Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gs3

Greenville and the Creative Class

17 posts in this topic

That's one excellent article, gsupstate!

I fit into that creative class. I suspect just about everybody here on U.P. does to one extent or another! :lol: No-collar workers of the world, unite!

Great article gsupstate. :thumbsup:

I can understand why Greenville would be mentioned in this article with the number of architectural & engineering firms, the development of the West End as an arts center, as well as many other "creative" factors.

I would consider myself to be a part of the creative class as well.

I hate to break it to you, but Florida's theories on the "Creative Class" have been debunked as nonsense. It's too bad the idiot media has not figured it out yet and still persist at thinking the great places are those where drag queens and super yuppies sip frappachinos in starbucks.

If you are interested in more I recommend searching on these items here at UrbanPlanet as it has been discussed in other forums.

I hate to break it to you, but Florida's theories on the "Creative Class" have been debunked as nonsense.

The article actually cited this, in fact, so you're not breaking anything to us that we didn't already read. :lol:

I'll take the acknowledgement of Greenville's creative class along with these cities any day. I really like the mention of the Peace Center and Bi-Lo Center. The Peace Center is known Worldwide as being one of the most accoustically perfect venues anywhere. :shades:

The Peace Center is known Worldwide as being one of the most accoustically perfect venues anywhere. :shades:

I did not know that! I knew that it was extremely nice and that a lot of people like the venue. But that's really awesome, i must say! :thumbsup:

I am not sure that I would brag about being compared to San Fransisco.

I understand where you're coming from, btoy, but I hardly think people will get the impression that Greenville has reached that level in this comparison. ;)

I am not sure that I would brag about being compared to San Fransisco.

Context is important! :thumbsup:

Context is important! :thumbsup:

Good point, If the comparison had to do with the beauty of the city it would be bad. If we were compared to San Fran becuase of similar levels of homeless that would be bad.

What's really odd about the homlessness in the Bay Area is that there are people in the San Francisco / San Jose area that make upwards of $70K per year that are homeless. What's up with that? Is the cost of housing in the area really that bad? :dontknow:

The cost of living pretty high in all of California's big cities. I was in Los Angeles with a friend while he was moving into his new apartment, which was ~$800/month for a one bedroom, and it wasn't anywhere near being a new apartment building and certainly not close to downtown.

One of my good friends lives in Los Angeles, and he has told me that it's difficult to purchase a house there for less than $400,000, even in the rougher areas. I find that hard to believe, especially for a house in South Central Los Angeles, but regardless the cost of living is high.

Good point, If the comparison had to do with the beauty of the city it would be bad. If we were compared to San Fran becuase of similar levels of homeless that would be bad.

I have seen beautiful parts of San Fran. Was it your intention to negatively reply on the "beauty of the city" comparison? Most important, I suppose, is the comparison which this writer made concerning the improving creative class in these cities.

We're pretty lucky here guys....we've got a beautiful city, growing city, the creative class and a low cost of living! :thumbsup: California's cost of living has simply gotten out of control....it's not worth it to live there and be house poor.

Many of the shows on HGTV are based in Cali. There is one show, I think its "Designed to Sell" which gives comps of the home being sold. A 2-bedroom house on a postage stamp lot would go for $500k-$700k. Here in Greenville, I couldn't see it going for more than $80k-$100k.

Amazing! :shok: