River Rail

skirby

There have been a number of post on this so I thought it would be good to have its own topic.

The River Rail first opened with Phase One in November 2004. Construction has started on Phase Two with operations to begin in November 2006.

lrcvbimgriverrailmaplg6yj.jpg

There are three cars in operation with two more on order.

Phase Two will have three stops making a total for the line of fourteen.

Phase Three is undecided but should be built in North Little Rock.

Ride the trolley. Its the best 50 cents you will ever spend.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a question.

How full are the River Rail Cars throughout the day?

Do they stay actively full all year?

They are used daily... but I have seldom seen them full. I don't work downtown though.

To me, they are still more of a novelty item. I am glad we have them. I hope the lines continue to expand as venues come online. It is good to have the rail system in place early on, especially the part that connects the two cities, than to try to implement a light rail when everything is already built.

I've got a question.

How full are the River Rail Cars throughout the day?

Do they stay actively full all year?

They stay pretty busy on Saturdays and on other days it could be hit or miss. I've been on there when I was the only rider and by the time I got off 20 people might have got on.

It had around 180,000 riders last year.

I think ridership will go up alot next year. The extension to the Clinton Library and Heifer International will be in use on the southside. In NLR, within three blocks of the line, the Enclave and Dickey-Stephens Park will be open.

Any ideas how much it cost to get all of this underway in the beginning?

Phase I cost around $19 million with the local cost only about 20 percent. Not bad when you consider the cost of the walk/bike bridge over Murray Lock and Dam is $11 million. When the other two bridge projects are complete the cost to walk or bike over the three bridges will be close to $20 million.

Phase I cost around $19 million with the local cost only about 20 percent. Not bad when you consider the cost of the walk/bike bridge over Murray Lock and Dam is $11 million. When the other two bridge projects are complete the cost to walk or bike over the three bridges will be close to $20 million.

Yeah 20% local cost is pretty good. Was the rest picked up from the federal government? I'd really like for Fayetteville to look into something like the River Rail and would like to get some details before I try to get some people to at least try to look more into this.

• 3 weeks later...

There have been a number of post on this so I thought it would be good to have its own topic.

The River Rail first opened with Phase One in November 2004. Construction has started on Phase Two with operations to begin in November 2006.

lrcvbimgriverrailmaplg6yj.jpg

There are three cars in operation with two more on order.

Phase Two will have three stops making a total for the line of fourteen.

Phase Three is undecided but should be built in North Little Rock.

Ride the trolley. Its the best 50 cents you will ever spend.

Phase Two will be a double track going south on Commerce then turing east on Third. It will pass the Acxiom building on its way down Third. The stops will be southbound on Commerce between 2nd and 3rd, the extension terminus, west of World Street and south of 3rd Street and westbound at the corner of Third and Commerce.

To keep updated in the two new trolleys being built by Gomaco Trolley Company for the River Rail check out Gomaco's website.

Thanks for posting the site, it was pretty cool to see. :D Looks like they're also making replica Birney trolleys for Memphis and Charlotte as well. I didn't see any mention on when the two new ones would be ready, any ideas?

Thanks for posting the site, it was pretty cool to see. :D Looks like they're also making replica Birney trolleys for Memphis and Charlotte as well. I didn't see any mention on when the two new ones would be ready, any ideas?

They should be in LR when Phase II of the River Rail opens in November.

• 2 weeks later...

The River Rail has tansported 210,000 riders from its opening through the end of January. But January had the lowest number of riders so far. When Phase II is finished the shuttle bus to the Clinton Library will be stopped. These riders will probably switch over to the trolley. Due to speed of construction Phase II may be finished by September or October.

The River Rail has tansported 210,000 riders from its opening through the end of January. But January had the lowest number of riders so far. When Phase II is finished the shuttle bus to the Clinton Library will be stopped. These riders will probably switch over to the trolley. Due to speed of construction Phase II may be finished by September or October.

With them adding the Clinton Library on the trolley route I can see the numbers going up quite a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived