GSA/Federal Courts Expansion issue

vdogg

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...........he then asked if there were any reporters in the room.
Never let the people that employ you know what is going on until you feel the time is right. :rolleyes:

The vertical reference was for the inner courtyard area which apparently is big enough to do what is needed.

That is very interesting, I wonder how much taller the expansion will be than the current structure? Also, I would imagine the design and engineering costs will increase dramatically over the original estimate.

Never let the people that employ you know what is going on until you feel the time is right. :rolleyes:

That is very interesting, I wonder how much taller the expansion will be than the current structure? Also, I would imagine the design and engineering costs will increase dramatically over the original estimate.

I imagine any extra costs could be offset by not having to acquire Baxter's Sports Bar and 20+ condo's at 500 Granby.

Of course, I am sure the GSA could still find a way to screw up what seems to be the perfect solution.

At tonight's meeting of the Freemason Street Area Association, I asked Mayer Fraim for an update on the cities position regarding the Federal courthouse expansion. He started off by reviewing the Granby Tower issue and how it was pretty certain that expanding west was not going to happen. He then went on to talk about how frustrating it has been dealing with the GSA over the years, and how on several occasions over the last several years they have said a decision was going to be made in 60 days. He's still waiting, but, and this is a big BUT...........he then asked if there were any reporters in the room. When no one was so identified, he said that new architects with expertise in designing expansions/additions that go vertical were on the job and he was hearing that this was the direction they were now favoring. It had been given the blessing of the judges, which is apparently important. So, either this is true or he at least felt comfortable in putting this out there to help start a little drumbeat going for very serious consideration of vertical expansion of the federal courthouse.

That's pretty interesting. I think someone in this thread or another thread suggested going vertical from the courtyard. I never really knew how feasible that would be but it sounds like they're finally trying to think outside the box.

That's pretty interesting. I think someone in this thread or another thread suggested going vertical from the courtyard. I never really knew how feasible that would be but it sounds like they're finally trying to think outsidie the box.

I know going vertical was suggested by one of the speakers at the last public hearing but the GSA gave no indication at that time how they felt about it, and if I remember correctly questioned how feasible it would be to continue operations while such an expansion of the inner courtyard was underway. It just sounds like they finally may have seen the lightbulb go off and realized they could be the hero's by saying they listened to the people, came up with an innovative solution, and don't need to disrupt any parcel of land in any direction near the courthouse. I just think this has the potential to be a big success story if the fed's can produce a stylish addition to that inner courtyard that goes up, up, up, add more jobs to the courthouse, the condo residents keep their homes, Baxter's continue to add to the offerings downtown on Granby, and all the negative publicity about this deal turns around into a positive.

This has great potential as a solution. Going vertical could compliment and even improve the appearance of the existing structure. Some of the newer federal courthouse projects don't appear too far off in character from our old one, and that's a very large footprint to work with. I'm really encouraged by this development, although I know that some preservationist purists will have some legitimate concerns.

Interesting. Would an inner-courtyard structure just be a tower filling that space? What about the strip of land between Brambleton and the Courthouse? Is that an open plaza? Can't really tell from Google. Couldn't a tower be built there?

Interesting. What about the strip of land between Brambleton and the Courthouse? Is that an open plaza? Can't really tell from Google. Couldn't a tower be built there?

That's a parking lot and it is only half the width of the lot that Trader is being built on.

I've been seeing a lot of bids for the Scope to upgrade or fix this-n-that. It just seems like the city is dumping money into something that is waaaay past its prime. The Scope is an embarrassment to the entire region. For Gods sake Greensboro has a much larger and nicer arena than we do. It's time Norfolk focuses on the replacement of this eyesore.

How come Norfolk and the GSA don't listen to us? The GSA takes Scope & Chrysler Hall, both dumps. Norfolk gets the old Fed Courts for use as the new Kirn Library. A new arena goes up on that parking lot/garage on Monticello across from MacArthur. And finally, a new Chrysler Hall goes up on the Greyhound site to form a more cohesive arts district with Chrysler Museum and Harrison Opera House.

How come Norfolk and the GSA don't listen to us? The GSA takes Scope & Chrysler Hall, both dumps. Norfolk gets the old Fed Courts for use as the new Kirn Library. A new arena goes up on that parking lot/garage on Monticello across from MacArthur. And finally, a new Chrysler Hall goes up on the Greyhound site to form a more cohesive arts district with Chrysler Museum and Harrison Opera House.

That just makes to much sense, we can't do that.

One of the better ideas I have read here in awhile. Makes too much sense so I doubt it happens.

Looking at that area on google, I could see them using both the courtyard and the parking lot on their north side for a tower. The north part of the building would become more of an interior as the tower simply stretches over it. With the right architect, this could look really amazing and breathtaking, as well as further expand the mid town skyline into something that could one day be the main focus of the Norfolk skyline...........or I am just dreaming too much and GSA is currently planning how they could destry this idea too.

...or I am just dreaming too much and GSA is currently planning how they could destry this idea too.

It now appears obvious the motive behind the GSA's decisions: jealousy. HR is supposed to be a government area. However, now the economy is diversifying beyond the government jobs with more corporate and shipping presence in the area. Someone has to put a stop to this insanity. Thankfully the GSA has stepped up to put HR back in its place.

• 5 weeks later...

Wasn't there a GSA meeting that was supposed to have been held this month already (with their final decision announced)? Has anyone heard any new news on this?

I haven't heard anything. The media around here only know how to report on someone getting shot or robbed.

A "Draft Environmental Assessment for the Proposed Hoffman Courthouse Annex, Norfolk VA" has been posted on the GSA website.

The link should take you there:

GSA Report-April 21, 2006

I have not read it yet. I did notice, however, that a new "Tower Annex" is among the options assessed.

Following is the email notification put out by the GSA Project Mananger John Morrell regarding this draft:

On April 21, 2006, the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) will release a draft of the Environmental Assessment (EA) Study, which assesses the social, economic and environmental impacts of developing the proposed annex to the Walter E. Hoffman U.S. Courthouse in Norfolk, Virginia. The study was prepared in compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).

The draft EA objectively evaluates the impacts and benefits of the five sites under consideration. These sites include the Southern Annex, Western Annex, Northern Annex, Eastern Annex, and Tower Annex. The Tower Annex site is a new alternative that was identified during the January 2006 scoping meeting. The study's findings are not indicative of a preference for any of the five sites, nor do they denote in any way the relative viability of any one site over others.

Copies of the draft Environmental Assessment are available for public review beginning April 21, 2006 and extending through May 22, 2006 at the following locations:

Kirn Public Library

301 East City Hall Avenue

Norfolk, VA 23510

The draft EA is also available on our website by typing www.gsa.gov/r3projects in your web browser to view the document. You may also access the document from the GSA website. The step-by-step click through for this page is www.gsa.gov-->GSA Regions-->Mid-Atlantic (3)-->News & Notices-->Regional Projects.

Agencies and the public may provide written comments regarding the draft EA and NEPA process. Written comments must be postmarked no later than May 22, 2006, and sent to the following address:

U.S. General Services Administration, Mid-Atlantic Region

Attention: John Morrell, Project Manager

20 N. 8th Street, 9th Floor

Philadelphia, PA 19107-3191

or

[email protected]

For further information, please contact GSA at (215) 446-4614.

The completion of the draft EA is a step forward in the required process of selecting a final site for the proposed U.S. Courthouse Annex. We continue to look forward to working with you to select the best of the viable sites in the City of Norfolk and thank you for your continued cooperation with this process.

Sincerely,

John A. Morrell

Project Manager

GSA Mid-Atlantic Region

Public Buildings Service

Archived