Unknown, underappreciated restaurants

eagle

I like the restaurant thread but thought it'd be cool to hear some of your favorite spots that nobody knows about.

My favorite spot is Little Africa on Fulton/Diamond. His Ethiopian food is incredible. I spent a summer in Ethiopia and fell in love with their food there. Lou serves some of the best, most flavorful food you'll ever taste. And its vegetarian for those of you crazy vegetatians!

He does a terrible job marketing so nobody seems to know about it. I'd love for some UP'ers to go support his business to keep him in business. These are the kind of places we need to keep alive in G.R.

We also like the GAIA cafe on Diamond. It's also a vegetarian cafe and has great food. (Funny thing is I'm not a vegetarian.)

There's a great new deli that went in the new converted strip mall at Leonard and Monroe. Again, terrible marketing. It just looks like a party store but it has a great middle-eastern deli in it.

I hate to see these local entrepeneurs fail despite the fact that they provide such a superior product. They just don't have the money, or knowledge to compete with the franchises.

Anybody else that I need to go support?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite spot is Little Africa on Fulton/Diamond. His Ethiopian food is incredible. I spent a summer in Ethiopia and fell in love with their food there. Lou serves some of the best, most flavorful food you'll ever taste. And its vegetarian for those of you crazy vegetatians!

Do you know the appx. hours of little africa? I seem to recall a few years back that it seemed to be more of an art gallery that only served food once or twice a week, with a limited menu... But that was a long time ago.. Is it more of a regular restaurant than I recall?

Before it closed, Boston House on Kalamazoo Ave used to be my favorite hideaway place. 7 Mares across the street looks kind of unassuming but is really good. It's a great place to find authentic Mexican, including seafood and sandwiches. No tex mex here.

I'll second that. I love my steak, chicken, and ribs (Sandmans!), but I could go all green if I could eat at Little Africa everyday. Veggies have never tasted better.

And it's not much of a secret anymore, but Real Food Cafe in Alger Heights does an awesome breakfast.

I'll add one.. Wing Heaven on Wealthy just west of fuller. SOOOOOOO GOOD..

I hadn't been there in about 7 months since I've moved out of that part of town. However, when I went there on Christmas eve to pick up stuff for the family gathering they still remembered me. They thought I got mad b/c they changed thier Hot BBQ sauce :rofl:

Anyways really good food, and I noticed they expanded thier menu recently too. Also opened one in Muskegon. Great guys.

I'll add one.. Wing Heaven on Wealthy just west of fuller. SOOOOOOO GOOD..

All of the restaurants in the area of Wealthy and Fuller are great. Sandmann's, Wealthy St. Station (try the Station Burger and pirogues..........very yummy), Wing Heaven, Rhodes Rib Crib, and one of my personal favorites Jamaican Dave's.

Jamaican Dave's is in the Tillman strip mall (former McDonalds) on Wealthy St. They are in the very back of the strip mall. Very good food and there is no way you can walk out of there hungry. The jerk chicken and curry chicken are outstanding.

I highly recommend any of these places.

Fat Man Fish Fry on South Division, past 36th street, has some of the best seafood in the free world. My family has been going there since the early 80's and it has'nt changed a bit. However, they keep odd hours. I dont think they are even open on Mondays.

Golden 28 on 28th between 131 and Clyde Park. Looks kinda crummy but they have excellent food.

Fat Man Fish Fry on South Division, past 36th street, has some of the best seafood in the free world. My family has been going there since the early 80's and it has'nt changed a bit. However, they keep odd hours. I dont think they are even open on Mondays.

I agree Fat Mans is good if you like fried! Gordy's Supermarket just down the street from Fat Mans also has a HUGE selection of fried foods at their deli counter, their whitefish is great! Gordy's just sold to a new owner, so I'm not sure if the fried take-out will be staying.

Do you know the appx. hours of little africa? I seem to recall a few years back that it seemed to be more of an art gallery...

He started out as an import store but is now a sit-down and take out restaurant. PLEASE support him! His food is amazing but most unadventerous, Russ's loving people would never think to try Ethiopian. And those who would have never heard of it.

He's basically open 7 days a weeks from around 11:00 to 9:00 but being a one man show he does sometimes close. I always call first. 222-1169

Anyone who tries it will absolutely love it.

He started out as an import store but is now a sit-down and take out restaurant. PLEASE support him! His food is amazing but most unadventerous, Russ's loving people would never think to try Ethiopian. And those who would have never heard of it.

He's basically open 7 days a weeks from around 11:00 to 9:00 but being a one man show he does sometimes close. I always call first. 222-1169

Anyone who tries it will absolutely love it.

Thanks! I love ethiopian food. I used to live directly behind an ethiopian restaurant in East Lansing... and believe me, the smells were so amazing I ate there probably 3x per week! I'll probably check it out this weekend.

Ugh... I am soooo full!

I just got back from Little Africa and I want to give a big THANK YOU to whoever first posted about it. Absolutely amazing Ethiopian. The Injeera was the best I've ever had. Simply fantastic.

Last night I also got a chance to try out Jamaican Dave's. I'd have to agree, the chicken curry was awesome and I loved the jerk chicken even more.

So, where should I eat tomorrow night? I'm on a roll!! :P

I hear Wealthy Street Station in Eastown is very good and they have Polish, which can be kind of hard to find.

Try the pierogies, they rock. The Station burger is top notch as well. I had some kind of chicken sandwich from there today for lunch. It was tasty as well.

Archived