Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

• 3 weeks later...

I received an email from Studio 56 sales team which states: "There will be an announcement of a grocer in Town Center in the fall. A new boutique hotel with a major retailer located on the first floor will be started this fall as well. " Good stuff!

sounds like a good move forward. It is funny, in a very short period of time Virginia Beach has scored themselves a very dense downtown with a very underdeveloped CBD. Wish the market held alittle bit longer so that a few other big projects could of made it through for the city, but with everyone jumping onto adjustable mortgages, it was just a matter of time before it all came crashing down.

I linked to Divaris's newsletter page where they made reference to that some time ago. It's cool that another source is backing that up. In the newest 'completed' photo of Town Center you can just barley make out the roof line of the 8 story boutique hotel.

...and speaking of Studio 56. I went to Melt both Wednesday night for gelato and thursday morning for some crepes for lunch. There sorbettos and gelatos are AMAZING! and the crepe was very good. It had a decent, modern interior. Seemed like a cool place you could hang out for a bit. I spoke to one of the owners when I went for lunch. She said that her and her partner used to own a chain of Sprint/Nextel stores and sold them to open Melt up. They opened on the 4th of July. She said they are doin' well so far, but still workin' out the bugs....good luck to them, I say.

another tidbit I found... Dated May 20, 2008

TOWN CENTER

4. Mark Wawner reported the following regarding Town Center:

Two Columbus Center: working on internal plumbing, on schedule.

Westin Condominiums: Closed on 50 units to date.

Studio 56: Closed on 25 of 37 signed contracts.

Armada Hoffler exercising option on Block 6 retail, anticipate closing by month’s end.

Block 10 – Cache recently opened, several other retailers not yet ready to be announced.

Mr. Wawner noted Warren Harris, Jim Wood, and Cynthia Spanoulis are attending the annual ICSC convention in Las Vegas which has representatives from retailers world wide.

from- http://www.yesvirginiabeach.com/file_sourc...ay20Minutes.pdf

I believe that "Armada Hoffler exercising option on Block 6 retail" refers to the retail portion as a part of the Sandler Center that is projected to be facing Independence Blvd.

Edited by metalman

So I didn't get to read the entire article, but I did skim it... I like the idea at the bottom that Mr. Divaris proposed, to move the courts/municipal center to Pembroke! That would be awesome and make soooo much more sense than having it all out in Pungo... The Pungo land could be turned into a school or a college maybe? Anyway, while I like the idea, I know it is not at all feasible since it would cost a fortune and the city just spent a lot of money on things out there like the jail renovations... :( It would be aweosme though to put it all in one big skyscraper! Perched right on the corner of Independence and VB Blvds! Should it take the gas station or the bank? OOOOH or how about Circuit City or the previously named City Walk land?

the current city hall area would make a perfect campus, minus the jail building. I would think the best spot for them would be where the high school currently is (I think it is Pembroke High, but been so long, I dont remember). They could easily have an urban government campus in that area. I am sure after this study there will be a huge wish list, but chances of alot of these things happening is very slim.

So I didn't get to read the entire article, but I did skim it... I like the idea at the bottom that Mr. Divaris proposed, to move the courts/municipal center to Pembroke! That would be awesome and make soooo much more sense than having it all out in Pungo... The Pungo land could be turned into a school or a college maybe? Anyway, while I like the idea, I know it is not at all feasible since it would cost a fortune and the city just spent a lot of money on things out there like the jail renovations... :( It would be aweosme though to put it all in one big skyscraper! Perched right on the corner of Independence and VB Blvds! Should it take the gas station or the bank? OOOOH or how about Circuit City or the previously named City Walk land?

So Divaris and the Meyera have the same dream? Who would've guessed. The municipal center is out in Pungo because P.A. County good ole boys wanted the former county center to stay there after merging with the town of VB. Otherwise, City Hall may have been at the Oceanfront. The current municipal center would make a great college campus especially with the nearby Sportsplex (finally a long-term use for it).

The main municipal services that people use are Treasuer (which has branches throughout city), utilities, planning/permits/PW, courts, school board meetings, and council meetings. There are other city services spread throughout town including Economic Development (at TC), Human Services (at Little Neck), Libraries (at Central) and Public Health (at Pembroke Corporate behind Kmart).

Residents don't interact with most city personnel, so it doesn't help to move them. I would consolidate Econ Dev, Human Services, and Public Health in one central location in Pembroke/TC. I'd add to that a research counter for Planning/Permits/PW so residents and designers don't have to drive all the way to Pungo to look up and print record drawings. Everything should be electronic (or microfiche) so linking the satellite office with the main office either electronically or via microfiche duplicates shouldn't be a problem. A satellite council chambers can also be provided so that one meeting a month can be held there, preferably to discuss issues relating to northern VB. Moving neighborhood perservation dept to northern VB would make sense too. Finally, a traffic court and a small claims court could be added to this center since those don't require Sheriff/jail services. With all the parking in TC, you wouldn't need to add any. Replacing that long 2-story building on Columbus would be perfect. And you could tie an LR station into it.

Revitalizing Pembroke is simply a matter of innercity relocation. Case and point, Lynnhaven Parkway. It's full of offices, the post office, and the biggest bane of Oceana's existance, the Lynnhaven Mall. The biggest mall in the city, built right down their flight path.

The whole Pembroke areas has vacant lots, an old run down mall, and a need for more filler buildings. It could be the first huge movement in the city to deconstruct the suburbs and condense the city. The whole lynnhaven parkway could then be converted back into green space. Plant trees, create parks, nature trails etc. And, there is already a nice traffic efficient street built right through it (the parkway). No houses would be displaced, just office relocation.

It's a huge plan and probably not likely on so many levels. However, IMO, it's the best thing the city could do for now.

The other idea to revitalize the area: build smaller, take up more land. This area doesn't have the demand for high rises to the extent I know we would all like, however that doesn't mean we can't be a beautiful low rise city. Street level is the most important facet of a city IMO. Build smaller, take up more space with beautiful low rise buildings. We could become the Europe of the US...

...fourth block made into a park, then the rest of the land sold off to be developed into an urban setting.
VB definately needs to increase the green throughout the downtown area. Was just in Charlotte and must say its amazing to see the steel/real jungle blend in the city. Also, please no more ridiculously elongated Westin style parking garages, really destroys the feeling of density...

anyone visisted yet?
Well, gave Mint a try. I was really looking forward to a closer solution to my gelato craving, than Colangelo's at Oyster Point. Unfortunately, Mint missed the mark as a reliable gelato vendor. First reason was the product itself -- seemed too high in butterfat, much closer to Coldstone than one would expect gelato to be. Gelato is made from whole milk, and little cream, with the flavors coming from the freshness and intensity of the fruit or other flavoring -- never artificial. Which gets to the second issue -- the flavors. Perhaps they suffered from my having just spend two weeks in Europe, and eating gelato every other day, it seemed. I like the single mindedness of Italian gelato -- if I want nutella and cinnamon, I get it. If I want just nutella, I get it. And so on -- yet at Mint, one is forced into Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk or Banana Caramel Praline in servings that are twice the size of traditional gelato. In Italy, one can get a single scoop for around a Euro -- $1.50. You won't get out of Mint for less than $4 -- with a serving that is probably 2X too big.

So, if you want Coldstone, without the mixings, go to Mint for some excellent ice cream. If you want gelato, drive to Oyster Point. Closer than flying to Italy.

• 2 weeks later...

i may be off topic here, feel free to move the comment, but i live up north and am having trouble following development down there. is virginia beach TC going to have any more 20 or 30 storiers put in still or is it nearing completion? and if or when the tc is full, do you guys think that the redevelopment will spill over onto neighboring areas of land? are there any plans for anything like this?

thanks for any info!! and it seems like youre forum is much more lively than ours!

I personally would love for Independence to be dropped beneath Virginia Beach Blvd, but i don't think it'll happen. And while the nimbys are out in force, i do have to agree, the idea of shrinking virginia beach blvd is one of the worst ideas in a long time

I personally would love for Independence to be dropped beneath Virginia Beach Blvd, but i don't think it'll happen. And while the nimbys are out in force, i do have to agree, the idea of shrinking virginia beach blvd is one of the worst ideas in a long time

I agree, there is no reason to shrink va beach blvd. We have enough space around and the sidewalks are fine. Plus, I want it to turn into the Champs Elysee of Virginia Beach one day, and that required a wide blvd.

Everything else sounds great to me.

a better answer for VB Blvd would be to increase building density on both sides and having a couple large width skywalk spans with retail on the walk. Basically covering VB Blvd.

Indy would be worth while to bury and have traffic going from Indy to VB Bvld redirected to flow smoother. Also this would allow for a park to stretch across Indy to development to the west.

The interchange at Indy needs a serious overhaul if this downtown is ever going to work.

Peruse this website... http://www.downtownvb.com
Interesting read, MM -- thanks for finding it.

The brochure describing this talks about signage pointing to parking garages as a way to improve flow. I hope they consider the European style signage that incorporates real time available inventory into the directions. Example:

post-11351-1219408106_thumb.jpg

Since TC doesn't charge for parking, they would have to incorporate counters at both the entry and egress points, but shouldn't be very difficult.

And mistermetaj, I would suggest that it is the tree lined twenty foot wide sidewalks, home of many sidewalk cafes and street front retail, that make the Champs Elysees what it is -- not the four traffic lanes in each direction. Isn't it interesting that people are scared to cross VB Blvd without a skywalk -- never seen even a hint of that fear in Paris, with as much or more traffic on Champs Elysees. The entire streetscape has a traffic calming effect -- keep the streetscape (and sidewalk widths) you have now on VB Blvd, and you will never get the effect you desire.

Finally, VDogg -- this has gotten really :offtopic: for VB LR -- maybe move it to the VB CC/TC topic?