Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

Firefighters have raised this issue when Westin was still in design phase. I'm sure that Norfolk firefighters complain too about the high-rises. Even new skyscrapers here in downtown L.A. have fire officials up in arms. If properly built with good fire suppression systems, high-rises should be structurally safe. Although people may die in an inferno because they are too high to be rescued, which is the big concern of firefighters, that is the price of upward movement. The second tallest building in downtown L.A. suffered a massive fire almost 20 years ago. Several people lost their lives but despite the worst fears of building collapse, the structure still stands. Anyway, I think all this posturing is to force the city to require that the best fire suppression systems be used in new high-rise construciton.

If my memory serves me correct that is a tiny firehouse and space. I doubt they would even be able to build anything large enough on that space to accomodate a ladder truck that large but I could be wrong. I have never seen the back of the building but I am thinking it still is a small lot.

Welcome aboard Laughoutloud! I'd prefer that they redo the Thalia station kind of like they did the 3rd precinct/Bayside library site. I just don't know if they have the space to upgrade that property. Maybe the city could buy up that empty parcel where KFC used to sit at Jerico and Indy. That's been sitting vacant for years.

I prefer the "Twin Cities" thing that we have going on here. In many areas you have one DT and that's it. Here we will have a DT and then TC. I envision one day of being able to take visitors to the Ocean Front, then TC, and then when they think that the've seen everything that this area has to offer, we then go to DT.

I prefer the "Twin Cities" thing that we have going on here. In many areas you have one DT and that's it. Here we will have a DT and then TC. I envision one day of being able to take visitors to the Ocean Front, then TC, and then when they think that the've seen everything that this area has to offer, we then go to DT.

and don't forget the Pennisula! Yeah I know what you mean.

Looking at the photos of the Westin site, one thing pops into my mind...that is that the Beacon building does not fit in whatsoever :sick: I hope that they can come up with a contract/offer that gets this eyesore out of there. The Pilot claims that their upgrades in the mid 90's brought it up to speed...yeah right, it still looks like garbage to me. We do not need this sitting right next to the PAC. Maybe that's what the Pilot is waiting for, more money that they know the developer will give them just to get rid of the complex.

There's also the Taco Bell. Right now, there's no reaosn for either to sell. I wouldn't. There are two yet to built parcels at TC. There are several more developments in the planning or design/bid phases in and around Pembroke. And who knows what's in store with FX, Pembroke Mall, POP (I'll let people figure that one out), K-mart, BB&B, etc. Land values may have soared in the past few years in Pembroke, but that's like everywhere else. Wait another decade and see what land goes for there, Downtown, Oyster Point, etc. I'm sure both the Beacon and Taco Bell would be fine with leasing the land for development as long as they got free rent in whatever is built there.