Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

An applicant from the pedestrian bridge RFP has been selected:

Approved Virginia Beach Boulevard Pedestrian Bridge Design Contract. Rob Hudome reported seven responses to the RFP for this project were received, and three were interviewed. It is the recommendation of staff to award a 60% design contract to P&B America once final negotiations are complete. The proposed fee amount of $317,790, and this will keep the design cost within budget. Construction of the bridge is anticipated to be in the range of $3 to $8 million, but a more conclusive estimate should be available this coming fall. Currently, construction of the bridge is not funded, but more definitive information will be available May 2008 as a result of the next budget cycle. He noted P&B America also designed the proposed pedestrian bridge for the Virginia Aquarium.

• 2 weeks later...

It would REALLY be cool if the Westin would be lit up as well.

The holiday lighting of Town Center, including the new Westin hotel, will begin at 6 p.m. Friday at the Fountain Plaza.

The illumination will include a visit by Santa, entertainment by Seven 5 Seven and the Swinging Santas, and entertainment for children, including face-painting and balloon animals.

Town Center phase nears completion

It's official: The tallest building in Virginia is about to open for business.

The Westin hotel at Town Center will welcome its first guests Tuesday. It occupies 13 floors in the new 38-story Westin tower at Independence Boulevard and Columbus Street.

A week or two later, the first permanent residents will move into the tower. They own condominiums on the 16th and 17th floors.

Gradually, more condo owners will move into the tower - roughly one floor each week as construction is completed. Officials expect that the entire building will be occupied by March or April.

A six-story parking garage that wraps around the tower opened to traffic last week. Parking at that garage and all Town Center garages is free.

Meanwhile, several other developments at Town Center were announced last week:

• 2 weeks later...

A birdy at my apartment complex told me that Breeden plans on building an apartment tower at the town center also... They are upgrading our apartments right now to be the lower scale brother of the tower.

Is this rumor connected to the same rumor about a 60 story bldg at TC that metalman posted about a few months ago? I'm inclined to take this with the same grain of salt I took that info, but there seems to be an awful lot of rumors coalescing around the same area as of late. Do you have any more details about this?

Is this rumor connected to the same rumor about a 60 story bldg at TC that metalman posted about a few months ago? I'm inclined to take this with the same grain of salt I took that info, but there seems to be an awful lot of rumors coalescing around the same area as of late. Do you have any more details about this?

I did? I don't even remember that. :dunno:

I did? I don't even remember that. :dunno:

:lol: It might not have been you. Someone made that comment though, I was just too lazy to go back and search through the thread. I'll look for it.

I don't know how reliable this information is, but a friend of mine who is working on the Westin said there is a rumor about a 60 story building being planed. Has anyone else heard of this? I doubt it's true, but it got my attention.

Lol, it was erdogs. Sorry metalman.

Sorry for not answering. I'm in Seattle right now visiting my son. I honestly don't know much about it yet. As far as do I think it's real, yeah. So far everything that the person has told me about what is in the works for TC has come true. I will do my best in the next couple of months that i have left in the area to find out more info.

• 2 weeks later...

The Phase IV development agreement is now substantially complete and should be presented to the VBDA in January. (it will be presented to council shortly there after). Expect to hear details about blocks 2, 9, and possibly 11 though 11 more than likely will be developed in the final phase.

The Phase IV development agreement is now substantially complete and should be presented to the VBDA in January. (it will be presented to council shortly there after). Expect to hear details about blocks 2, 9, and possibly 11 though 11 more than likely will be developed in the final phase.

Just coming in here, but I'll hope it is true. That's just what VB and the area needs. That would put it right up into its rightful place in the South and SE with Charlotte and Atlanta or even much of the NE. VB is more populous within its city limits than either of those. But Charlotte is already getting another higher than its tops at 60 the BofA. Trump Tower now confirmed will be between 60-70. VB is certainly big enough to even exceed that of Charlotte and be more en rapport with Atlanta and surpass Phila even. Balto's highest is only 40 or 41 but more on the drawing board I read.

I hope Va can enjoy moreso some of the resilience and boom of its Southern neighbors and enjoy some of that region's rise to preeminience. Rather than always relying on No VA to be the benefactor of many projects, it's really just a blob around DC with no real city, just extended DC and characterless, but it is a major revenue producer statewide. It's long past the time Va gets recognized for its urbanity in places, other wise Richmond will always try to take everything coming in and keep the rest of the state back while still proclaiming itself as part of the Old South. That's not true for HR and NoVA, they've always been cosmopolitan and diverse.

Way to go VB!!

Edited by Billiam1