Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

Having lived right next to TC from about 1998 to 2008 it was amazing to see all the changes. I recall how at first I was upset to see all the trees torn down. As time went by and as it was built up, I really enjoyed waking over and seeing what was going up next. Today, I feel the center is a jewel for the city. A place for the locals and tourists alike. And it can only get better over time. ^_^

Looking through some of my pictures I found this. Anyone remember this? :o I wish I had a date for this newspaper scan. I'm thinking 97 to 99. It had to be pretty early... tc2.jpg

tc3.jpg

tc1.jpg

Edited by urbanvb

Ugh, that IS really 90s looking. A sad era in the history of architecture. That second rendering looks a lot like Reston Town Center. It's refreshing to see that VB Town Center looks and feels a lot more modern and organic, in the sense that it doesn't intend to be cooped up to just a few city (or in the case of Reston, suburban) blocks. Although its located on only one side of the Blvd (as of right now) it doesn't feel isolated, it genuinely feels part of the surrounding area.

• 2 weeks later...

I still have old film photos of what that area looked like when it was all trees and when they were cutting down the trees. It still amazes me that there is actually tall buildings there....though on the flip side, there really needs to be street lights instead of stop signs because I felt it to be a little dangerous whenever crossing a street there with so many people whipping into the Town Center looking for a parking garage.

• 1 month later...

The old IHOP next to Town Center was finally leveled and is making way for a new retail building that aims to complement everything else that is going in. By the looks of the rendering it's along the scale of the Walgreens on Constitution/VB Blvd.

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/10/around-town-iconic-building-demolished-new-businesses-coming

I may be too sentimental but I hated to see the IHOP building go down. That style of building was so reminiscent of years gone by which largely ceases to exist anymore. 

Agreed 100%. I think the one in Hampton is the only one left in this area.  

Town Center Complex? I just hate how they tack "Town Center" on every development now when don't have anything remotely to do with Town Center across the street. If they were to keep in the spirit of dense and urban development that would be one thing, but these developments are largely suburban.

Town Center Complex? I just hate how they tack "Town Center" on every development now when don't have anything remotely to do with Town Center across the street. If they were to keep in the spirit of dense and urban development that would be one thing, but these developments are largely suburban.

I do feel that we're getting to the point that the "Town Center" name may be too vague for the whole area, and we may need to start recognizing the whole area as something uniform. Perhaps it's time to adopt Uptown VB, Pembroke, or something of the sort, using signage throughout to help define a sense of place.

Since this area is adjacent to TC why not name it something else? Over time it could have it's own identity besides TC. I never really cared for the TC moniker. 

/rant

Why not call it uptown? Other cities are doing this. Seriously though something more inventive would be nice. That's right uptown is being used for Bonney Road urban construction. 

Edited by urbanvb

I never liked the name Town Center to begin with. A bit too hokey and podunk for my taste :lol: . It made us sound like we were some small village. All that said however, the name stuck and that's what people know it as now so no use changing it. As the property around it grows up however it does make sense to come up with a different name that encompasses the entire area. It may seem like a trivial matter to some, but branding is important. When someone talks to me about going to "Uptown Charlotte", the destination sounds funky and hip. It sounds like a place I want to be. Town Center...not so much. We have a problem with branding in general in this area. "Hampton Roads" doesn't exactly scream major metropolis. The most successful branding I've seen in this area thus far is the NEON/Arts district, Alchemy NFK, etc. I think they're really on to something with that. I'm hoping that Virginia Beach will start to put forth a similar effort.

Town Center is kinda generic, and honestly doesn't fit that well since the city wants to make it a true business district encompassing other parts of the Pembroke area. I like the name Uptown or Midtown, considering it is in the middle of VB and has that upscale name the city want. Anytime Mayor Sessoms calls it "Downtown Virginia Beach", I chuckle to myself because I think he's trying to force that moniker just like "Coastal Virginia".

Up/Midtown Virginia Beach, within the Norfolk/Virginia Beach (or vice versa) region works perfectly for me. You could informally call it Pembroke...