Douglasville, GA

dgreen

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What can you tell me about this town outside of ATL?

Intersting you should ask. I happen to be from Douglasville. :) You moving to the town or something?

My Pics of "Downtown" Douglasville

Basically, what is called "Downtown" Douglasville is actually no longer the center of activity in the town aside from the fact that the city hall is located there and the Douglas County Courthouse is nearby the area. "Downtown" Douglasville is the oldest part of the town. It's been around since the town was founded in the 1870's, so it still shows some semblance of traditional urbanity and is home to a historic district. There are a few good shops along Broad Street inside the historic buildings, but it's basically Mom n' Pop stuff. Perhaps the best Cajun food in metro Atlanta is there to in Gumbeaux's. There is a slightly newer part to the downtown where you can find the typical suburban shopping centers, but they are still older shopping centers.

There is a newer part of Douglasville along (GA) Highway 5 where most of the activity takes place. It's your typical suburban shopping centers. You'll find Wal-mart, K-mart, Home Depot, Kroger, Petco, Office Depot, and so on.

As of late, the area around Arbor Place Mall has becoe a hotspot for development. It's still your typical shopping centers, though. You've got (aside from the mall) Target, Petsmart, Goody's, Pier 1, Circuit City, Toys R Us, Michaels, and so on. It's located along Chapel Hill Road and Douglas Boulevard at the Chapel Hill & Campbellton Road exit.

It's about 25,000 people, and it's the seat of Douglas County.

Any help? :)

Intersting you should ask. I happen to be from Douglasville. :) You moving to the town or something?

My Pics of "Downtown" Douglasville

Basically, what is called "Downtown" Douglasville is actually no longer the center of activity in the town aside from the fact that the city hall is located there and the Douglas County Courthouse is nearby the area. "Downtown" Douglasville is the oldest part of the town. It's been around since the town was founded in the 1870's, so it still shows some semblance of traditional urbanity and is home to a historic district. There are a few good shops along Broad Street inside the historic buildings, but it's basically Mom n' Pop stuff. Perhaps the best Cajun food in metro Atlanta is there to in Gumbeaux's. There is a slightly newer part to the downtown where you can find the typical suburban shopping centers, but they are still older shopping centers.

There is a newer part of Douglasville along (GA) Highway 5 where most of the activity takes place. It's your typical suburban shopping centers. You'll find Wal-mart, K-mart, Home Depot, Kroger, Petco, Office Depot, and so on.

As of late, the area around Arbor Place Mall has becoe a hotspot for development. It's still your typical shopping centers, though. You've got (aside from the mall) Target, Petsmart, Goody's, Pier 1, Circuit City, Toys R Us, Michaels, and so on. It's located along Chapel Hill Road and Douglas Boulevard at the Chapel Hill & Campbellton Road exit.

It's about 25,000 people, and it's the seat of Douglas County.

Any help? :)

Thanks for the pics and info. Yes, i'm thinking of moving to Doulas. My realtor is showing me a home near HWY 92 there.

Thanks

Douglas is a nice place to live. I've lived here for 12 years. It's amazing how much it's changed. When my family first moved here in '94, Chapel Hill Rd was still 2 lanes and a Westbound Exit, Eastbound re-entry only exit on I-20. Of course Arbor Place has been built since then, so the county has started to take off.

Hi Douglasville people! I've been looking at my map trying to find my way to Six Flags. My sister and I are wanting to come to the park maybe this summer. Douglasville is where the park is according to my map. What is the best way to get there as we come through Georgia on I-85? Is the park easy to find from the Interstate? Any help is appreciated.

Hi Douglasville people! I've been looking at my map trying to find my way to Six Flags. My sister and I are wanting to come to the park maybe this summer. Douglasville is where the park is according to my map. What is the best way to get there as we come through Georgia on I-85? Is the park easy to find from the Interstate? Any help is appreciated.

Basically, here is a map of Douglasville and Douglas County, just for the record:

us_ga_douglasville_ta.gif

Six Flags is near Douglasville, but it's not located in Douglasville. Six Flags isn't even in Douglas County! it's in the very bottom point of Cobb County. If you make your way to I-20 West, you'll see an exit for Six Flags. Just take it and you'll end up at the park sooner or later (I'm not fully sure what streets you take once you get off the interstate, as I almost never go to Six Flags.) Basically, it's about halfway between Atlanta and Douglasville.

I know it's not much help, I'll try and see what info I can add later.

Coming from Atlanta: I-20 to Exit 46C, and just turn left. The Park is right there.

Coming from W. Georgia/Birmingham: I-20 to Exit 46A (Riverside Pkwy), take it right, and then the first left. Take the small service road to the end. The park is to your right.

I've been to the park several times, just not in the last few years. I plan on going this year once, to try out this new "Goliath" roller coaster.

Thanks a lot guys, it was a lotta help actually. My map is not all that detailed so it appeared that the park was in Douglasville. My sister used to live in Cobb county, so I guess she can find it. She doesn't remember well. So I take it we will have to get off I-85 and onto I-20. That's a big help. Thanks a lot.

Archived