Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

The town center website is down. Hopefully they're in the process of redesigning it and adding new information. :)

I was there earlier today and thought the same thing! I just checked again though and no, they didn't make any changes (or so it seems) and there are no new pictures.

• 1 month later...

There is a spotlight on the Cosmopolitan in the real estate section of the Pilot. In the article they report it is 97% rented which bodes well for the center and other housing that is to come. (ala CityView, The Landing, etc)

Edited by urbanvb

• 2 weeks later...

Armada Hoffler updated a couple of photos on their website of Town Center & the westin...

http://www.armadahoffler.com/portfolio_current.html

http://www.armadahoffler.com/portfolio_multifamily.html

The night shot of TC is a nice one, although low resolution. I'd hoped with these being updated, maybe some day soon vabeachtowncenter.com would update their photos but the most current are still july '07...

Edited by Alpine757

WHat a crock.. They only mentioned The officer tower at 21 stories for Phase IV.. THere is no information on block 9 or 11.. How misleading VBBDOG is..

:lol: Haha, calm down there killer, it's all right. Usually they do though it appears they just discussed the term sheet particulars, I was hoping to see more in the informal briefing but they just waited for the presentation during the formal. I am surprised it only passed 8-3 however.. The city really only has to vote on that which contains public financing. Apparently block 11 is a later phase and block 9 will be completely private (like Two Columbus Center). You will definitely see more when the MOU is agreed upon along with the master development aggreement (later this year). On the bright side, there was a new color rendering from the VB blvd angle. Also, looks like construction will begin in the Fall.

Beach gets first look at finances for new Town Center tower

link

Gotta love the first sentence of the article: "The newest tower at Town Center could cost taxpayers $30 million." I have to believe the Pilot does this kind of thing just so it can get posts to their web site. Makes them think they are some kind of watch dog or something. And it's working. Look at the posts. 100% negative. Not one neutral comment. I guess people around here think if we never built anything, we could just go to the Dollar Tree and pluck some off to pay for services. Apparently giving people "their" money back so they can use it to buy their Bud Light will solve our economic woes and make us a great city like . . . what's that one in the Midwest or something, over by the railroad tracks and empty hardware store?

Thank goodness their calls to "Vote them out!" usually fall on deaf ears. And on the rare occasion that it happens, someone else refusing to keep us down steps in. Thank goodness cities like ours are run by business people and not politicians.

Edited by Sky06

Heh! Can you pick mine out?

My older coworkers today were telling me about politicians. I guess when Cox communications came to Hampton Roads, they gave mayors and politicians stock options that weren't available to the public as a thank you for the charter. They couldn't cash the stock options for 10 years, but in the end I guess they were worth $1 mil to some of the people that received them? Would like to verify that. Basically they bought their franchise with kickbacks. Something that should be illegal :-(

I know that Irving Hill guy that used to show up on channel 13, someone said Cox gave him that as a thank you for their monopoly (he used to be a politician).

There is probably some other benefits to handing over these construction deals to the builders.

I understand there are tax benefits in the long run, but you could say that by not collecting taxes from homeowners they will spend more generating more tax revenue. The broken window theory.

Gotta love the first sentence of the article: "The newest tower at Town Center could cost taxpayers $30 million." I have to believe the Pilot does this kind of thing just so it can get posts to their web site. Makes them think they are some kind of watch dog or something. And it's working. Look at the posts. 100% negative. Not one neutral comment. I guess people around here think if we never built anything, we could just go to the Dollar Tree and pluck some off to pay for services. Apparently giving people "their" money back so they can use it to buy their Bud Light will solve our economic woes and make us a great city like . . . what's that one in the Midwest or something, over by the railroad tracks and empty hardware store?

Thank goodness their calls to "Vote them out!" usually fall on deaf ears. And on the rare occasion that it happens, someone else refusing to keep us down steps in. Thank goodness cities like ours are run by business people and not politicians.

I like to think that taxpayers are "investing" in the newest tower - come on VA Pilot!

• 1 month later...

Couldn't decide which thread to put this in but I guess it'll fit best here since it really deals with all projects in the area. The developers of the City View project have posted an aerial map of how their project will look juxtaposed with town center. They even included the block 2 & 11 towers. :)

CityViewandTC.jpg

Man, that land by regal and barnes and noble is just ripe for developing. I wonder if anyone is thinking of snatching that land up for future development. Now if we can only get City Walk off the ground we'll have a true downtown taking shape.

I was noticing though how City View's first phase (on left) seems pretty disconnected from Town Center. I am hoping there is more connectivity to it than we can see.

I was under the impression that the plans include a walking bridge through the wetlands area connecting Phase 2 to Phase 1 and thus the rest of TC.

Dick sporting goods needs a tower or something above it.. It looks really out of place.. and I agree. The regal Planet music Barnes & noble shopping center needs to be bought out or something and Build over there... Another mixed use development.. It would look great.. Im disappointed that there is nothing on block 9 in the picture below.. just another green park..What is those buildings near the 64/264 Interchange?

Couldn't decide which thread to put this in but I guess it'll fit best here since it really deals with all projects in the area. The developers of the City View project have posted an aerial map of how their project will look juxtaposed with town center. They even included the block 2 & 11 towers. :)

CityViewandTC.jpg

I hope the bridge across the creek connecting CityView with Town Center has some sort of aesthetic quality to it. I always wished the bridge crossing the creek by PA High School could be rebuilt as a more significant structure to signify that you have entered the urban center of the city. It would be a shame to not accentuate the natural beauty of the creek at the crossing.

I hope the bridge across the creek connecting CityView with Town Center has some sort of aesthetic quality to it. I always wished the bridge crossing the creek by PA High School could be rebuilt as a more significant structure to signify that you have entered the urban center of the city. It would be a shame to not accentuate the natural beauty of the creek at the crossing.

Seeing as it is being built within a neighborhood, we can likely expect that it will not be a simple concrete bridge. It will likely have nice railings and maybe stone work. Just my guess...

• 2 weeks later...