Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

Today I had the pleasure today of going to Gerald Divaris's office to speak with them about the progress of TC. There was sooooo much said and I may not be 100% correct but I will try to relay what I was told about the construction and progress of the center. Since there was so much said I will take it block-by-block. I was able to obtain a great new schematic but I cannot post it here because some of stores named are still being negiotated. :ph34r:

Here is a smaller one:

msp-enlarge2.jpg

You can read the block numbers better on the older one:

6bb0e91b.jpg

Blocks 1&2 (Taco Bell and Va Pilot) : nothing new at this time to report. Talks have fallen off since the Pilot decided not to accept the offer to relocate in the Westin complex.

Block 3 (Cheesecake Factory bldg) : A brewery is in the works for this northwestern corner of the building. A lease has not been signed yet so stay tuned for updates.

DSC01525.jpg

Brooks Bros has signed a lease to fill the southeastern part of the building.

DSC02056.jpg

Block 4 (AH Tower block) : Everything is filled except D'Mustard is now gone but a prospective high-end retailer has a considerable interest in this location. The space between Zushi and Red Star Tavern is empty but is still being marketed.

Block 5: (One Columbus Center) : Possible future end-cap retail but probably upon completion of block 11.

Block 6: (PAC) : construction continues on the PAC. Expect in 2007 for a high-end seafood restaurant to open beside the center.

Block 7: (Westin) : Ongoing construction on the Westin complex. I am awaiting an email to see when we may expect to see cranes being assembled. For the western part of the block (facing Indy), a large housewares retailer has been courted for sometime now but they have not indicated whether they intend to enter our market or this location.

Block 8: No report.

Block 9: Probably starting construction in 2007, will be a midrise building with condos and small retail on the ground floor. There are ongoing discussions with an arts theater to build here probably with 6 screens which will also utilize the 2 and 3 floors of the building. Also, a bookstore (probably about 15k sq feet) will be locating here.

Block 10: (Cosmo) : Vie De France will locate on Main street somewhat diagonally across the street from Red Star Tavern. A couple of doors west Sunglass Hut will open. On the western side of the Cosmo building, expect Origins to open a store

as well as Kuhlman to open a men's store. Also expect Daily Grind Unwind, an upcoming store out of Winchester, VA, to offer coffee products in a very homelike atmosphere. I was told they use red colors a lot and some even have fireplaces. :) A local clothing retail store will probably also enter the market on this side but right now it's under wraps. will locate on the southeastern corner.

DSC02635.jpg

Block 11 : (parking lot for Columbus Center) : I asked to confirm the height and such of the building but am unsure but hope to receive an email soon to confirm. No leases have been signed but I was told there is considerable interest by quite a few businesses, some of which are large companies, to locate here. Also, a large retail apparel store (umm, we have talked about this store before), who is not located in our market currently, may possibly build on the ground floor. Also, almost certainly an urban market will locate on the entire south corner of the block (it really won't take too many guesses :whistling: ) That's really all I have on this block though I was hoping to hear more. No word on when it may be built at this time.

Block 12: Dicks : Ground floor : A food shop had signed on but recently backed out but a spa may be looking at leasing the entire space. I asked if Dick's was doing well that I had heard they were not but I was told word out is that their sales are double that of Lynnhaven so hopefully that is good news. (photo before the name change)

152319818zBhigF_ph.jpg

CityWalk: An upscale market is looking at the old Hannaford store but nothing has been finalized as of yet. This property is not part of Divaris's marketing property btw. It sounds like it be 2008 when construction starts on this whole project so... sigh, it may be awhile.

That's it folks for now. Many thanks again for Gerald Divaris and his staff for the opportunity to obtain these updates.

Thanks for the update.

Is that homewares chain Crate & Barrel? I didn't realize that Z Gallerie and Sephora closed shop at MacArthur a while back. I wonder if they'd be interested in reentering the market in TC or Hilltop.

You mentioned two grocery stores. Several come to mind: Whole Foods, Wegmans, Ukrops, and TJ. TJ stores are the smallest of the four so would most easily fit the Block 11 spot unless Farm Fresh's GW Walter's plans another store. The other three stores appear to fit the Hannaford spot better. I know Whole Foods has been tossed around but I think they'd fit better at Hannaford than as part of Block 11.

Thanks for the update.

Is that homewares chain Crate & Barrel? I didn't realize that Z Gallerie and Sephora closed shop at MacArthur a while back. I wonder if they'd be interested in reentering the market in TC or Hilltop.

You mentioned two grocery stores. Several come to mind: Whole Foods, Wegmans, Ukrops, and TJ. TJ stores are the smallest of the four so would most easily fit the Block 11 spot unless Farm Fresh's GW Walter's plans another store. The other three stores appear to fit the Hannaford spot better. I know Whole Foods has been tossed around but I think they'd fit better at Hannaford than as part of Block 11.

I hope we don't get no UKrops. I don't mind the other ones but please no UKrops. There are way over hyped IMO.

Thanks for the update.

I also liked Z Gallerie a lot and actually a picture from their store hangs over my fireplace.

I really can't say what retailers they are trying to secure as you can imagine it is confidential information until announced. I will say though the urban market stores for both Cityview and the TC will both be high-end national chains so you can cross out Ukrops.

I also liked Z Gallerie a lot and actually a picture from their store hangs over my fireplace.

I really can't say what retailers they are trying to secure as you can imagine it is confidential information until announced. I will say though the urban market stores for both Cityview and the TC will both be high-end national chains so you can cross out Ukrops.

Trader Joe's for the Market

I was thinking Crate and Barrell for the housewares. The closest one is in Richmond

For the brewery slated next to Keagan's...The Taphouse maybe? Or... The Hilltop Brewery is a stones throw from G.F. Keagans so, would the Hilltop Brewery follow Keagan's to the Town Center?

I am happy to hear that block 9 is going to be a mid-rise, I was afraid those three buildings would all be three stories each.

I enjoy that they are giving some of the restuarants free range with design. While the Cheesecake Factory looks outlandish and stands out, I like that it seems to add a bit of variety to something I was expecting to all look the same.

The need a grocery store and a skybridge that would cross Indy as well. Ideas down the line.

Divaris is such a great guy, I got to meet him a couple times and he was always so bright eyed and optimistic about the city. I loved my conversation I had with him before the town center began and about the negativity of the residents. He was very hopeful and positive that they would change their minds once they saw it because he believed it was what Virginia Beach was missing, and so far he has been right.

And keep in mind I was like 21-22 when I was talking to him, so it wasn't like I was anyone important to have a conversation with. I hope that when I do become an architect that I have a chance to work with him.

Edited by urbanlife

Block 9: Probably starting construction in 2007, will be a midrise building with condos and small retail on the ground floor. There are ongoing discussions with an arts theater to build here probably with 6 screens which will also utilize the 2 and 3 floors of the building. Also, a bookstore (probably about 15k sq feet) will be locating here.

Very exciting indeed. I am happy this is a midrise block, though I had already assumed it would be based on the location. With both an arts theater and a bookstore they are finally including the kind of cultural atmosphere that is typical in many downtowns. I have a feeling I will be a frequent visitor once this is

completed.

Block 10: (Cosmo) : Vie De France will locate on Main street somewhat diagonally across the street from Red Star Tavern.

:yahoo: Can't wait for this. I love french food.

Also expect Daily Grind Unwind, an upcoming store out of Winchester, VA, to offer coffee products in a very homelike atmosphere. I was told they use red colors a lot and some even have fireplaces.

Sounds quite interesting and will likely be one of the main attractions of that block.

Block 11 : (parking lot for Columbus Center) : I asked to confirm the height and such of the building but am unsure but hope to receive an email soon to confirm. No leases have been signed but I was told there is considerable interest by quite a few businesses, some of which are large companies, to locate here. Also, a large retail apparel store (umm, we have talked about this store before), who is not located in our market currently, may possibly build on the ground floor. Also, almost certainly an urban market will locate on the entire south corner of the block (it really won't take too many guesses ) That's really all I have on this block though I was hoping to hear more. No word on when it may be built at this time.

Probably still starting sometime this year (it says it on the the TC website). It hasn't made it to the planning commission docket yet but I assume that it will shortly. It's likely that it will be timed to coincide with the start of block 9 in 07 (are they calling this phase 4? :huh: ), seeing as they usually do these things in two's. I eagerly await your confirmation emails on the other dimensions of the project. Large retailer not arleady in market whom we have discussed ad nauseum before? Wonder who that could be? :whistling:

Block 11 : (parking lot for Columbus Center) : I asked to confirm the height and such of the building but am unsure but hope to receive an email soon to confirm. No leases have been signed but I was told there is considerable interest by quite a few businesses, some of which are large companies, to locate here.

This statement has intrigued me all day. One thing I wonder is what percentage of the actual building has to be leased before they start construction, or whether this one is purely speculative. A second thing I wonder is whether these large corporations are local or not. The way that statement is worded, it seems as though we may be in the running to snag someone from outside HR, which if true will finally prove the worth of TC to the few detractors (and there are very few now indeed) that are left. :)

Note: I split my post from above into this one because I had so many quotes in it the quote function would no longer work. Everything below is the rest of my reply from the above post.

Block 12: Dicks : Ground floor : A food shop had signed on but recently backed out but a spa may be looking at leasing the entire space. I asked if Dick's was doing well that I had heard they were not but I was told word out is that their sales are double that of Lynnhaven so hopefully that is good news. (photo before the name change)

You would think that due to its high visibility that would be a great location for a store but really it's not. It's very isolated from the rest of TC and I hope they're still thinking of investing in a skywalk in that location as well.

CityWalk: An upscale market is looking at the old Hannaford store but nothing has been finalized as of yet. This property is not part of Divaris's marketing property btw. It sounds like it be 2008 when construction starts on this whole project so... sigh, it may be awhile.

Will any part of it start before then? I believe it is to be built in phases so are you saying that the first phase won't start till 08 or are you saying to expect all phases to be under construction by '08?

That's it folks for now. Many thanks again for Gerald Divaris and his staff for the opportunity to obtain these updates.

Thank you for taking the time to meet with them and thanks Mr. Divaris for again helping this site out tremendously.:thumbsup: I really appreciate the openness and honesty.

You don't have to go to the Vie De France in downtown Norfolk. ;)

Is there one DT already? I haven't heard of this. I honestly haven't gotten the chance to get around HR that much as far as fine dining goes. When I have it always appears that the best we've had were the Viva Cucina Italiana, Cheesecake factory variety. When i was in silver springs you could basically take any nationality you could through into the melting pot, and they had some sort of fine dining establishment. It was great due to the variety there was to choose from, something this area lacks as far as i've seen. But back to my original point, yes I love french food and if you know of good establishments other than the one mentioned please let me know (but preferably in the stores and retail thread cause we're starting to hijack this one offtopic.gif)

I used to go to the Daily Grind often when I lived in Harrisonburg. Their downtown Hburg location had a lot of charm and hosted live music sometimes. The rest of their locations in the area were in ugly strip malls and had no character at all. I'm confident that a location as prominent as VBTC will inspire a nice, pleasant coffee house. The coffees are good, but stay away from the gelato.

A Wegmans would be nice too. I went to one recently for the first time. It's quite an experience. I've never been to a Ukrops but from what I've heard they seem nice. I'm opposed to any retailer that isn't open 7 days, though, especially a grocery. People have needs.

From what I understand, the cinemas that will be going into TC is going to be a Sundance Cinema from the Sundance Group and is being designed by HBA.

Thats good news and will definately be something unique to the area. It should compliment the PAC quite nicely and should help expand TC nightlife from just going to bars and resturants.

I'm opposed to any retailer that isn't open 7 days, though, especially a grocery. People have needs.

I'll agree with you on that. I appreciate people sticking to their principles but as far as an urban market goes it would be best to obtain one that is open 7 days.

What is really neat about the project also is that there are so many different types of stores and retail so folks that live there can easily eat at the nearby restaurants and enjoy the many amenities of the shops and such. There is the mall across the street, Barnes and Noble and Planet Music and the theater on the other, and also a dry cleaners is there at Columbus Village East.

Apparently. Check the link.

I was just saying because I went to one near my apartment yesterday. Apparently it's the only one west of the Mississippi. Anyway, the menu appeared to have mostly French-themed American food like quiche, Cordon bleu chicken, Caesar salad, French dip sandwich, etc. Don't get me wrong, the food is good. I liked my beef bourgignon, but it really isn't French unless you count the waiter.

I don't think there's one in Norfolk, unless the website is old. Most locations are around DC with one in Chicago and one out here in SoCal.

I used to go to the Daily Grind often when I lived in Harrisonburg. Their downtown Hburg location had a lot of charm and hosted live music sometimes.

That's the chain that's opening the shop at TC? That's cool. I believe I went to the same one you're talking about a couple years back when taking my sister up to school. I liked their coffee. It's not overly bitter like Starbucks. I wish Thom's coffee would come back again. That place was great. Us high school kids sucking down the free refills plus the hidden location off of Great Neck and Shore Drive didn't help their bottom line.

I was just saying because I went to one near my apartment yesterday. Apparently it's the only one west of the Mississippi. Anyway, the menu appeared to have mostly French-themed American food like quiche, Cordon bleu chicken, Caesar salad, French dip sandwich, etc. Don't get me wrong, the food is good. I liked my beef bourgignon, but it really isn't French unless you count the waiter.

I don't think there's one in Norfolk, unless the website is old. Most locations are around DC with one in Chicago and one out here in SoCal.

There is one in Norfolk at St. Pauls place.

From what I understand, the cinemas that will be going into TC is going to be a Sundance Cinema from the Sundance Group and is being designed by HBA.

I googled Sundance Group and found this web page:

The Sundance Group

Established in 1988, the Sundance Group is a business entity wholly owned by Robert Redford. The Sundance Group oversees Redford

I googled Sundance Group and found this web page:

article

Anyone know do they mostly show independent films?

Yeah, kinda along the same lines as IFC, cannes film festival, etc. It's gonna cater to the artsier crowd.

There is one in Norfolk at St. Pauls place.

Wow, is there? I'll have to try to visit it tonight.