Charlotte is not Dixie

monsoon

It is hard sometimes to define the state. My group of friends are mostly from the south. However when the subject comes up I say I am from the south and they say where and I say North Carolina. Well the general response is North Carolina isn't south.

Where in the South were THOSE jokers from? Somebody skipped way too many geography lessons. :blink:

I don't see what's so appealing about identifying as "mid-Atlantic" as opposed to "Southern." The designation "Southern" isn't just a geographical term, but it also has cultural and societal connotations--some good, some not so good, and some in the midst of changing. In contrast, what cultural and societal connotations does the designation "mid-Atlantic" carry?

At any rate, Charlotte is still Dixie. :P

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to disagree with you a little bit...While it's true most of the area didn't really "pick a side" during the war, here in the northwestern Carolina mountains most of the locals would be boiling if you identified them as anything but Southerners. It's obviously not deep/full blown accent south, but the people just feel they are part of Dixie.

There seems to be a generalized view that west Carolina has a strong progressive attitude, but in reality, that couldn't be further from the truth. Outside of Asheville, very little has changed over the last few decades. I know because I've been here my entire life. (proud of it too) :thumbsup:

Well - I did note that western NC wasn't progressive, just a bit different than other parts of the south. Your point is absolutely true - there isn't much to disagree except what my intent was. 'Dixie' is an oddball term, it can mean all of the south or it can mean the 'Deep South' (MS, AL, GA). But I see the misunderstanding - I did make an assumption that 'Dixie' did not equal 'South'. Nonetheless, I think we're in agreement... I think :)

Haha, I just remembered the WWE (or whatever they are calling themselves now) has some roots in Charlotte when it bought the WCW. The WCW used to be based in CLT where it was known as Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling.

Where did that come from?

Ah, I see - but wrestling is supported in all parts of the country, & even in odd places like Italy where it is huge now. But that's worthy of a new thread - Ricky Steamboat & Wahoo McDaniel were my favorites.

^ I see - but I bet 'Mid Atlantic' included only Virginia & Maryland I bet, as well as South Carolina. Regarding 'sub-southern' cultural influences, I've always thought the colonial states as being distinct from the deep south states, this would also include coastal Georgia - just barely. But as Maryland has become a New Jersey - like state, mostly suburban & northern Virginia is a massive suburb of Washington - the concept of 'Mid Atlantic' has changed.

Mid Atlantic used to be like saying southern Atlantic, it was just the east half of the south. Now I do see the where the thought process has gone, as MD & northern VA have been annexed into 'the north' somehow that Mid Atlantic tag is being used as some useless example of 'sophistication'. But of course all yankees are sophisticated, right? ;)

But whatever, a word is just a word - sure Charlotte is a Mid-Atlantic city, but I still consider the Mid-Atlantic to be in the south :)

Actually - if I can clarify something, which may explain my confusion: when we are reffering to 'Dixie', do we mean the 'Deep South' or the 'South' in general? That might make my view simpler:

a) Yes - Charlotte is DEFINITELY in the south

b) No - Charlotte is not in the 'Deep South'

Or does that confound things further? :)

Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, is what I consider to be "deep south" states, more culturally than anything, those are the states where the deep south culture is alive. I also consider the Appalachian Mountains to have the deep south culture as well.

As long as it isn't an offensive term, I don't think that we should judge people by the words they use as I find it boring when everyone sounds as if they belong on a newscast. Yankee, to my knowledge is not an offensive word though it is generally used to denote an "outsider" if they are a transplant from the North. It is similar to the Japanese use of the word Gaijin. One of the great things about being in this region is the very colorful language that can be found here. (of course that is disappearing too because some people attach a stigma to it)

I will point out the British use Yankee in a slightly different way to describe Americans in general. These days is often shortened to Yank. I would not call them backwards either.

Not to bash anyone, but who the hell still uses the word "Yankee" to refer to non-southerners? That just sounds so backward.

Oh thats ok, I don't mind - I sometimes use 'yankee' when I'm being humerous, if not ironic. I typically don't acknowledge the difference between a 'southerner' or a 'northerner'. Nonetheless, it doesn't have any specific negative connotations, but the ideal 'Yankee' is more likely from Boston than New York City - it has roots more in New England (such as 'The Yankee Workshop'). But true - New York City is home to the baseball team 'Yankees'. But I'm just joking anyways, this appears to be in all fun - considering we're actually debating if Charlotte is southern or not ;)

But define 'backward', regional distinctions are common place & using the term 'yankee' is describing a specific region. If 'yankee' is backwards to use as a regional describer, then 'redneck' for describing the south is too - which is understood. But the Northeast should be so lucky to have such a rich & colorful nickname to describe themself - the term 'yankee' is the most historically patriotic term in the US.

"Yankee" was first used as a derogatory term for dutch New Yorkers when the british took over. Jan Kees is a common dutch name.

I think it became patriotic because the yankees were anti british during the Revolutionary War. Like all patriotic terms that were originally negative and became positive during time of war, they eventually became names for sports teams. Locally, "Tar Heels" and "Hornets" were derrogatory terms that locals converted to positive meaning during war time, and they eventually became sports names.

I was born in NJ but moved to SC 28 + years ago as a kid. I never picked up a southern accent and am called a Yankee all the time (actually, a "damn Yankee"). It's weird in a sense the regionalism still seen here. Go to NY and yell "the north sucks", to Chicago and yell "the midwest sucks", or to LA and yell "the west sucks", and natives will likely laugh at you or agree with you. Stand on a corner in Charlotte and yell "the south sucks" and natives would get as offended and angry as if you insulted their mother. It's kind of funny.

So what is the difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee? I recently had this explained to me. A Yankee is a northerner who visits and leaves. A "damn" Yankee is one who visits, and stays. I guess a "angel love Yankee" is one who always says "that's how we used to do it up north". Even I admit they can be annoying.

..... I guess a "angel love Yankee" is one who always says "that's how we used to do it up north". Even I admit they can be annoying.

Haha, the cursing nanny does not like that word, but I know what you mean.

In SC I've heard a slightly different version of this....

"A yankee is someone from NC, a damn yankee is anyone from further north than that.... :lol: "

Archived