ACC sports talk

NcSc74

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^ would that be because not all cities have a part of the best conference in all of sports

?

TOP 25 in basketball right now:

BIG TEN

#7 Illinois

#9 Indiana

#14 Michigan State

#19 Ohio State

#21 Wisconsin

Iowa and Michigan got votes as well

BIG EAST

#3 Villanova

#4 Connecticut

#10 Louisville

#12 Pittsburgh

#16 West Virgina

#25 Cincinnati

ACC

#1 Duke

#15 Boston College

#18 NC State

#20 NC

#23 Maryland

WF got votes as well.

Football teams that made bowl games:

Big 10

Penn State

Ohio State

Wisconsin

Iowa

Northwestern

Michigan

Minnesota

Big East

West Virgina

Louisville

ACC

VTech

Miami

Boston College

Clemson

Florida State

Virginia

NC State

Conclusions:

The Big 10 and ACC are really equals in basketball, the Big East is quite impressive there. For football, the Big 10 put out better teams, most notably Penn State and Ohio State, this year than the ACC did.

I can see where the case can be made for either conference, but the history and the overall power of the Big 10 make it, IMO, the best conference in collegiate sports.

Even though I think the Big 10 is the best conference in sports, I like the Big East the best.

Yea, they (ACC) won the challenge 6-5. That is not a very close series at all if we are going to talk about that.

-----------------------------------

Now a comparison of history.

Here are the top 5 schools in terms of national championships:

1 UCLA 11

2 Kentucky 7

3 Indiana 5

4 North Carolina 4

5 Duke 3

The only other ACC teams to win national championships are NC State, and Maryland with one each.

In the BIG 10, Michigan has won 1, MSU has won 2, Ohio State has won 1, and Wisconsin has won 1.

Yea, they (ACC) won the challenge 6-5. That is not a very close series at all if we are going to talk about that.

1 UCLA 11

2 Kentucky 7

3 Indiana 5

4 North Carolina 4

5 Duke 3

The only other ACC teams to win national championships are NC State, and Maryland with one each.

In the BIG 10, Michigan has won 1, MSU has won 2, Ohio State has won 1, and Wisconsin has won 1.

00s - ACC - 3 NCAA champions (01, 02, 05)

Big Ten - 1 NCAA champion (00)

90s - ACC - 3 NCAA champions (91, 92, 93)

Big Ten - 0

80s - ACC - 2 NCAA champions (82, 83)

Big Ten - 3 NCAA champions (81, 87, 89)

70s - ACC - 1 NCAA champion (74)*

Big Ten - 2 NCAA champions (76, 79)

60s - ACC - 0

Big Ten 1 NCAA champion (60)

50s - ACC - 1 NCAA champion (57)

Big Ten 1 NCAA champion (53)

40s - ACC 0

Big Ten - 2 NCAA champions (40, 41)

*One ACC winner you missed was NC State in 1974 (the David Thompson Era).

That evens the score at 10-10. While the Big Ten and the ACC can both be proud of their consistency of college basketball excellence, you'll note that in the last 14 seasons, the ACC has won 6 championships to the Big Ten's 1 championship. Since the inception of the ACC - Big Ten Challenge (and I could be wrong on this), I'm pretty sure the ACC has won every time. And, on the way to their championship last season, UNC defeated the Big Ten's 1, 2, and 3 teams - Wisconsin in the Elite 8, Michigan State in the Final 4 and Illinois in the Championship. Also, UNC was declared the National Champion in 1924 when they went undefeated.

^ Very true. I apologize for leaving that NC State championship out, my eyes must have missed it when I was compiling the list.

My whole point was that the Big 10 and the ACC are on the same level. I never stated that the Big 10 was far and away better than the ACC, they are both power conferences.

It is not the case that "The Big 10 doesn't even come anywhere close to the ACC in basketball".

That said, the whole debate is not too important to me, and I apolgize to NcSc74 for hijacking his thread. :)

Ok the traditional ACC teams are not the consistent football powerhouses but there are some champions to be found. Georgia Tech, Clemson and Maybe Maryland way back in the day. Does anyone remember when Mack Brown had UNC playing well each year he was there. His last year (before he turned his back on us) there the team went 11-1 and finished the season with a devastating win over Virginia Tech. Our only loss that year was to Florida State 20-7. I remember it well because I was there in Kenan stadium. My cousin was going to Carolina and he hooked my up with some killer seats. That stadium was soooo loud. The Mack Brown era teams produced big time NFL players...Dre Bly, Ryan Simms, Vonnie Holiday, Ebenezer Ekuban, and I know I am missing some others.

I cant believe I'm reading that the Big 10 is as good as the ACC in basketball. The ACC beats the Big 10 in the "Challenge" every year. I would say the ACC would be closer to the Big East, but now that I think about it, the ACC would and does blow the Big East away.

Big East vs. ACC:

1. NC State (ACC #5) beat UConn (Big East #2) in the tourney last year.

2. NC State beat last year's best Big East team (BC) by 18 at BC (was it just me, or was that game really really quiet on TV)

3. Last year's RPI rankings had the ACC #1, Big East #4

4. If the Big East is going to have 29 teams in their conference, then they better have at least 6 in the top 25 - top to bottom ACC hands down

5. ACC's top (Duke, Carowhina, GT, and State) vs. Big East's top (G-town, WVU, Pitt, Syracuse) - I gotta believe the ACC goes 3-1 (with UNC losing to whoever they play)

1 UCLA 11

2 Kentucky 7

3 Indiana 5

4 North Carolina 4

5 Duke 3

Just throwing out some more numbers:

The top 5 schools in terms of winning percentage in the NCAA tournament:

1. Duke 83-26 / 0.7615

2. UCLA 85-32 / 0.7265

3. UNC 88-36 / 0.7097

4. Kentucky 98-42 / 0.7000

5. UNLV 30-17 / 0.6977

Final Four appearences:

Big Ten - 42 :: ACC - 40 :: Big East - 31

The ACC has won the ACC/Big Ten Challenge every year and leads by a total of 40-24

(1999 5-4, 2000 5-4, 2001 5-3, 2002 5-4, 2003 7-2, 2004 7-2, 2005 6-5)

Number of lottery picks in the NBA Draft since the lottery began in 1985:

ACC - 41 :: Big East - 25 :: Big Ten - 20

With that said, the Duke-Maryland game tonight should be fantastic. :D

As Jumboman implied, the ACC/Big 10 challenge can hardly be called a challenge. The Big 10 hasn't won an ACC/Big 10 event yet! Speaking of which, when is UNC going to get recognized as the Big 10 Champion of '05? I mean we did beat the Big 10's 3 best schools in 3 consecutive games, that's good for a conference title, right?

Yes the '05 challenge was a very close one, but most of them have been very lopsided and decided very early. Don't get me wrong, the Big Ten has fielded some excellent basketball teams and has some great programs, but on the subject of basketball, the ACC is the best in all the land.

Football is a different matter altogether, the ACC is a basketball conference that keeps recruiting/stealing strong football programs in hopes of becoming a football conference.

I do not think that Carolina will be Duke this year. Just because its at the Dean Dome, means nothing - they lost to Miami at home today! The only ACC team that has a chance is N.C. State. Redick has always said that Bennerman and Atsur are probably the best defenders against him, and with Brackman and Ced down low, State can definently keep Sheldon under control. Its too bad that they only play at Cameron. Watch out for it though!!!

GO PACK!!!

Did anyone else see Dook BARELY win at Cameron vs. Virginia Tech? In the ACC anyone can beat anyone in any game. Dook will lose this season: the season is just too long and too grueling not to lose. Who knows, they might even get through the regular season unblemished. I assure you that come April there will be a mark in the "L" column.

Archived