The Kline Steel Project

The_sandlapper

I'm really excited about this project, but DANG I hate how long these things take to get going. They've been talking about this forever. And the land has been cleared for a LONG time. Wish they'd get moving. (I know...easy for me to say. It's not my millions being spent.)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really excited about this project, but DANG I hate how long these things take to get going. They've been talking about this forever. And the land has been cleared for a LONG time. Wish they'd get moving. (I know...easy for me to say. It's not my millions being spent.)

To reiterate at least one of my earlier posts, the developer said he hopes to break ground next year (2007).

• 2 months later...

I understand the financing isn't complete yet. In many ways, large projects in South Carolina are seriously hurt by the lack of any large banks based in-state. When a large project is to be built in our fair (but poor) state, the loan decision is usually made in Charlotte, Atlanta or New York. When I approve a $50,000 car loan, at work, it takes 5 minutes, when an out of state bank has to approve a $200 million mixed-use development loan, it can take many months for all of the i's to be dotted and all of the t's to be crossed. I bet this process would be a little faster if the bank providing the financing was based here.

Hmm... thats interesting. Do you think that a large bank could ever be based in the state (perhaps through purchasing other banks?)

Not in our lifetimes, if ever. We are destined to only be the home of community and regional financial institutions and it is one reason North Carolina and Georgia will continue to leave us in the dust, economically. We must hope for a hydrogen fuel cell break-through or something similar at USC and/or other state schools to get us back on the map. Unfortunately, many of our eggs are in the tourism basket, which does not build wealth in South Carolina. We need a leader who is going to be able to get company HEADQUARTERS or at least (US headquarters) of major companies into South Carolina.

^We've got to grow companies, which is why I applaud USC for its incubator program.

If we ever want to attract more and serious investment, we've first got to invest more in our children, which means that education needs to be the #1 priority in this state and not rusted submarines.

^We've got to grow companies, which is why I applaud USC for its incubator program.

If we ever want to attract more and serious investment, we've first got to invest more in our children, which means that education needs to be the #1 priority in this state and not rusted submarines.

AMEN!

Not in our lifetimes, if ever. We are destined to only be the home of community and regional financial institutions and it is one reason North Carolina and Georgia will continue to leave us in the dust, economically. We must hope for a hydrogen fuel cell break-through or something similar at USC and/or other state schools to get us back on the map. Unfortunately, many of our eggs are in the tourism basket, which does not build wealth in South Carolina.

The hydrogen fuel cell production is the only thing in s.c. that seems promising and that's sad. Tourist just can't do it. USC is trying to turn Columbia to a hydro cell hub. I think alot of people are in denial on what that would do for Columbia.Because the vision seem so far away. It's going transform the entire city. Columbia is going to be huge. That's why I'm not going nowhere. :P

The hydrogen fuel cell production is the only thing in s.c. that seems promising and that's sad. Tourist just can't do it. USC is trying to turn Columbia to a hydro cell hub. I think alot of people are in denial on what that would do for Columbia.Because the vision seem so far away. It's going transform the entire city. Columbia is going to be huge. That's why I'm not going nowhere. :P

But there is more than fuel cells going on here. The USC business incubator had to move to a larger building and a former incubator company just got an $8 million infusion from a Silicon Valley venture capital firm a couple of months ago. I forget the name of the former incubator company. There was also an article in the paper the other day about a couple of other companies that graduated from the incubator that have added employees and have bright futures. The 'grow our own' movement is starting to catch on. The new biomedical research block should spawn another high-growth job market here.

SC, specifically USC is a leader in nanotechnology research.

I think that we will do well with fuel cells in this state, given that our two largest universities are dedicating large sums of money to it. its true that we should diversify though. If one goes bad we don't want to be SOL.

I think that we will do well with fuel cells in this state, given that our two largest universities are dedicating large sums of money to it. its true that we should diversify though. If one goes bad we don't want to be SOL.

That is sooooooooo true and our state has been SOL so many times in the past. I am so ready to see SC hit the jackpot with something.

What happened to my 'amen!'? It should have been bold, italics, red, and in size 4. Am I losing my touch?

I meant to post this earlier:

You set up only half of the tags. You have to close them as well. This code:

[b][i][u][color=#990000][size=4]AMEN![/size][/color][/u][/i][/b]

gets you this output:

AMEN!

The good thing about USC's research campus in particular is that the focus is on four areas--future fuels, nanotechnology, biomedical, and environmental. Also, ICAR is about automotive research on a broad scale. I think we'll see the most benefits from the automotive and future fuels areas--these areas don't appear to be as exploited by other universities as the nanotechnology, biomedical, and environmental areas.

I posted this article in the South Carolina forum about future national growth patterns and how the state's cities might fare in this regard. The fact is if we don't strengthen our public education system, many economic opportunities will continue to pass us by. We know that our state's educational and proficiency standards are by and large more rigorous than that of other states, and that when you adjust for that, our students don't really perform that much poorly than other Southern states in particular (if at all), but perception is often greater than reality. And drop-out rates and SAT scores aren't something that can be skewed on the basis of statewide standards.

Off-topic I know, but I had to throw that in.

Hey, at least we get something...good job, EM! Looks like drivers and pedestrians will have a great view of the hotel from Lady and Huger. Doesn't appear to be very big; I'd say no more than 200 rooms. I hope they go for nothing lower than a 4-star.

Archived