Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

it is cool that it will be an independent theater, but I do hope it doesn't put any stress on the Naro. Even better is if this theater worked hand and hand with the Naro, so that neither was competing with the other.

By the way, I am a huge fan of the Naro, I use to go there several times a month for my movie intake.

Ok guys, i'm a bit confused. It was said that the ped. bridge for block 7 was going ahead as was going to connect to pembroke mall but according to this diagram the pedestrian bridge goes from block 4 to the mall and

block 7 is the Westin lot. Are we meaning to say that there will be a pedestrian bridge going from block 7 to Dicks perhaps? :huh:

6bb0e91b.jpg

Ok guys, i'm a bit confused. It was said that the ped. bridge for block 7 was going ahead as was going to connect to pembroke mall but according to this diagram the pedestrian bridge goes from block 4 to the mall and

block 7 is the Westin lot. Are we meaning to say that there will be a pedestrian bridge going from block 7 to Dicks perhaps? :huh:

I recall reading in the phase 3 contract that there will be a bridge between Dick's and Westin. Dick's has an underutilized garage. The AH garage is already filling up and the Westin's garage most certainly will with reserved guest and resident spots in addition to retail and theater traffic. Since Columbus is 4 lanes and Dick's is on Independence versus the the 2 lane streets within TC, removing long at-grade pedestrian crossings will help keep traffic flowing.

Also I took some pics from the 5th floor of the Cosmo parking garage.

DSC02712.jpg

Future office tower lot!

DSC02713.jpg

clubhouse

DSC02711.jpg

I also happen to see someone on one of those motorized scooters, can't remember the name of them. Pretty cool though for getting around in the general area.

DSC02710.jpg

If it's illegal to ride your bike or skateboard on sidewalks, Segways should be illegal too.

Nice PAC pics. It's really coming along. Can't wait to see that Columbus One lot get torn up to make way for Office Tower 2.

By their schedule we should start seeing stuff happen by summer (they list a summer '08 opening for the tower).

I don't think it is illegal here to ride bikes on sidewalks.. at least that I am aware of.

We're both right and wrong. It is legal to ride bikes on sidewalks everywhere except the Oceanfront and TC. Here's the section on TC and bikes from the City Code:

Sec. 7-59.4. Regulations pertaining to riding wheeled devices in Town Center.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to ride on any sidewalk or plaza in the Town Center an all-terrain vehicle, bicycle, electrical personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, electric-powered wheeled device, gas-powered wheeled device, moped, roller blades, roller skates, scooters or skateboards, or a pedal-powered vehicle that is muscle-powered or any other muscle-powered device.

(b) For purposes of this section, the term "Town Center" means the area bounded by and including the sidewalk on the south side of Virginia Beach Boulevard, the Norfolk Southern Corporation property line, the sidewalk on the east side of Independence Boulevard, and the sidewalk on the west side of Constitution Drive.

(Ord. No. 2861, 1-25-05)

Editor's note: Ord. No. 2861, adopted Jan. 25, 2005 added new provisions to the Code as

Here's an interesting find on the idea of a ped bridge crossing 264 to link Bonney/TC with Mt. Trashmore.

article

woah. i was just at the park the other day, and thought how awesome it would be to have a way to walk from towncenter to mt. trashmore via a bridge over the interstate. i shrugged it off as probably crazy and impossible, but this gives me some hope. i really hope it goes through!

a pedestrian bridge would be fairly cheap to do, and could be made into a walking trail that goes from the towncenter to mt. trashmore. Might as well do this if the idea for an overpass is going to be 20+ years down the line.

I bet it would increase the value of city view since it is on bonny road. Maybe that would mean an increase in condos built which would cause an increase in height.

I finally got hold of the fellow who is in charge of Block 7 who confirmed that the Ped Bridge is between Dick's and Block 7 and that there are no plans to his knowledge to construct one going over to Pembroke Mall.

The Ped Bridge being discussed from Trashmore to TC seems to be daunting. It would make sense for it to go to City View, but all the way to TC? I don't know if that would honestly be utilized. People are lazy... look at the drive thru lines at fast food restaurants that snake around the parking lot, rather than park and go inside.

Does the City still own the piece of land that the old Days Inn used to sit on (across from the Crown Plaza, and between the old Knights Inn that's now the Days Inn and the Extended Stay)? Has anyone heard any kind of development uses for that piece? I still can't believe that it's sitting there empty!

Does the City still own the piece of land that the old Days Inn used to sit on (across from the Crown Plaza, and between the old Knights Inn that's now the Days Inn and the Extended Stay)? Has anyone heard any kind of development uses for that piece? I still can't believe that it's sitting there empty!

Yes, that land is owned by the city. Tidewater builders was supposed to build a structure on that lot but I think that project was killed due to a combination of opposition to the project, the 264 overpass plans, and questions about whether it was the wisest use of that land. There was an article about it some time ago. I'll search for it later when I get home.

and that there are no plans to his knowledge to construct one going over to Pembroke Mall. :blush:

<_< That is very disappointing news to hear. I wonder what the deal is? They even have one on the new schematic so perhaps they still plan on adding one later.

The bridge between Dick's and Westin is in the Phase 3 contract and on the latest master plan posted on the TC website.

As for people being lazy, it's more of a scale issue. People feel they are walking a long distance if all they walk past are parking lots. If there are buildings along the sidewalks as found in an urban setting, then the scale shrinks. I keep hearing that 1/4 mile is as far as people will walk before looking to drive. However, I believe this applies more to bland suburban settings. The distance between Mt. Trashmore and TC is about 2/3 mile cutting through Columbus Station and the Convergence Center. Modest redevelopment of those two complexes from suburban apartments and office park, respectively, to a more urban design along the walkway would probably shorten the distance mentally. As is, the walk is about 15 minutes one-way, 30 minutes round-trip. That would make for a good lunch hour exercise or temporary escape from the office (since the walk goes through wetlands and to VB's flagship park).

Speaking of the skywalk between the A/H and Pembroke. I watch a city council meeting last summer (or so) and the presenter said that after the Suntrust branch's least ends this year they will buy the property and construct a multi-level building to link the brigde from the A/H tower. I remember that vividly.

So hopefully they are just waiting for Suntrust's lease to run out.

:whistling:

Speaking of the skywalk between the A/H and Pembroke. I watch a city council meeting last summer (or so) and the presenter said that after the Suntrust branch's least ends this year they will buy the property and construct a multi-level building to link the brigde from the A/H tower. I remember that vividly.

Yeah, I keep wondering about that Suntrust Bank. I am gonna make it a point to ask someone about that branch.

Yes, I believed I mentioned suntrusts lease before. Their lease runs out this year according to the info given unless something has changed which it very well might. With their lease running out soon soon you would think they would be planning something with that skywalk. :unsure:

Metalman was right on this one, I remember hearing the same thing about the lease with suntrust. From what I've heard...Divaris wants nothing to do with the mall. It's not up to the quality that they want to portray with the TC. I believe that's why the guy in charge of block 7 has no knowledge. From what I know it's the city's project. If anyone has better knowledge on this matter I would love for them to correct me on this...I live on the other side of the mall and would love to use the pedestrian overpass.

:good: , Stunad

If you take a look at the Master Plan on the Town Center website you can see the Dicks/Westin and AH/Pemobroke skywalks identified.

BTW- I really like the design of the theater. The sounds wierd coming from a Libra, but I really like the asymetrical design of the building.I was kinda leary of it at first but after I saw multiple renderings and detailed schematics and floor plans of the interior, I must say it looks great and the interior is classy and functional for the audience as well as the performers.

I can't wait to perform in it! :whistling:

Metalman