River Rail

skirby

I saw the River Rail mentioned on one of the Southern USA topics about transit. He mentioned that he thought it was just for tourism. Then I got to then I wasn't sure what all it was used for so I thought I'd ask you guys what you think River Rail is mainly used for.

Economic development was one of the main goals for the River Rail. NLR has not developed as of now and I think the track on 2nd street was not a good idea. Instead of going to the airport I would rather see the track continue down Commerce to Capitol Ave. West on Capitol to Spring and back to Markham. By doing this the River City Travel Center as well as the CBD would be connected to the River Rail.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Memphis is planning to build an extension of its trolley system to Memphis International and I believe that is more than 4 miles to the downtown area.

I think I read somewhere that the current street cars can reach of up to 20 mph so it wouldn' take long to make the trip from the airport to downtown.

Other stops along the way would have to include any new developments between the airport and downtown, but it may just be a direct connection between downtown and the airport.

Memphis plans are the link the Madison Ave. line to the airport with light rail. When this is done the Madison line will be converted to light rail from the present trolley.

I saw the River Rail mentioned on one of the Southern USA topics about transit. He mentioned that he thought it was just for tourism. Then I got to then I wasn't sure what all it was used for so I thought I'd ask you guys what you think River Rail is mainly used for.

Yes, it is used mostly for tourism, but there are some who use it as a transportation option. I've been on the trolley when people have gotten on to get to a specific point and not just ride the entire loop.

• 1 month later...

Construction has started again in the River Rail. The intersection of 2nd and Commerce is closed due to the installation of the tie- in between the existing system and the extension. This work should be completed by the end of next week. Then work will begin on the installation of the switch at 3rd and World. This will complete all track work for the extension. After this the overhead wiring will be installed in November.

• 3 weeks later...

Economic development was one of the main goals for the River Rail. NLR has not developed as of now and I think the track on 2nd street was not a good idea. Instead of going to the airport I would rather see the track continue down Commerce to Capitol Ave. West on Capitol to Spring and back to Markham. By doing this the River City Travel Center as well as the CBD would be connected to the River Rail.

I think running it down 2nd to spur development was a GREAT idea! Why would you think not? I am privy to a specific development proposed along 2nd for row-houses; and there's only more where that came from. Light rail/trolley is a huge growth/development catalyst that is often used to spur and define growth patterns. You don't have to just locate it where there is already mature development.

I concur on your thoughts on routes in downtown LR, but would add a loop down main all the way into the Quapaw Quarter, then back up Center.

I think running it down 2nd to spur development was a GREAT idea! Why would you think not? I am privy to a specific development proposed along 2nd for row-houses; and there's only more where that came from. Light rail/trolley is a huge growth/development catalyst that is often used to spur and define growth patterns. You don't have to just locate it where there is already mature development.

I concur on your thoughts on routes in downtown LR, but would add a loop down main all the way into the Quapaw Quarter, then back up Center.

While I agree, I think extending it into the CBD skyscraper district is important. It will allow us to offer a way for downtown workers to reach the River Market for lunch, return to condos in the River Market where they might choose to live, or attend a game in NLR after work. Also, as skirb said it ABSOLUTELY should connect to the River Cities Travel Center. Integrating bus with rail is the 1st step in building a rail system. That would substantially improve ridership. I think it's important in transitioning the River Rail from a novelty for tourists to a functional transit system.

Actually if there was a place I wonder about extending the River Rail, it's Maple in NLR. I would've preferred to have part of the line closer to the arena and the new Enclave development.

As far a running down 2nd, I think 3rd would have been a better choice. There are more development options on 3rd than 2nd. But I don't see them doing that now. They could continue down Commerce St. to Capitol Ave. Go West on Capitol to Spring and back to Markham. This way the River Rail would connect the River Cities Transit Center, the CBD and the River Market.

• 3 weeks later...

Construction has started again in the River Rail. The intersection of 2nd and Commerce is closed due to the installation of the tie- in between the existing system and the extension. This work should be completed by the end of next week. Then work will begin on the installation of the switch at 3rd and World. This will complete all track work for the extension. After this the overhead wiring will be installed in November.

The switch for 3rd and World has finally arrived in Little Rock. Parts of 3rd and World will be closed for the next two weeks for installation. Construction for the line extension is now scheduled to be complete at the end of December. Look for the opening sometime in January.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ridership for 2006 has been announced at 121,500. The downturn was placed on the hot August weather and a slowdown in summer tourists. The summer and winter months should see the most ridership due to the weather. The trolleys are nice and cool when it is 100 outside. I think ridership will increase with the extension and Dickey-Stephens Park opening up. They need to build a nice covered trolley stop at Maple and Broadway. It would be a short walk to the ballpark from this stop. Also, I think they should move the River Market stop around the corner just North of the Cox Building on Commerce. This would allow traffic to move better down Clinton Ave. and there is space to build a nice shelter/stop.

Ridership for 2006 has been announced at 121,500. The downturn was placed on the hot August weather and a slowdown in summer tourists. The summer and winter months should see the most ridership due to the weather. The trolleys are nice and cool when it is 100 outside. I think ridership will increase with the extension and Dickey-Stephens Park opening up. They need to build a nice covered trolley stop at Maple and Broadway. It would be a short walk to the ballpark from this stop. Also, I think they should move the River Market stop around the corner just North of the Cox Building on Commerce. This would allow traffic to move better down Clinton Ave. and there is space to build a nice shelter/stop.

Good point, I think parking issues at Dickey-Stephens are going to be a problem. Using free parking across the river and taking the trolley would solve that. How late does River Rail run?

Good point, I think parking issues at Dickey-Stephens are going to be a problem. Using free parking across the river and taking the trolley would solve that. How late does River Rail run?

MTW/10p.m. THFSat/midnight and Sun/5p.m. The could always run a ballpark special and promote it with the ballpark.

MTW/10p.m. THFSat/midnight and Sun/5p.m. The could always run a ballpark special and promote it with the ballpark.

I agree, that would work well. Extending the line with a ballpark stop might work as well. River Rail doesn't have the capacity to help much with large Alltel events but it sure could help with DS events.

Ah....I was wondering what all the "fuss" was about in today's newspaper in the editorial section (cartoon included). So, you say it is down. How does this compare to last year?

I think the criticism is completely unjustified and those who say it is a waste do not comprehend that it is the foundation for expansion into a more practical urban transportation system....not to mention that it is visionary and progressive compared to most cities this size (and larger). There is always some other need that every dollar could be thrown to...

Ah....I was wondering what all the "fuss" was about in today's newspaper in the editorial section (cartoon included). So, you say it is down. How does this compare to last year?

I think the criticism is completely unjustified and those who say it is a waste do not comprehend that it is the foundation for expansion into a more practical urban transportation system....not to mention that it is visionary and progressive compared to most cities this size (and larger). There is always some other need that every dollar could be thrown to...

The ridership figure for 2005 was 159,000 but this included transfers between LR/NLR part of the year. I've seen pictures from the past where they would connect two trolleys together to carry more people. This should be done during Riverfest. Operating only one trolley to cross the river is a disservice for Riverfest. I rode it last year and the trolley was packed and people were left standing in line to get on. My main criticism of the River Rail is the lack of promotion and marketing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Phase II of the River Rail will have its grand opening Feb. 16th and 17th. During those two days you can ride the trolley for free. Also, service will now start at 8:30 A.M. instead of 11:00. During the summer service starts at 7:30 on Saturdays.

Two days before the extension opening and there is no promotion. This is the main problem I have with the River Rail. Central Arkansas Transit Authority has nothing about it on their website. The cities of LR/NLR's websites do not mention it. Nor does the Little Rock Convention & Visitors Bureau's website. Also, there is no mention of the extension opening by Heifer International or the Clinton Library. On top of this there is nothing about it on the River Market website. Maybe the new director of CAT will understand something about advertising and promotion.

Two days before the extension opening and there is no promotion. This is the main problem I have with the River Rail. Central Arkansas Transit Authority has nothing about it on their website. The cities of LR/NLR's websites do not mention it. Nor does the Little Rock Convention & Visitors Bureau's website. Also, there is no mention of the extension opening by Heifer International or the Clinton Library. On top of this there is nothing about it on the River Market website. Maybe the new director of CAT will understand something about advertising and promotion.

I've always thought that CATA should advertise its services more. I know money is tight, but it should put some more funds into advertising. I think it would be helpful, especially this summer when gas prices shoot back up and more people look to CAT.

Archived