The Kline Steel Project

The_sandlapper

I would assume that this would depend on the success of the North Main streetscape. Also it would most likely be started after Lady and Five Points are completed. Sure they're a hassle as well as being time-consuming and expensive, but they've got to get done. I'd say look for it to begin sometime next year.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know a timetable for the Kline project? I saw some people talking about how a rendering of it was shown on a cable access channel recentlly. Is there a pic of this rendering on the net anywhere? I assume the main holdup is still waiting on the bus barn to move, right?

I don't know. I saw that rendering on the local access channel this morning (I'm in Columbia for the weekend). Its going to be a very exciting developemtn foru Columbia. its a true urban project. Nice density, and a defiante first for South Carolina. :)

All I know is that it was approved. Maybe they will have some renderings in the paper tomorrow?

Anyone know a timetable for the Kline project? I saw some people talking about how a rendering of it was shown on a cable access channel recentlly. Is there a pic of this rendering on the net anywhere? I assume the main holdup is still waiting on the bus barn to move, right?

The bus barn is not in the way. It has nothing to do with this project. When the bus barn moves it will open up yet more space across Washington Street from the Kline property.

The bus barn is not in the way. It has nothing to do with this project. When the bus barn moves it will open up yet more space across Washington Street from the Kline property.

No, the bus barn is not in the way, but the last article about this project said the developers plan to purchase that property also. So I didn't know if they were waiting on that property, or if they were going ahead and getting started.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/13588922.htm

Can anyone try to describe the renderings they saw on public access TV?

The renderings overall seemed somewhat reminiscent of the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center but taller and with proportionately more glass and not much in the way of continuously solid brick like the convention center. It speaks to the past and to the future. Lady Street continues across Huger with buildings at the corners. The tallest part of the eight-story office building is at Gervais and Huger, but the building lines Huger for a good ways. All parking is in the interior. No corner is without a building on the outsides of the project. There is nothing suburban about it in any way. As you ride down Lady Street from Assembly it looks as though you will crash into the hotel if you keep going, but once you cross Huger on Lady you see that you will be going through/underneath the hotel. You can see the hotel from Huger, between the buildings that flank Lady. In the interior there are public squares. Trees, flowers, pedestrians and natural light will rule.

The renderings overall seemed somewhat reminiscent of the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center but taller and with proportionately more glass and not much in the way of continuously solid brick like the convention center. It speaks to the past and to the future. Lady Street continues across Huger with buildings at the corners. The tallest part of the eight-story office building is at Gervais and Huger, but the building lines Huger for a good ways. All parking is in the interior. No corner is without a building on the outsides of the project. There is nothing suburban about it in any way. As you ride down Lady Street from Assembly it looks as though you will crash into the hotel if you keep going, but once you cross Huger on Lady you see that you will be going through/underneath the hotel. You can see the hotel from Huger, between the buildings that flank Lady. In the interior there are public squares. Trees, flowers, pedestrians and natural light will rule.

That is an excellent analogy and description, Corgi. I have searched the web for pictures of the renderings, but no luck. :(

Well, they always say you find things when you're not looking for them:

015p3_lg.jpg

Courtesy of The Columbia Star (wish it was in color though).

Well, at first glance, that pic looks like a low income housing project from the 60's. Maybe it's just because it's black and white.

Great development for infill. With the townhouses developed in the vista,canalside,kline project,condo projects downtown,the biggest the state hospital property,and not forgetting olympia mills project and area. With more residential developments promised. Columbia census in 2010 should easliy surpass 250K.

Great development for infill. With the townhouses developed in the vista,canalside,kline project,condo projects downtown,the biggest the state hospital property,and not forgetting olympia mills project and area. With more residential developments promised. Columbia census in 2010 should easliy surpass 250K.

Hmm, I don't see it being that high by 2010.

Well, at first glance, that pic looks like a low income housing project from the 60's. Maybe it's just because it's black and white.

This is shot from the interior and shows the lowest height without much of the glass I saw on t.v.

Let's shoot for 150k!! I think we can make it, plus the Burnside property development taking place and alot of developments in SE Columbia and N. Columbia redevelopment which should bring people back to that area

Canalside and the Bull Street campus will be developed in phases, so I highly doubt that both of those will be totally completed by 2010 (especially the Bull Street campus). Even so, I doubt that all of these projects would essentially double the city's population by 2010.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived