Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

I talked to someone that works at Armada Hoffler and apparently the Aloft block is up for development next. There's rumblings of the block having retail on the ground floor, a movie theater upstairs, as well as the possibility of a rooftop bar.

Noooo!!!!! I want the Gateway tower first. As a resident they do too much fun stuff in that parking lot for them to develop it next. I know it's going to happen, I just want it later rather than sooner.

Noooo!!!!! I want the Gateway tower first. As a resident they do too much fun stuff in that parking lot for them to develop it next. I know it's going to happen, I just want it later rather than sooner.

I kinda agree. That lot has become a gathering point for people and events. I'd almost rather they turn that into a small lawn style park and concentrate development efforts on block 2. And by concentrate I mean go big with a nice signature high rise.

That's gonna be Phase IV. I guess we not gonna have a Gateway Bank headquarters and branch in that tower, but I hope we still get a Crate and Barrel!.

It would seem to be a good time for Crate and Barrel to open a store here now that there is some higher end retail at TC. Also with a possible Fresh Market going in near the mall, C&B could be a pretty good fit.

Edited by urbanvb

I kinda agree. That lot has become a gathering point for people and events. I'd almost rather they turn that into a small lawn style park and concentrate development efforts on block 2. And by concentrate I mean go big with a nice signature high rise.

Ultimately as the Pembroke area develops further, it's imperative that the City and other developers take consideration the idea of developing additional, and potentially larger urban plazas and parks to accommodate events, festivals, and more. A part of me hopes that the city buys the Arby's corporate office by Central Park next to the Dick's Garage in Town Center to expand green space over there and truly make it a park to sit and congregate, have lunch, etc.

I talked to someone that works at Armada Hoffler and apparently the Aloft block is up for development next. There's rumblings of the block having retail on the ground floor, movie theater upstairs, as well as the possibility of a rooftop bar.

The good news about a theater being built in the next phase is that it opens up the possibility of the current theater and that whole strip mall, which would make for a great 6 block development.

The good news about a theater being built in the next phase is that it opens up the possibility of the current theater and that whole strip mall, which would make for a great 6 block development.

You beat me to the punch. Indeed the Regal theater and parking lot would be a great parcel for redevelopment.

Once LR is connected to TC.... I think there will be an increase in residential development.

I wonder if it might be about time at that point for a high-rise condo. Probably not a Granby Towers sized high-rise... but perhaps a still significant 20-25 story 250-300 foot tall condo tower.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, it looks like development in Town Center is stalled for the time being.

"Approved a resolution amending the Town Center Option Agreement Amendment for Block 2 and Block 9 contingent on City Council’s approval on same this afternoon. Armada Hoffler has not finalized plans for Block 9 and plans for Block 2 are several years away. A deed restriction for Block 9 is included which provides for Authority and City approval over any future development, and right to repurchase if there are no approved development plans by April 30, 2018. Sale proceeds will be used to retire a Wells Fargo loan. The developer will incur an option fee equal to the real estate taxes on Block 2 in addition to a special fee. Pertinent documents and the PowerPoint presentation are hereby incorporated into these minutes.

MOTION: Michael H. Levinson"

Really need that LR line to spur TOD............

I agree. That's the missing link in the development to this point. IMO, once the light rail gets to TC, we'll start to see development pick up some. Especially if further expansion is on the horizon (ie: To the Naval Base through ODU and/or to the Oceanfront).

• 3 weeks later...

Armada Hoffler has closed on the Block 9 property. This may or may not be an indication of movement towards development. It may just be a legal maneuver that is beneficial to the company and the city since they still have till 4/30/2018 to finalize something. In other news, a Tupelo Honey will be opening in the Main Street tower by the end of the summer.

• 2 months later...

I'm guessing that would be the building below? I always liked that design. 

They started the groundbreaking on TC right after I graduated high school. Being I can remember when it was just trees, I am amazed by the development, and hope they expand to include the Pembroke Office Park, as well as the old HQ lot. Someone up here once compared the TC skyline to what's in Arlington...I could see that happening in the next 10 or so years.

The article mentions One Columbus Center. Hard to not only believe that was once the only tall building there, considering it's hidden behind all the other buildings now! :P

0719beacon350x375.jpg