River Rail

skirby

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the update skirby.

A bit off topic here but does anyone think any other part of Arkansas could support a trolley system? I was in Eureka Springs last week and saw some old photos with the old trolley system. Not sure if Eureka Springs would really have to money or would even want to bother with trying to put in a real trolley again.

Thanks for the update skirby.

A bit off topic here but does anyone think any other part of Arkansas could support a trolley system? I was in Eureka Springs last week and saw some old photos with the old trolley system. Not sure if Eureka Springs would really have to money or would even want to bother with trying to put in a real trolley again.

I think a trolly around Dickson street, the square, and the University in Fayetteville is the only other place that could support one.

I think it'd be a neat asset to the area, too.

I think a trolly around Dickson street, the square, and the University in Fayetteville is the only other place that could support one.

I think it'd be a neat asset to the area, too.

I certainly wouldn't mind having one here. I had wondered if Eureka Springs could use one. Not sure if they really need it over their current bus system.

I certainly wouldn't mind having one here. I had wondered if Eureka Springs could use one. Not sure if they really need it over their current bus system.

I'm not sure it could make it up that damn hill.

I do think the UA and Fayetteville could cooperate on a trolley system that would include the campus itself, Dickson, and the square and it would be heavily utilized by students and tourists. I could concievably see it working in downtown Hot Springs as well but it would be tricky to do there.

I do think the UA and Fayetteville could cooperate on a trolley system that would include the campus itself, Dickson, and the square and it would be heavily utilized by students and tourists. I could concievably see it working in downtown Hot Springs as well but it would be tricky to do there.

Yeah you could be right on Fayetteville. As far as Eureka Springs I do know they had trolleys in the past. Although I admit I don't know what routes they ran. Isn't San Fran rather hilly as well and has trolleys? Then again I also can't say I know where the trolleys run there either.

Hot Springs? Try impossible. Traffic is already at standstill without a trolley to block two of four lanes.

Hot Springs? Try impossible. Traffic is already at standstill without a trolley to block two of four lanes.

That would be the problem I speak of when I said it would be "tricky". Of course theoretically the trolley would decrease the number of cars. A New Orleans-style median trolley could work but that would mean destroying the fountains and landscaping that is so attractive on Central, which I wouldn't support.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the trolley line extension. Work has been completed on the extension of the rail except for "specialty track located at 2nd and Commerce (tie- in to existing system) and track switch at World Street and 3rd Street". These are being fabricated at another location. CAT expects construction to resume in August. Poles are in place but work remains for the World Street terminus stop. Overhead power line still have to be placed.

Location of the World St. station stop. Just south of the Clinton Library and east of Heifer International.

dscf26476hg.jpg

Thanks for the update skirby. I actually got a chance to see some of the progress this weekend as I stopped by to take some pics.

One of your pics of Heifer International show the power poles lined up along 3rd. Very nice shot.

Mith242 pic from May 15th.

img8215ss8vf.jpg

Update on the trolley line extension. Work has been completed on the extension of the rail except for "specialty track located at 2nd and Commerce (tie- in to existing system) and track switch at World Street and 3rd Street". These are being fabricated at another location. CAT expects construction to resume in August. Poles are in place but work remains for the World Street terminus stop. Overhead power line still have to be placed.

Location of the World St. station stop. Just south of the Clinton Library and east of Heifer International.

dscf26476hg.jpg

I remember seeing this stop under construction as well when I was in LR about a month ago.

Thanks for the update.

One of your pics of Heifer International show the power poles lined up along 3rd. Very nice shot.

Mith242 pic from May 15th.

Yeah I had considered taking more pics of the poles along the street. But I had taken quite a few pics in Hot Springs and was trying not to go too overboard so early into my Little Rock photo tour.

Interesting news on Phase III of River Rail. The plans call for Phase III to be built in North Little Rock. But the Mayor of NLR says an extension to the LR airport might benefit the city more than additional track in NRL at this time.

Interesting news on Phase III of River Rail. The plans call for Phase III to be built in North Little Rock. But the Mayor of NLR says an extension to the LR airport might benefit the city more than additional track in NRL at this time.

It would have to be high speed or something....which would cost a lot more money then you're plain ole' river rail.

It would have to be high speed or something....which would cost a lot more money then you're plain ole' river rail.

As I understand it, the infrastructure in place is suited for "light-rail" - the experience is just a product of what type of car/vehicle is used. The rail and electrical service is the same. The current streetcars can move quite fast if conditions allow.

As I understand it, the infrastructure in place is suited for "light-rail" - the experience is just a product of what type of car/vehicle is used. The rail and electrical service is the same. The current streetcars can move quite fast if conditions allow.

That's good news.

Traffic is a nightmare on Clinton Ave....They'd have to have a transition point somewhere near either the clinton library or immediately around I-30.

Trolley #411 was completed and departed for Little Rock this week. Work on #412 continues at the shop of Gomaco Trolley Company. Picture of #411 on the truck ready for the trip to LR.

trolly4111tw.jpg

Th trolley has arrived in NLR. Also, the trolley barn will have to be expanded before #412 arrives. It was built to hold four cars and with #412 there will be five for the River Rail system.

I found this picture of #411 arriving in NLR.

trolley0406062r3pm.jpg

Thanks for the update skirby. That's one thing I keep forgetting to get a picture of when I'm in Little Rock. I have some shots with a trolley off in the distance. But some close shots would be nice as well in my collection.

• 1 month later...

The River Rail has been shut down. The demolittion of the old bus station on Main has resulted in damage to the cable, track and poles. It is unknown at this time how long it will take to repair.

That's terrible, as it's convention season.

Any idea if Stephens will be footing the repair bill or if the city will take on the cost?

Archived