Any of you Southern Peeps Snowed In?

monsoon

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chains for 6 inches of snow? I don't have any chains for my tires at all. Nor do I have snow tires on my car. And I have never had any problems with getting stuck in snow...even when we have 8 inches like we had today.

Right. Chains and studded tires seem to be a southern thing, maybe even snow tires too.

Before I moved to MN, I thought I'd have to get all that. But I never found anyone up here who uses them.

The problem for me with driving in much more than six inches of snow is that the snow just acts as a barrier to forward motion, and your car becomes a mini-snowplow.

On a related matter, we broke zero today for the first time since Tuesday morning.

Chains work quite well on ice... You still want to drive very slow, but chains on the drive wheels gives a bit of "tank tread" grip. As my southern peeps know for sure, no one can drive at anything over a crawl on a truly icy road.

Chains helped me climb in and out of my rather steep driveway. Without them, the car literally slid down the hill with the e-brake set and the tranny in gear.

Sleepy, studded tires and chains are not a southern thing exclusively. I know several people from Erie PA as well as northern Ohio... studded tires are "standard equipment" for many of them. And Erie is the place where I bought "heavy duty" snow chains--better than the cheapo set they sell around here.

Though they may not be an absolute necessity in the "freeze-your-ass-off belt" (upper midwest), it seems they can be quite common in the "snow belt" (upstate OH, PA, NY).

I-90, especially around Ashtabula OH has been known to literally white-out and accumulated feet of snow in a matter of hours.

Right now in Georgia:

Freezing Rain and Thunderstorms. :o:huh::lol::P

I thought, wow that wind is bad! Then I thought, that sounds like thunder? Thunder in February, with ice on the trees and houses? Next time I heard it, I looked out the window and yes, we are having a freezing thunderstorm. There's ice on the trees and buildings, a good heavy rain outside and thunder. I don't think I've ever experienced a "Freezing Thunderstorm"? We just don't have these back home in Asheville. None of my classes at the University of Georgia are cancelled. I need to check my messages and see if anyone is cancelling. Last ice storm, the whole campus closed. ;)

I remember a couple instances of thundersnow--all of them during the time I lived in Raleigh and Cary. First was 1993, then 1996, a lot of it in 2000 (during the 2 foot nor'easter), and most recently in the 14 incher from 2002.

It is quite a sight because I couldn't really see the lightening. There was so much snow coming down that the lightening was diffused to the point where it was just a blue-ish/white-ish flash of light followed by the "crash".

Archived