South Carolina's Economic Engine

The_sandlapper

Having done research similar to this before, I can attest that sandlapper's methods are indeed valid. They represent the accepted way to compare economic status in the US. He has it presented in a different way, but its still valid. I had intended to gather the data that he has shown, but I have not had the time. There is another way to show where the economic strengths of an area are, but it gets rather technical. I would have shown the ranks differently, as percentages can be decieving. But like I said, those data are still valid. The real numbers would probably tell a different story. If I can come up with some spare time this week, I will work on that.

I think this thread is starting to become a pissing contest. To me it seems like some of the [insert city here] folks dont want to hear that their city is not at the top of the state. With this type of discussion you have to be objective enough to keep the boosterism down, and let the facts speak for themselves.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering this thread was started with a pissing contest intent, why is everybody surprised it turned into one? I've noticed that on these boards, lots of baiting and pissing. Sad.

Why can't people just be happy with where they live and funnel their energy into making their city a better place? Some cities seem to have an inferiority complex and feel they must compete. I don't get it, but whatever.

I think this thread is starting to become a pissing contest. To me it seems like some of the [insert city here] folks dont want to hear that their city is not at the top of the state. With this type of discussion you have to be objective enough to keep the boosterism down, and let the facts speak for themselves.

If you're refering to [Greenville], then I simply stated the facts I know of regarding this large economic-related project and provided a link to the source. There are quite a few SC members with great ambitions for their OWN city, and this comes out in nearly every statewide discussion, as you have seen. This is understandable since the vast majority do not visit the other "rival" cities often enough to make legitimate arguments against them. Sadly, nothing can be done to remove the biased point of views, because that would seem to many the same as becoming a traitor. :(

If you're refering to [Greenville], then I simply stated the facts I know of regarding this large economic-related project and provided a link to the source. There are quite a few SC members with great ambitions for their OWN city, and this comes out in nearly every statewide discussion, as you have seen. This is understandable since the vast majority do not visit the other "rival" cities often enough to make legitimate arguments against them. Sadly, nothing can be done to remove the biased point of views, because that would seem to many the same as becoming a traitor. :(

This thread was not started as a pissing contest. We very frequently talk about which city is holding more weight in this state, and when this thread was created it was likely to give an answer to that question. It turns into one because we all are very proud of what our cities have accomplished and what they are doing to improve their status. I don't see it as an inferiority complex on anyone's part because we all have bragging rights.

I was not referring to Greenville alone. We are all guilty of it. I am probably the most blatant Spartanburg booster on this forum. Greenville does stand out in that ragerd, but that is only because there are as many Greenvillians on this site as there are people from the rest of SC, if not more. The comptetition between our cities is really a healthy thing. In truth, all of our cities balance each other out. Because there is diversity in the nature of our cities' economies, they are not all impacted the same way at the same time. That makes it hard to compare, and it makes our state srtonger for it. All of have to be willing to accept the facts about our cities, no matter if they are good or bad facts.

We cant completely remove bias because that would make this palce very dull. The simple fact that we all disagree about certain things is what makes discussions interesting. I personally try to provide an objective opinion (as best I can) and stick up for the city that is being represented less. I can't do everything though, so I can accept a certain amount of bias.

People can interpret the data anyway they want because it's data. The purpose of this thread was to either confirm or deny the notion that the Greenville area is the states "economic engine". Well instead of going along with the popular notion I actually did some research to take a look into it objectively as too who could make that claim. Now granted I will certainly not get published but it was interesting none the less. I don't deny the importance of any city/ region/ county in the state. In fact many of the counties listed can make a claim as to who leads the state in a specific area/occupation/whatever. However in SC just as in many states throughout the country unless you are in GA, IL, OR, or WA, there is no one metro/ city/ region that holds "economic dominion" over the other. There are areas in SC that lead in different occupations/industries but even they are very subtle differences. All right I'm done?

^Is there a method to those calculations? Quite disparate if you ask me, but a better representation than our municipal figures.

Here's a disclaimer thing...They went by who has a Columbia, Charleston, or whatever cities address....When you add up all of Columbia zip-codes it is around 300k.

The data represent the zip codes associated with the town name. The listed populations often include areas outside an incorporated municipality. For instance, the town of Vienna has a population of 14,900, but 61,700 residents have a Vienna postal address.

South Carolina's jobless rate has dropped quite significantly recently. We now have the fourth highest unemployment rate, instead of second.

Read small article here.

I read somewhere that SC's unemployment rate may acutally be lower since we are the onyl state in the union to not report jobs in companies of less than 20 employees. That added to the fact that we have a very strong small business community in this state could skew the data somewhat. That doesn't change the fact that its still a probelm though.

Interesting point, Spartan. The number of small business here is certainly on the rise, which is a great thing. The light at the end of the tunnel is that we as a state are actively working to overcome such employment issues. I wish some of these politicians would get off the governor's back about the issue though, especially when they vote to veto his budget because he wouldn't fund all those pet pork projects.

Hello everyone.

I couldn't resist the topic. And I'm going to be pulling for the Upstate, though I love all of South Carolina.

In determining where the economic engine for the state is, and is going to be in the future, I think it's important to consider the nature of the economies in the big three metro areas and the resulting cultures.

On the coast, the economy is based on tourism and retirement living (with a little help from the Port of Charleston.) They're trading on sun and sand.

Columbia is government town. All the major institutions -- state government, USC, Fort Jackson -- are funded by taxes.

The Greenville/Spartanburg economy doesn't have the beaches or the taxpayers to rely on. The economy is based on industry and business. (Historically, the textile industry, and now automotive). The culture is more entrepreneurial and can do. That's why the Upstate is where most of the IPOs (Initial Public Offerings) have been, and that's why I predict Greenville will be bigger than Columbia in 20 years.

Hello everyone.

I couldn't resist the topic. And I'm going to be pulling for the Upstate, though I love all of South Carolina.

In determining where the economic engine for the state is, and is going to be in the future, I think it's important to consider the nature of the economies in the big three metro areas and the resulting cultures.

On the coast, the economy is based on tourism and retirement living (with a little help from the Port of Charleston.) They're trading on sun and sand.

Columbia is government town. All the major institutions -- state government, USC, Fort Jackson -- are funded by taxes.

The Greenville/Spartanburg economy doesn't have the beaches or the taxpayers to rely on. The economy is based on industry and business. (Historically, the textile industry, and now automotive). The culture is more entrepreneurial and can do. That's why the Upstate is where most of the IPOs (Initial Public Offerings) have been, and that's why I predict Greenville will be bigger than Columbia in 20 years.

Welcome to the forum! We appreciate any and all input about this significant topic.

You bring up some great points, but I also think that you may be understating the case for Charleston and Columbia somewhat. Charleston has also managed to attract manufacturing jobs (Alenia-Vought, Chrysler Sprinter van plant) in significant numbers. You pretty much nailed it on the head as far as Columbia is concerned (although I would add the Palmetto Health system to that list), but I believe that USC's research campus will definitely alter the local economy of Columbia in a most positive way. It will take a few years, but the momentum is certainly there. In recent years, the Upstate's economy hasn't done as well as many have thought, but that's certainly getting ready to change with ICAR and hopefully "Project Pogo" for Greenville.

In 20 years, I still think it will be a pretty tight race between the Big Three as far as population is concerned, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things turn out. :thumbsup:

Hello everyone.

I can definitely see that happening. :thumbsup: People don't realize how Greenville is just recovering from the loss of textiles and now beginning to make noise in another direction (which we've done ourselves). If recent history is an indicator, everyone will be surprised by the level of growth in the Upstate over the next few decades.

Actually, the_sandlapper, LuvSC used the "larger city" comment to point out that as a result, in his/her mind, Greenville's economy will be strongest during the growth.

I agree that the other two metros will continue to grow at a fast pace. :thumbsup:

Archived