What Can Charlotte learn from Davidson?

voyager12

A direct comparison is obviously impossible but I think Charlotte could benefit from some of their planning techniques. The town has a diverse and easily accessible downtown with a mix of residential and retail and I think Tryon St could eventually have street level stores in a similar vein perhaps in the bottom of some of the new towers. I especially like Davidson's progressive stance in favor of pedestrian/bike traffic. I know some people think Davidson hates cars but the signs stating Davidson is a pedestrian/biking town reinforce a slower more civilized pace and could be replicated in relevant areas of Charlotte to encourage a more walkable mindset. I would love to have some of those signs along East Blvd. I have been almost hit several times jogging and its ostensibly located in one of Charlotte's most pedestrian friendly areas.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlotte can learn from Davidson that being less than 5 square miles, having less than 10k residents, being on a large lake, and having a highly reputatable liberal arts college downtown can be pretty cool.

Seriously, though, I think Davidson does a good job with demanding quality developement, both urban and suburban. Charlotte could definitely learn from that.

Charlotte can learn that if all you do is allow residential and no commercial land uses that eventually you run out of money.....oh wait, we already learned that lesson.

Umm, Charlotte can learn that once you run out of money and realize you need commercial uses to produce enough income, that you better have more than a two-lane rural route to concentrate this commercial growth on.....oh wait, we don't need to learn that lesson.

Hmmm, Charlotte can learn that in order to generate income, and maintain its primarily residential flavor, that it should invest in business parks in other municipalities, which creates revenue, puts no strain on services, and most importantly can remain quaint and in my mind, trivial. Now that's an good lesson.

The nice thing about Davidson, is that it is very upscale, but not full of McMansions and chain establishments. With the exception of a very quaint Ben & Jerry's all of the downtown restaurants are local establishments that are unique and have a lot of character. Davidson even turned down a request from Harris Teeter to build one of its boring stores which I applaude them for doing. Instead there is a very nice Home Economist organic grocery located in its downtown.

I also have to applaud Davidson in preventing the establishment of any cul de sac neighborhoods within its boundries. This is something that Charlotte dearly needs to learn from its northern neighborhoods. Davidson is also a supporter of TOD transit, and probably has the most stingent requirements for this in the county. In regards to the comments on employment, it should be noted that Davidson has always balanced its books and provides city quality services to its citizens In fact the Charlotte tax rate is 21% higher than that of Davidson which would indicate the city is doing quite well in balancing employment vs residential development.

Davidson is very good at saying NO to developers which is its one of its great positives. The results there speak for themselves. Developers don't like it, but the people do. Davidson is one of Mecklenburg's treasures, not something that should be derided.

BTW, except for a few condos that are located west of exit 30, Davidson is not located on Lake Norman. It does surround Lake Davidson, which is often mistaken for part of Lake Norman, but the two lakes are not connected.

For one, Davidson is the highest tax rate in Meck Co. outside of Charlotte.....what does it provide that the other towns don't besides a high % residential?

Charlotte maybe 21% higher than Davidson, by Davidson is 23% higher than Huntersville. :)

Meanwhile, since 2000, Davidson's tax rate has increased 9.5% while Charlotte's has DECREASED 10.1%. Hmmm...I would argue that maybe Davidson isn't balancing their financials quite as well as Charlotte.

River Run was approved by Mecklenburg County back when Mecklenburg did all of the approvals for the unincorporated places in the county, not Davidson. In 1996, the NC legislature gave the cities in Mecklenburg, zoning approval over the un-incorporated places in their EJT's which subjected new development to much more stringent restrictions on development. I am not sure if Davidson eventually annexed it or not, but it is definately located in the Davidson EJT even though it is located quite a ways out of downtown Davidson.

I don't know the answer to the Winn Dixie question. It's been a Home Economist for all the years that I have lived up here. 12+

....Meanwhile, since 2000, Davidson's tax rate has increased 9.5% while Charlotte's has DECREASED 10.1%. Hmmm...I would argue that maybe Davidson isn't balancing their financials quite as well as Charlotte.
Get back to me when Charlotte gets its tax rate down that of Davidson. :lol: I would say that Davidson is doing quite well.

Archived