Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

I must agree it is great to see something for the city's residents. In the past it has been the Convention Center (it is very nice but mostly caters to guests from out of town) or the contentious 31st Street Hilton which also caters to guests. Finally, we have something for the residents and also it gives a sense of place to this sprawling city.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, purely digital zoom, which is probably why it's so crappy (and cheap).

Yeah, I found the same thing before I bought my current camera. Be sure to look for an optical zoom feature for best resolution when zooming in on things. The 3.2 mp Sony Sure Shot like I have is now a lot cheaper than what I paid a few years back.

post-3221-1144036388_thumb.jpg

I really love this shot. You get a hint of all the buildings that make up the current skyline, along with a nice shot of the little house that has stood the test of time in an urban area. I am really going to miss that little house when it gets torn down. I kind of hope it is the last site to be developed.

It would be cool to watch a new downtown grow around it. I kind of want to see an amazing piece of architecture to replace it. Hell, what is suppose to go on that lot anyway?? At one time it was suppose to be a theater if I remember correctly.

Edited by urbanlife

post-3221-1144036388_thumb.jpg

I am really going to miss that little house when it gets torn down. I kind of hope it is the last site to be developed.

Nope. Beginning of 07 and that puppies going down :lol: . In its place will be a midrise sturcture with a cinema above retail and condos above that.

There are no theaters at the TC. You might be thinking of the Columbus theaters, but those are staying. Regal is thinking of shutting down the Pembroke theaters per reports about the new Target. If that happens then they finally have to expand the Columbus theaters. Regal renovated that place by adding stadium seating in the large auditoriums.

There are no theaters at the TC. You might be thinking of the Columbus theaters, but those are staying. Regal is thinking of shutting down the Pembroke theaters per reports about the new Target. If that happens then they finally have to expand the Columbus theaters. Regal renovated that place by adding stadium seating in the large auditoriums.

I was referring to the Columbus theaters. I consider that apart of the towncenter area because of it being so close. I am not buying into this two theater idea or even a Naro style theater. It works great here in Portland, but I am not so sure about it there.

I say give Divaris time with this one and we may be hearing about different news with those theaters.

I was referring to the Columbus theaters. I consider that apart of the towncenter area because of it being so close. I am not buying into this two theater idea or even a Naro style theater. It works great here in Portland, but I am not so sure about it there.

I say give Divaris time with this one and we may be hearing about different news with those theaters.

Two theater idea? Do you mean two separate theaters or two screens at the planned theater? Regal already has two theaters in the area between Pembroke and Columbus. It would make more sense to close one and expand the other. However, if both were to close, then you're talking about a minimum 18-20 screen facility. Given that lot size, you'd need 3-stories of theaters which would effectively be a 6-9 storey building when considering stadium-seating. I'm using the Cinemark theaters at Military and the AMC theaters at Lynnhaven and not the Columbus theaters as my basis since the former two are newer and typical of the multi-plex size currently being built. It is much more likely that this will be an art house. With so many first-run art house films out there, Naro can't show them all, so another local art house works fine. It could also host film festivals like a surf or naval history film festival.

Two theater idea? Do you mean two separate theaters or two screens at the planned theater? Regal already has two theaters in the area between Pembroke and Columbus. It would make more sense to close one and expand the other. However, if both were to close, then you're talking about a minimum 18-20 screen facility. Given that lot size, you'd need 3-stories of theaters which would effectively be a 6-9 storey building when considering stadium-seating. I'm using the Cinemark theaters at Military and the AMC theaters at Lynnhaven and not the Columbus theaters as my basis since the former two are newer and typical of the multi-plex size currently being built. It is much more likely that this will be an art house. With so many first-run art house films out there, Naro can't show them all, so another local art house works fine. It could also host film festivals like a surf or naval history film festival.

If that were the case, I would like to see it be like the Fox Tower here in Portland. Only plays independent movies. The other two theaters downtown only play frst run movies that they split up between the two theater so none of them are competing with each other (of course they are all owned by the same company).

Oh and it is good they are closing the Pembroke theaters because those were crappy theaters. Has the exterior changed on the Columbus theater and have they done any expansions to compete with modern times? Last I remember that theater, it was already becoming outdated.

Edited by urbanlife

If that were the case, I would like to see it be like the Fox Tower here in Portland. Only plays independent movies. The other two theaters downtown only play frst run movies that they split up between the two theater so none of them are competing with each other (of course they are all owned by the same company).

Oh and it is good they are closing the Pembroke theaters because those were crappy theaters. Has the exterior changed on the Columbus theater and have they done any expansions to compete with modern times? Last I remember that theater, it was already becoming outdated.

My friend worked at the Columbus theaters back in high school 8 years ago. He said at that time, Columbus was the worst performing cineplex of all Regal theaters in HR and Pembroke was the best performing one. What caused Columbus to lose money was the huge lobby. If they expanded the place, then the huge lobby would make sense. Columbus has put in stadium seating in its 2 (might be 4) largest theaters at Columbus. But the theaters are still small. Nothing's been done to the exterior. The Pembroke screens are rumored to be closing as part of Target coming to Pembroke Mall. If Pembroke does close, then Columbus has to be completely renovated and expanded.

My friend worked at the Columbus theaters back in high school 8 years ago. He said at that time, Columbus was the worst performing cineplex of all Regal theaters in HR and Pembroke was the best performing one. What caused Columbus to lose money was the huge lobby. If they expanded the place, then the huge lobby would make sense. Columbus has put in stadium seating in its 2 (might be 4) largest theaters at Columbus. But the theaters are still small. Nothing's been done to the exterior. The Pembroke screens are rumored to be closing as part of Target coming to Pembroke Mall. If Pembroke does close, then Columbus has to be completely renovated and expanded.

crap, I say knock it down and rebuild it to fit in with the town center and be a kick ass modern theater. They could sell off some of their left over land for urban development. (if they actually own the land they are on).

From what I remember hearing/reading, the theater scheduled for the Town Center midrise block is going to be a Sundance Theater- Independent/Art films cinema of the Sundance film festival company- owned by Robert Redford.

I say thumbs up if it is. It will help bring art and culture to our Town Center along with the PAC and a diverse array of restaurants.

From what I remember hearing/reading, the theater scheduled for the Town Center midrise block is going to be a Sundance Theater- Independent/Art films cinema of the Sundance film festival company- owned by Robert Redford.

I say thumbs up if it is. It will help bring art and culture to our Town Center along with the PAC and a diverse array of restaurants.

You are correct. I knew it had something to do with independant films, I just couldn't put my finger on it.