Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

But nothing is stopping them from moving the city hall and more political things to Pembroke...granted it would separate the city politics from the courts system, but I am not really convinced they have to keep city hall with all of that....though on the other hand, this is Virginia Beach, the city that likes to have a little bit spread out all over its city.

Of course on the flip side, if the city hall and much of the municipal functioned stayed at the current campus, that would be more possibility for private development to happen at Pembroke.

Speaking of the mall, I am guessing it will eventually go through redevelopment phases, first phase once the general plan for the area is completed, would be building an urban mall or a small collection of multi floor buildings that are connected together (basically an urban mall), then removing parts of the mall to continue the redevelopment....keeping Sears where they are shouldnt be too much of an issue seeing it is still a stand alone structure....that would just be added into the street grid and give Sears its own block. Once the new urban mall was completed, the rest of the old mall would be removed, then parking structures would be constructed to add the new urban mall...once this was completed, the left over land would then either be built on by the owners of the mall or sold off to developers to develop into whatever they wanted.

Though for something like this to work, would require a public/private partnership with the help of constructing the garages and street grid with utilities. It is a smart idea for the city to have its hand in as many as these parking garages as they can because eventually parking will no longer be free at Pembroke and the city will be in line to take a sizable cut from these garages.

I kinda disagree with "if the city hall and much of the municipal functioned stayed at the current campus, that would be more possibility for private development" Although I see what you're saying, from my perspective moving city hall to TC would only increase the foot traffic and mixture of uses, which would spur more local private business which city hall employees and users will need....and not just lunch spots but lawyer's offices, prolly a UPS store, etc.

To me, the most important thing is to continually mix the uses. Every 'use' has its own consumer behavior, needs, hours which seeks to diversify and stabilize the local market.

For instance, even if light industrial opened, like a small printing press. While it may appear like a seemingly incompatible land-use, but presses tend to print late into the night, which means the workers might be taking lunch around midnight, which would help encourage eateries to open til at least 1am, this in turn would attract the late night urban young folks who at least know those places will stay open. (A little bit hypothetical but you get it).

Now on the mall, I think it would be great to have several dense walkable store with link into the street grid. I would also like to see some of the old walkthru arcades like what we have in downtown Norfolk. It bisects the street grid, promoting walkability and still providing semi-covered and air conditioned shopping...not to mention it provides unique shopping opportunities and the ability to create arcades with individual character; like a women's boutique arcade, a food court arcade, a electronics arcade, even an outlet arcade... you can even put a light rail stop in the middle of one...if you wanted too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Arcade

I kinda disagree with "if the city hall and much of the municipal functioned stayed at the current campus, that would be more possibility for private development" Although I see what you're saying, from my perspective moving city hall to TC would only increase the foot traffic and mixture of uses, which would spur more local private business which city hall employees and users will need....and not just lunch spots but lawyer's offices, prolly a UPS store, etc.

Possibility and promoting are different things, so there is nothing here to disagree on. I was pointing out that it would leave more land open to be redeveloped by something that could be taxed. You pointed out that by moving city hall stuff there would promote foot traffic and a mixture of people in the area, which I totally agree with.

• 2 months later...

Wow, that's a rather impressive plan to say the least!

I really like the fact that they've incorporated a marina type setting along thalia creek where PA high currently sits. That would definitely make the TC area more environmentally beautiful-

Could you point me to where there is a marina?

Town center has been too quite lately, lets get some construction going or at least some new renderings! I hope this recession ends soon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Don't remember a mention of this but since Relax the Backs closed there is now a notice for market/deli type thing called Simply Fresh or Fresh and Simple or something like that. Looks like it might be like "The Cheese Shoppe" in Merchants Square Wmsburg.

Yeah I talked to the owner. He closed his franchise with Melto Gelato. He was losing money hard. And he renamed the shop. Its called Confetti Caffee and Gelato.. Completely new menu, new interior. better atmosphere. they opened friday after 2 weeks of renovation

Edited by HarryVB

There has been no news about Jillians moving anywhere else other than Chesapeake since they announced they were moving there at the end of last year. So my guess is that they are still moving that way until they say otherwise, unless HarryVB has actual proof about this...but it is becoming very common for Harry to throw out non-real news with no information to back it up from time to time.

Well that is not what I hear. I know a guy who does the events for Jillians. The Company Dave & Buster realized Town Center was a better location. Most of their establishments are in town center areas. The guy who does the events said Jillians will move into town center of Virginia Beach. They think it would be a great edition for entertainment already in the famous TC. There would be a mix of entertainment for all ages. from the bars to the sandler center, funny bone comedy club, Jillans, all the new restraunts moving into town center. Trust me on this. Its gonna happen.. A event planner is not going to lie about something like this. He works with the company to sit up the events.. He said Chesapeake is too much out the way and not in a urban setting like town center..Oh and not to mention. We have free parking and plenty of it at town center. With norfolk you gotta pay for everything with limited parking.. I wouldnt be surprised if other establishments like Jillians moves into VB town center. or the new upscale theatre place like in hampton town centre..

Also, put this to mind.. With the Volume of traffic that travels on VBBLVD and Independence and with Town Center right in the middle of it. Who wouldnt move a business with high traffic volume? More Cars more Customers, more revenue.. Its a win win situation. unlike norfolk. There was not much traffic volume in waterside.. Jillians sees this as a large oppurtunity and they know they will do very well. With the Medium Income as the 3rd largest in the nation at 78k a year.. its not rocket science guys.

Edited by HarryVB

Well that is not what I hear. I know a guy who does the events for Jillians. The Company Dave & Buster realized Town Center was a better location. Most of their establishments are in town center areas.

You are talking about Jillians but mention Dave & Busters....

1) I am not sure but are they owned by the same company?

2) I COULD see a Dave & Busters coming to VB. You sure they aren't moving Jillians to Chesapeake and D&B is considering coming to VB?

Dave and Busters is the Company whom Owns Jillians.. They are moving Jillians to Town Center. They said its a better suitable location. more centrally located and in the middle of it all.. Chesapeake is out the way and not really in the metro. its off to the side.. They want a location that will be close to the beach and in a urban setting.. But they also got the opp of future lightrail too.

Dave and Busters is the Company whom Owns Jillians.. They are moving Jillians to Town Center. They said its a better suitable location. more centrally located and in the middle of it all.. Chesapeake is out the way and not really in the metro. its off to the side.. They want a location that will be close to the beach and in a urban setting.. But they also got the opp of future lightrail too.

Well so far this is all just rumor from one person, and sorry harryVB you tend to be known for jumping the gun on things or saying things that just end up not being true, so I am gonna need to see some actual proof about this one...though I will agree with you, it would make alot of sense for Dave and Busters to have something like this at the town center.