The Kline Steel Project

The_sandlapper

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The vista area is coming along fine... :D Can't wait to see this same area next year around this time. I wonder when this Kline Steel project will start??

They still have a few details to work out: Vista height limits, traffic flow, etc. I bet they will break ground by this time next year.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, a good friend of mine's family owns the property across Gervais. This is were the McDonald's is. McDonald's leases from them. The land beside and behind McDonalds is currently 'under contract' to a developer. This site would be 1.3 acres. My friend and this same developer have also been negotiating for an adjoining 1 acre parcel.

My friend doesn't know a lot about their plans, but thinks it is probably at least 4 levels and mixed use. Price and terms are settled on the 1.3 acre parcel, but the 1 acre parcel price was a sticking point. With this announcement, the developer might be more likely to pay the high price and take the whole 2.3 acres.

I will try to get an update in the near future.

According to my source, this project is moving forward. Also, the developer is buying both tracts, and the area is actually 3.3 acres, not 2.3 as I stated before. They are paying big money for the land, so I would expect a pretty dense project. Someone take some pics of the Gervais and Huger intersection now, because it will look a lot different in a couple of years.

Yeah we do need more tall structures...Downtown Columbia is already dense...Now its time for some height...That's why Charlotte doesn't look very dense because they have so many tall skyscrapers bunched together...But we'll never have that problem now so I say taller!

I'd like to see the corridor east of Assembly remain as a high-rise back drop for a mid-rise Vista. The view from the west side of the Congaree at the West Columbia Riverwalk is very nice and could easily become off balance without good height planning.

I agree with corgimatt as well. However, this one project would be acceptable if it can act as a catalyst for others that are more like Canalside is suppsed to be.

I think the skyscrapers need to go along and east of Assembly. The parking lot at Assembly & Gervais is a prime location for a small one :)

This kid gets it. A letter to the editor in The State:

Perhaps this guy doesn't know about the height restrictions in the Vista, but nevertheless, I like the way he thinks.

First of all... Ryan was my roommate last year. Very intelligent guy from Austin, TX but has no idea what is going on in Columbia whatsoever. I agree with him entirely. Columbia is very short for its size and could definetely stand a 450' or even taller to take over our skyline. But, the kline site is not the site for that, with or without the vista's height restrictions. Hopefully within the next year we will hear about a new tower going up... we've had one built every year that I've been at USC now, this is the first year one hasn't been started

First of all... Ryan was my roommate last year. Very intelligent guy from Austin, TX but has no idea what is going on in Columbia whatsoever. I agree with him entirely. Columbia is very short for its size and could definetely stand a 450' or even taller to take over our skyline. But, the kline site is not the site for that, with or without the vista's height restrictions. Hopefully within the next year we will hear about a new tower going up... we've had one built every year that I've been at USC now, this is the first year one hasn't been started

This year is not over yet.

This year is not over yet.

True. Plus, two towers in two years, after what, 15 years of nothing, is still impressive.

I think you have to consider the fact that many of the towers are being rennovated and reused as residential space. That takes some of the empty commercial space off the market, and opens up the possibiliy of creating new office space (read- towers) to take their place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

From the city council meeting held on April 5th:

Proposal: Rezone property from M-2, DD to PUD-C, -DD to construct 747,000-sq.ft mixed-use development.

PC Recommendation: Approve, provided (1) the developer pays for the cost of the traffic signal at the intersection of Huger and Lady Streets, (2) access from the subject property to Gervais Street is limited to right turns in and right turns out, and (3) the developer dedicates ROW at the intersection of Huger and Gervais Streets of sufficient dimension to install a southbound right-turn lane and the developer pays for the improvements to southbound Huger Street, including the new right-turn lane and double left-turn lanes, 7-0 (2/6/06).

Staff Recommendation: Approve, subject to conditions recommended by Planning Commission.

Huger is supposed to be getting streetscaped sometime in the near future.

Is that still on with all of the problems with the current streetscaping projects? And with all of them going over budget, I hope there's going to be money for Huger streetcaping?

Archived