Consolidating School Districts

Spartan

Gov. Mark Sanford and his Education Oversight Committe thinks that we should consolidate out 7 school districts into 3.

Here is the article.

Doing so would save money, provide more opportunity for rural areas and schools, and create more effeciency. They say t he most effecient school districts are between 15,000 - 25,000 students in size. Our largest- District 6- has about 9500.

This line was most telling to me: "The status quo is not sacred. Spartanburg County once had 89 school districts, then 12. Seven is not necessarily the best number for the county."

This is not the first time I have heard this mentioned.

I think its a good idea. What do you think?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gov. Mark Sanford and his Education Oversight Committe thinks that we should consolidate out 7 school districts into 3.

Here is the article.

Doing so would save money, provide more opportunity for rural areas and schools, and create more effeciency. They say t he most effecient school districts are between 15,000 - 25,000 students in size. Our largest- District 6- has about 9500.

This line was most telling to me: "The status quo is not sacred. Spartanburg County once had 89 school districts, then 12. Seven is not necessarily the best number for the county."

This is not the first time I have heard this mentioned.

I think its a good idea. What do you think?

Hmmm. going to Greenville's public schools I'm used to a large school district and I think Greenville's is pretty darn efficient. And it's not in that number range. I think Greenville has around 63,000 students? but one size/style doesn't fit everyone, so maybe 3 school districts is what Spartanburg needs. (?)

Hmmm. going to Greenville's public schools I'm used to a large school district and I think Greenville's is pretty darn efficient. And it's not in that number range. I think Greenville has around 63,000 students? but one size/style doesn't fit everyone, so maybe 3 school districts is what Spartanburg needs. (?)

I must disagree with The School District of Greenville County being efficient. Financial concerns, delaying school construction projects and no sense of keeping up with the highest standards of education has led to a major regression for Greenville County. Factually, there is interest for splitting up Greenville County into several districts. This would allow for more funding, more localized involvement and more stability. Low performing schools would be vehemently against this because their negative trends will be sorely exposed and may lead to a state takeover; unnecessary it may be yet necessary to keep high standards.

I must disagree with The School District of Greenville County being efficient. Financial concerns, delaying school construction projects and no sense of keeping up with the highest standards of education has led to a major regression for Greenville County. Factually, there is interest for splitting up Greenville County into several districts. This would allow for more funding, more localized involvement and more stability. Low performing schools would be vehemently against this because their negative trends will be sorely exposed and may lead to a state takeover; unnecessary it may be yet necessary to keep high standards.

The thought of splitting up Greenville County has been around for YEARS! and everytime it's brought up it gets shot down. I don't see it happening. I think it would only hurt them. It would defeat the purpose of the Magnet programs that have improved the city schools' enrollment drastically, but if they're different school districts, then to go to another school in another district, say to get IB credit at Southside, then you'd pay a pretty penny to simply attend school. We don't want to segregate the students! This would lead to neighborhood schools and little hope for certain areas. I'd be extremely dissapointed if this ever went through. Spartanburg is in an entirely different boat and can opperate 7 school districts.

Also, delaying the construction of schools? Please. It is one impressive accomplishment to even have been able to finance, coordinate, and pull off building over 60 or 70 new schools. They're nearing the end too.

The thought of splitting up Greenville County has been around for YEARS! and everytime it's brought up it gets shot down. I don't see it happening. I think it would only hurt them. It would defeat the purpose of the Magnet programs that have improved the city schools' enrollment drastically, but if they're different school districts, then to go to another school in another district, say to get IB credit at Southside, then you'd pay a pretty penny to simply attend school.

-Several other high schools besides Southside now offer an IB program.

-The magnet program can remain as a joint venture between divided school districts.

We don't want to segregate the students! This would lead to neighborhood schools and little hope for certain areas. I'd be extremely dissapointed if this ever went through. Spartanburg is in an entirely different boat and can opperate 7 school districts.

It is a waste of money to bus kids from the most western side of the county over to Greer and back, especially with the price of gas these days. I am sure most parents would like their kids educated closer to home. Dividing up the school districts, students would not have to worry about a long trip to school so they can focus more on learning.

Also, delaying the construction of schools? Please. It is one impressive accomplishment to even have been able to finance, coordinate, and pull off building over 60 or 70 new schools. They're nearing the end too.

It looks like there is no end in sight. A couple trustees hae voted for delaying construction of some remaining schools whose construction should be completed by the end of this year. As a result, residents represented of those trustees are waiting to vote them out.

District 3 will definitely fight to the end on this one. There's a different personality to that district, and there's no problem with the school districting and everything the way it is there now. I could perhaps see district 6 or 1 improving from this, but IMO districts 7 and 3 will NOT like the idea the least bit.

I don't think District 6 would want this, with the new Dorman etc...

If this were to happen, any suggestions on which districts to combine. For those not familiar, the high schools for the districts are:

1) Chapman and Landrum

2) Boiling Springs and Chesnee

3) Broome

4) Woodruff

5) Byrnes

6) Dorman

7) Spartanburg

I agree about district 6, but like I said before, I doubt that the attendance zones would change. I think you'd see consolidation like this:

1 & 2

3 & 7

4, 5, & 6

Which would look like this:

SpartanburgCountySchoolDistricts.jpg

Note that similar colors would represent the new districts (part of Cherokee around Chesnee is in the current Dist 2). Downtown Spartanburg is directly

above the "T" in "DISTRICT 7." I threw in the urban area as well.

You would have red/orange as District 1, with Landrum, Chapman, Boiling Springs, and Chesnee High Schools.

Blue colors would be Dist 2, with Broome and Spartanburg High Schools

Green would be District 3, with Dorman, Woodruff and Byrnes High Schools.

This is just my opinion. In reality they would probably redraw the districts completely.

Archived