The Kline Steel Project

The_sandlapper

Here is a larger image of the Kline Square 3D site plan. Remember, this merely shows the volume of the structures and doesn't even begin to hint at the design that I have mentioned.

I was at COR's Columbia 20/20 seminar and saw that rendering. The speaker said that's the only rendering he could get from the development company because they are keeping it under wraps until they do an unveiling they say will blow us away.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at COR's Columbia 20/20 seminar and saw that rendering. The speaker said that's the only rendering he could get from the development company because they are keeping it under wraps until they do an unveiling they say will blow us away.

Well, as long as they have been making us wait, it better blow us away. .....Waccamatt taps foot....

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Holmes Smith Developments has a proposal before the Department of Veterans Affairs for a 100,000 sq ft office building for the site at Huger and Washington which was once part of the SCE&G bus barn property. The VA is supposed to tell the developers in September whether they have been awarded the project. Administration officials said two years ago that the agency, with 300 employees, had outgrown its building on Assembly and needed to move.

The VA building would be part of the larger Kline Center project that Holmes Smith is working on. The VA site is on property that adjoins the Kline Iron and Steel site. Kline purchased the 1.3 acres from the city to add to the adjoining 4.7 acres at Huger and Gervais. Marty Holmes said he believes the Kline Center will happen as it was proposed, but with some changes and that the VA project would jump-start that process. Specifically mentioned was the uncertainty that now surrounds the residential market, and with residential being proposed to be a large chunk of the overall development, there were concerns about absorption (so Captain Worley gets two points for essentially getting this right :) ). Marty Holmes said he believes the corner of Huger and Gervais is a "a prime site for a world class corporate headquarters."

The developers have also had interest from hotels to be part of the project, and two hotels have made offers. A hotel could even go forward without the rest of the site being developed.

For another comparison, take the QS/1 regional headquarters building in Spartanburg, which is 110K sq ft:

423566814_23047e32b0.jpg

SPA_QS101.jpg

(photo courtesy of Spartan)

I think a facility like this would make a statement on the Kline Property and it does fit in with the style and vibe of the Vista from an architectural standpoint.

I'm not sure what the VA would do with their current building, but they've outgrown it and the city is working hard on keeping them downtown. I have no idea why they'd even consider moving out to the suburbs. The Kline development would not be a bad location as Huger Street is quite accessible.

1) The glass panes on the QS/1 building in Spartanburg aren't dark. They are just highly reflective. Their appearance will vary depending on the light situation. Its awesome at sunset.

2)The current VA location is more convenient to the bus depot and all of the other government offices (courthouse, city hall, etc) in that area. So the move to Huger might not be the best, but it would still be downtown.

3)If/when the VA moves, that sets up that parcel for a huge rennovaiton. Prime access to the park, skyline views, river views. Access to 126, Arsenal Hill, the Vista, Main St, USC is all reasonably close. This will be a big deal for whatever comes next on that site.

• 2 months later...

I hope this project truly comes about, because it would be an architectural breakthrough for the Vista:

Kline_elevations.jpg

Kline_elevations2.jpg

Section looking west:

Kline9.jpg

Courtyard looking west at hotel:

Kline5.jpg

Courtyard looking south:

Kline6.jpg

Washington St. elevation:

Kline3.jpg

Gervais St. elevation:

Kline8.jpg

Huger St. elevation:

Kline7.jpg

Huger St. elevation (office bldg):

Kline1.jpg

Gervais St. elevation (office bldg):

Kline2.jpg

And from the architect's website (Perkins Eastman):

By the request of Perkins Eastman, the sketches here have been removed and instead users are advised to visit their website to view any renderings: http://www.perkinseastman.com/Pages/Projec...&startrow=8

Looks really DC-ish. It also reminds me a bit of the Gateway Village mixed-use development in uptown Charlotte.

Does anyone know where can I find the thread on the new Hotel (Askol Patel) Staybridge Extended Stay (5 stories high) loacted at I-26 Huger and Richland Street. I noticed thaey have broken ground.. any ideas or thoughts about the area behind the hotel site..as this is one of our gateways to the city :mellow:

• 2 months later...

Well, we all had a feeling it might happen: the Kline Steel development has been put on hold indefinitely. Concerns about the downtown condo market is what led to the decision. After the deal fell through to possibly have the Veteran's Affairs department occupy office space in conjunction with this project, I'm not really surprised to hear this. However, it is very much possible that something will eventually get built:

On Huger Street, Kline and his partners, Holmes Smith Development, had planned a 1.2-million-square-foot, eight-story complex of offices, condos and a hotel at the premier intersection with Gervais Street.

It

Archived