Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

Notice that you dont see the 15 story Tower Planned in Phase IV> Aloft Hotel/Apartments. That project was pushed in with the Gateway Bank Project.

and The Urban Market Tower. Far Left building Is being pushed as well For Phase IV.. Which Is going to be going infront of the Planning Commission on March 11th As the other guy said.. See how quick they design a building and Push it with other phases.. amazing

Which far left building? If you're referring to the far left building on the existing corner parking, according to you the UMT is going exactly there.

varider it's okay to say you're doubting, i think we all are, hopeful but skeptical, we're talking the largest project since the Hilton in the throes of one of the worst economic situations our generation has ever seen. Basing it off rumor and hearsay is asking alot. We all feel the same as you do...we're hoping that it comes to fruition, but we're all skeptical until there's something besides one person saying it.

It all sounds good.. I'm not doubting you or anything I was just looking at the agenda for March 11 Planning Commission and didn't see anything about town center..? I saw something about Gateway Enterprises but it was at Princess Anne Road..

Aloft is going before the commission on march 11th. I posted it in the aloft thread.

This project is moving forward. New rendering on page 8 that I think you guys will like. :shades:

It's dated Feb. 11th but another Item related to it was deferred to the next meeting in March. The notation on the item said the developer needed to iron out some issues. Just go to the planning commission website, I'm tired of copying and pasting. :lol:

Which far left building? If you're referring to the far left building on the existing corner parking, according to you the UMT is going exactly there.

varider it's okay to say you're doubting, i think we all are, hopeful but skeptical, we're talking the largest project since the Hilton in the throes of one of the worst economic situations our generation has ever seen. Basing it off rumor and hearsay is asking alot. We all feel the same as you do...we're hoping that it comes to fruition, but we're all skeptical until there's something besides one person saying it.

I'm still a little shell shocked from the Korean skyscraper debacle, lol. I'll never pin my hopes on something like that again.

Yeah, I am gonna have to side with everyone skeptical about the whole Urban Market Tower. I am still a bit confused on its location. Is it the proposed tower that is suppose to go in the parking lot east of the Cosmo? because I thought that was something else.

So I am curious what all is planned for the next phase.

Plus I remember someone mentioning the theater moving? Which would free up land for the shopping area to the east to be redeveloped, which was just a matter of time.

I guess I need some real documents to buy into much of this.

I'm still a little shell shocked from the Korean skyscraper debacle, lol. I'll never pin my hopes on something like that again.

That was the city's fault, not the developer, i'm still smarting from that one, losing a chance, however unlikely, to completely redevelop the city in fell swoop. I'm with you though :thumbsup:

THE WHAT??

Like it or not, all agree $4 billion development is huge

A $4 billion proposal to build skyscrapers, hotels and condos at the Oceanfront and a massive golf resort near City Hall has left many business leaders and residents stunned.
Official renderings....

Convention Center (twin 40 story towers)

renderingconvention.jpg

Rudee Loop (yacht club & hotel)

renderingrudee.jpg

TPC Golf Course (golf academy, amusement park)

renderingtpc.jpg

Dome Site (medical and condos)

renderingdome.jpg

Follow up article about the business deal

South Korean Plan Teeters on Cultural Differences

GREAT article about how everythin came together so unexpectedly, but if this guy blows it cause he's a moron, then we need to run him out of town on a rail...

Enter David Hansen.

A former Army officer who was named the city's finance chief in April, Hansen's job was to take over for Maxwell and keep a good relationship with Sun Rise.

It didn't work out that way.

Kyoung-Mi Lee, Sun Rise's general manager, said that since Hansen took over for the city, her company has felt disrespected.

While Maxwell and Sun Rise were working on a memorandum of understanding - a legal document akin to a contract - Hansen said the city was ready only for a memorandum of support - a nonbinding document that committed the city just to listen.

Hansen also has issues with Jimmy Lee. Hansen said he is not an official representative of Sun Rise and, therefore, Hansen won't recognize him in negotiations.

Here's the old thread for it. http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/4-billio...ect-t33561.html

No. This was some scam for the City to give them building rights after they abandoned some Mixed use development project in California. And sunrise development can not build anywhere in the United States. They wanted to build here.. This project Is not going to happen. It needs to be taken off urbanplanet.org site.

This project Is not going to happen. It needs to be taken off urbanplanet.org site.

Oh it's definitely not going to happen but i'm not going to delete the thread. There was a lot of interesting discussion in there that people might like to look at again someday.

• 1 month later...

This is from the development authorities meeting back in February and has some general TC info. I'll be interested to see if they're still on schedule with the beacon building closure.

Town Center Update.

Mark Wawner reported the following regarding Town Center:

- Beacon office space build out is ahead of schedule –occupancy and Beacon

building closing anticipated to occur in April.

- Phase IV documentation finalized – minor modifications to be clarified.

- Three Town Center items were on the Planning Commission agenda last week

and will come before City Council within the next couple months.

i. Closure of a 15 sq. ft. triangular section at the corner of Columbus and

Market across from Dick’s Sporting Goods to correct a pre-existing issue

was approved. This will come before City Council in March.

ii. The conditional use permit for Phoenix University to be located in Block

10 was approved.

iii. Town Center Associates’ (Armada/Hoffler) request for a conditional use

permit for multi-family dwellings on Block 9 was deferred because of

proposed changes, and will come back before the Planning Commission

with revised renderings. This is required to assure a proper balance of

mixed uses is maintained.

• 2 weeks later...

Pembroke Implementation Prelimanary Vision Plan. Caution: LARGE PDF FILE.

Pembroke Implementation Plan Draft:

includes:

restructuring suburban street grid to an accessible, urban grid

extensive transit oriented development

tons of infill developments filling all of pembroke

retail, housing, business opportunities

"world class downtown"

some sort of elevated transit system

NBA Arena

I might be changing my mind about Downtown Va Beach becoming bigger than Downtown Norfolk. It very well might be. Sooner than we think

Edited by varider

Some of the 'opportunities' for Pembroke:

-"Great Opportunity for Sports Arena"

-"City Government center relocated here, would strengthen identity of city."

WOW Page 32 is intense!

So is 33, with an arena there! It also shows VB Blvd getting some modifications, included what looks like the road splitting from the two sides with a park in between!

very ambitious plans, I can imagine seeing about half of this coming to reality, much of what is north of 264 has a better chance for renovation.

The islands along VB Blvd looks a little weird....I would think it would make more sense to split VB Blvd into two roads through Pembroke, basically two 4 lane one way roads...that is about the only way they can make that road less of a barrier. Which is something they should think about doing sooner rather than later because right now they would have much less resistance to push through a new road, but once development begins to happen, that will change.

Stadium looks good in that location, makes more sense than the original location the city was saying.

So the city is calling this a CBD, I guess we can officially call this downtown VB...or just Pembroke...oh my, this is really going to be the downtown with several names, talk about an identity crisis. Also, I really liked the marking of the districts that will be created within Pembroke, that could turn into a huge thing for the area when development really starts going. I also can see some of the industrial area surviving this transformation...or at least I hope some of that character stays.

Also a couple notes about the report in general...it looks like CMSS has been hiring some people that look like they actually have talent, which is nice to see...though I hope they do not end up building the majority of this downtown because it really needs a mix of architects to design to keep it from feeling stagnate. Being a Portlander, it was great to see they had someone that is well informed on LEED working on this because every new building being built should be no less that LEED certified, which I personally feel LEED doesnt go far enough....but it makes no sense for VB to go into the future with this downtown and not plan for it to be a "green" downtown. I would love to see energy producing buildings that provide power to surrounding blocks.

Umm...Anyone notice how tall the building on block 11 is? It's taller than the Westin. I know this is just a general representation but could this be the fabled "Urban Market Tower"? That thing is easily clocking in at about 50 floors. Va. Beach really seems to be embracing this whole height thing. :)

ScreenShot008.jpg

Umm...Anyone notice how tall the building on block 11 is? It's taller than the Westin. I know this is just a general representation but could this be the fabled "Urban Market Tower"? That thing is easily clocking in at about 50 floors. Va. Beach really seems to be embracing this whole height thing. :)

ScreenShot008.jpg

Nothing in the picture looks bigger taller the westin to me. Can you put a circle around what building you are talking about?

Nothing in the picture looks bigger taller the westin to me. Can you put a circle around what building you are talking about?

Tallest one on the far right edge of the pic. That is unless I have the orientation of the thing wrong.

Nevermind, I do have the orientation wrong. That is the Westin :lol:

That being said the building on the lower right definitely looks like it's giving the Westin some strong competition.

I have no clue where Westin and Armada Hoffler are!But it looks like the Westin is the shorter of the two supertalls. All I see is tall Lego Blocks. It looks like there is probably 11 or 12 buildings over 20 stories. That's amazing. But vdogg could you pull the other picture from the PDF with the arena and all that? That rendering looks to have over 20 buildings over 20 stories. It looks like Pembroke would be split into sort of an uptown and downtown type scenerio.

Edited by varider

hahaha page 32... look at where the Taco Bell is (Find the AH and Westin towers and then you can figure it out). Looks like they plan a building to wrap around Taco Bell, not expecting it to go anywhere any time soon!

Anyway it really is amazing how much bigger/denser it looks when Pembroke Mall is redeveloped!