The Kline Steel Project

The_sandlapper

More good news for this site! There are plans to build more than what was previously announced. The new plans will potentially rival Canalside.

Details include:

eight-story complex of condos, offices, stores, grassy plazas and a hotel.

1.3 million square feet

A walkway under the hotel would lead to the State Museum, EdVenture Children

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great news. I'm interested in seeing the style of the buildings. The subterranean connection from the hotel to the museum area is brilliant. And on the graphic you can see that Lady Street will terminate at the hotel -- so if it's a good design, that'll look really cool coming down Lady. Nice touch with the courtyard and fountain in front. You know... it's too bad they can't have an adjoining structure on that corner of Lady & Huger and do a tunnel under Huger there.

I saw some land cleared next to the State Museum when I was down that way Sunday. Is that where this project is projected to go, or will this land be for the museum's planned expansion?

The article talked about a condo tower planned for CanalSide. I didn't know that.

It's good to see more hotels coming to downtown Columbia; God knows the city needs them. Wasn't there talk about another hotel locating in the Vista beside the Hilton?

Anyone know what the current height limit is in the Vista?

The village or neighborhood concept the developers are pursuing in Columbia is truly a great idea. Maybe more people will live and work in the same complex or neighborhood and reduce the need for more and more freeways into/outof midtown.

Chicago is famous for its high rise multi-use buildings. Who knows, maybe someday Columbia will pursue a high rise village on Main Street!

............................................................................ :D

This is a great project overall, but the city's master plan for the vista may require some adjustments. The city supposedly wants to keep the view corridor to the River open on Lady Street. I think that would be better, since most of the street view coridors are blocked. The second item is that the height may be an issue.

However, the project looks great and the underground parking is a huge bonus IMO. I'm sure the aforementioned issues can be resolved.

BTW, a good friend of mine's family owns the property across Gervais. This is were the McDonald's is. McDonald's leases from them. The land beside and behind McDonalds is currently 'under contract' to a developer. This site would be 1.3 acres. My friend and this same developer have also been negotiating for an adjoining 1 acre parcel.

My friend doesn't know a lot about their plans, but thinks it is probably at least 4 levels and mixed use. Price and terms are settled on the 1.3 acre parcel, but the 1 acre parcel price was a sticking point. With this announcement, the developer might be more likely to pay the high price and take the whole 2.3 acres.

I will try to get an update in the near future.

Does anyone have information on the Gateway to the City of Columbia?

I'm hearing lots of great discussion on the front porch and front door of the City,

Are there any planning or old propsal noted on the Gateway to Columbia from the West 1-26

Great news on WALmart superstore... Kline Iron and Steel proposal. :D

The village or neighborhood concept the developers are pursuing in Columbia is truly a great idea. Maybe more people will live and work in the same complex or neighborhood and reduce the need for more and more freeways into/outof midtown.

Chicago is famous for its high rise multi-use buildings. Who knows, maybe someday Columbia will pursue a high rise village on Main Street!

............................................................................ :D

Yeah see that's why I like cities like Chicago. I like the idea of being able to work, eat, and play in relatively the same neighborhood I live in! That's the cool thing about a city like Chi is that you have several different villages located throughout the city. I know Cola is some years away from that but you can see the seeds in places like Bull St., Main, Vista, 5 points, Canalside, New Brookland, & such.

Welcome to the forum, Foxtrot22. :thumbsup:

Vic, good point about the Vista masterplan. There's so much going on there or planned to go on that the dots will certainly need to be connected.

Thanks for the welcoming krazeeboi: :blush:

I enjoy reading about our city... I am new to the forum, and have not quite learn how to navigate

through the vast listings.. Do you know whether or not I'd receive a response to my curiosity? :unsure:

Welcome to the forum, Foxtrot22. :thumbsup:

Vic, good point about the Vista masterplan. There's so much going on there or planned to go on that the dots will certainly need to be connected.

I have heard the mayor talk about connecting the dots in a couple of his speeches. Call your city council reps and urge them to get on board.

Thanks for the welcoming krazeeboi: :blush:

I enjoy reading about our city... I am new to the forum, and have not quite learn how to navigate

through the vast listings.. Do you know whether or not I'd receive a response to my curiosity? :unsure:

The South Carolina forumers are a friendly bunch. Don't be shy, I'm sure you'll feel right at home.

I have heard the mayor talk about connecting the dots in a couple of his speeches. Call your city council reps and urge them to get on board.

I'll do that, as a future resident of the city of course. :thumbsup:

I like the way all these developments are sprouting up all over the area . This kline develpment sounds promising and brings more residential housing downtown. Can't wait to see a design of the buildings!! Does anyone have any pics of the developments going on in the vista?

I like the way all these developments are sprouting up all over the area . This kline develpment sounds promising and brings more residential housing downtown. Can't wait to see a design of the buildings!! Does anyone have any pics of the developments going on in the vista?

Maybe I'll go on a photoshoot sometime this weekend. Renaissance Plaza is really coming around, as is the new condo development on Main, First Citizens, The Spur, Carolina Walk, Stadium Village Lofts, The Olympia Mill Apts, etc.

Archived