Louisville and Columbus  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Louisville and Columbus

• Louisville
    • Columbus

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think its really a comparison at all. Columbus is MUCH more well known. With nationwide insurance, wendys, limited brands, ohio state university, and a few banks being located there. Also the memorial tournament (major golf tournament) takes place there. From living in columbus i saw firsthand the citys inferiority complex. Being the largest city in ohio , columbus is always outshadowed by its neighbor to the north and south (cleveland and cincinatti) , but occasionally columbus does pop up in the spotlight. Louisville however, no comment. :lol:

Columbus for me. The city has a beautiful inner city and some great self supporting real urban neighborhoods. These places I have found to be alive, liberal, and open minded. Some really nice old parks are there and being gay makes Columbus a Midwestern paradise. The entire center city area is open minded. Gay pride in Columbus gets over 100,000 people. Louisville can't really match this.

Columbus' arts district, the Short North, is one of the largest between NY and Chicago. The city is great for someone like me who works in retail and has the Limited corporation and all of its stores (NY and Company, Express, Limited, Bath and body works) also abercombie, Rheul, Hollister, and Limited Too are based in Columbus.

For music and bands.. Columbus gets way more national acts (theater, contemporary arts, music, bands etc). Columbus has a great alternative music scene. I know Louisville has one too but come on having one of the largest universities in the country in your city has a major effect. Columbus has about 50 something theater companies LOCALLY based in the city. Columbus has a theater Fringe festival and sometimes hosts the Gay and Lesbian Theater festival. Also for independent movies Columbus has 5 movies theater complex's, that show just independent movies, in or around its downtown area.

Columbus has the Wexner Center for Contemporary Arts. An outstanding space for all modern art. This facility attracts exhibits, films, and performances that are only seen in very few places in the world.

The idea of a monthly "gallery hop" started in Columbus; which I have seen Louisville has now coined as well. Columbus already has a more active and interesting central urban core. Louisville has the 4th street live but Columbus doesn't need that in its downtown because all of the things that one can find in 4th street exist in Columbus but in more urban locations. There's urban commercial strips of bars, restaurants, retail shops in the Short North, German Village, Victorian Village, Clintonville, Brewery District, and the University District that go on and on. I would take these any day over what I see in Louisville. One of the nicest and largest major convention centers, multiple entertainment districts, downtown stadiums, healthy adjacent neighborhoods, a soon to be rehabbed downtown mall, and the plus of having almost ever major retailer in the many new towne centers/malls developed in the newer areas of Columbus is always a plus. Yes, Louisville also has some nice older neighborhoods but nothing you cannot find in Columbus.

I dont think its really a comparison at all. Columbus is MUCH more well known. With nationwide insurance, wendys, limited brands, ohio state university, and a few banks being located there. Also the memorial tournament (major golf tournament) takes place there. From living in columbus i saw firsthand the citys inferiority complex. Being the largest city in ohio , columbus is always outshadowed by its neighbor to the north and south (cleveland and cincinatti) , but occasionally columbus does pop up in the spotlight. Louisville however, no comment. :lol:

When did Columbus become Ohio's largest city? :huh: As far as national reputation, which is how the thread was started, it would have to go to Louisville. As monsoon mentioned, the Kentucky Derby, and Louisville Slugger comes to mind. Most people in the U.S. don't have a clue that Columbus is home to the things mentioned (although commendable).

I don't know much about Columbus OH, but will be attending a conference in March. Otherwise I would think of Louisville first - due to it's culture - historically large city, the neighborhoods, Olmstead parks, that whole horse thing, & the 80's/90's music scene. But then I didn't realize some of those companies were based in Columbus OH, so that would provide the city certain prestige.

When did Columbus become Ohio's largest city? :huh: As far as national reputation, which is how the thread was started, it would have to go to Louisville. As monsoon mentioned, the Kentucky Derby, and Louisville Slugger comes to mind. Most people in the U.S. don't have a clue that Columbus is home to the things mentioned (although commendable).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Columbus

and :rofl: @ the mention of the kentucky derby and lousville slugger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Columbus

and :rofl: @ the mention of the kentucky derby and lousville slugger.

How can you laugh at the KY Derby? Its just a horse race yes, but it brings the city national celebrities and national attention. You may laugh but how many times have Jessica Simpson filmed a show in Columbus? The Derby Festival also boats the nations largest fireworks show in terms of shell count (yes larger than the one in New York) and draws nearly 800,000 spectators each year. Louisville also hosts the nation's number one ranked art show, the St James Court art fair in the Old Louisville neighborhood, located on the site of the former Southern Exposition where Edison introduced his light bulb. The district is home to the largest collection of Victorian Mansions in the counrty, and it is the nation's third largest preseveration district.

You want to talk Wendy's? Louisville is home to Papa John's, Texas Roadhouse, and Tumblewed headquarters, and I believe Rally's (or used to be). Louisville is certainly not lacking in corporate clout as it is home to Fortune 200 Humana, a health insurer with a signature scraper and is as big as any company in Columbus. This doesnt include Kindred Healthcare, and Yum Brands, owners of KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Long John Silvers and A&W. Both are Fortune 500 companies. LG&E, the local and regional energy corporation, also boats its own downtown tower and headquarters and has been in and out of the Forune 500. Louisville is home to UPS air headquarters and much much more. Because of UPS and a growing number of residents moving into the city, it boasts one of the top restuarant scenes in the Southeast. Chef Cathy Cary of Lilly's in the eclectic Highlands neighborhood is usually represents the Southeast at the James Beard house in New York, the most prestigious place for a chef.

Nobody outside of the midwest knows anything about Columbus. Sorry. And who uses city populations anymore. Metro wise, Columbus is third in the State. I thought this forum frowned on city vs. city stuff anyway.

I created this thread WITHOUT a poll. I am not sure who added that but it was not my intent. My intent is to talk about IMO two cities that are very cosmopolitan, but both fly under the national radar. Keeping that in my mind, I wondered if more knew of Louisville or Columbus. I don't think residents from either city could go to California and say, I am from Columbus or Louisville without including the state. And that is all I want opinions on. I do think that Louisville is a little more well known simply for some of the bigger events it hosts like Derby, Breeder's Cup, and the PGA Championship at the well know Valhalla golf club.

So far the consensus is at least north/midwesterners view Columbus OH as a more well known city & southerners view Louisville as a more well known city.

Columbus is also where Xerox technology was invented and many other tech companies exist, now a new company Hexion which has formed out of Borden (Borden is also based in Columbus.) Yes fast food companies are based there like Wendy

Some of the urban neighborhoods surrounding downtown are beautiful and just on the verge of even showing their true potential. The most notable are the neighborhoods which have self supporting commercial districts and show the signs of true self-sufficient localized neighborhood economies.

exactly :thumbsup: as soon as you mentioned this i thought of : bexley, the short north, clintonville, german village, east village etc.

exactly :thumbsup: as soon as you mentioned this i thought of : bexley, the short north, clintonville, german village, east village etc.

ALong with those neigborhoods in Columbus, lets not forget that Columbus has a professional NHL team. Louisville doesn't. With how big the NHL is in Canada this has to give Columbus a bigger name in Canada. Columbus has the hockey/AFL/concert stadium (Nationwide Arena) in its downtown and is building a new baseball stadium downtown. Columbus also has the larger state university (one of the largest in the US) Ohio State University. And Columbus is the birthplace of the USA's professional Soccer League, the MLS, and a has the first North American soccer only stadium for its MLS team the Columbus Crew. This also gives Columbus international soccer games and some press here and there overseas and mexico etc.

ALong with those neigborhoods in Columbus, lets not forget that Columbus has a professional NHL team. Louisville doesn't. With how big the NHL is in Canada this has to give Columbus a bigger name in Canada. Columbus has the hockey/AFL/concert stadium (Nationwide Arena) in its downtown and is building a new baseball stadium downtown. Columbus also has the larger state university (one of the largest in the US) Ohio State University. And Columbus is the birthplace of the USA's professional Soccer League, the MLS, and a has the first North American soccer only stadium for its MLS team the Columbus Crew. This also gives Columbus international soccer games and some press here and there overseas and mexico etc.

Blah, the Louisville Cardinals and Rick Pitino are bigger than Columbus' NHL team. Anybody who knows sports knows Pitino and Louisville bball. The same cant be said for the NHL (outside Canada, MI, etc), and besides, Louisville's name shows up on ESPN/scoreboards just as much as Columbus' hockey team (its not like NHL is MLB or even NBA!)

True, arguably OSU football is more well known than Louisville bball, BUT, OSU doesnt have the city in its name. Not many outside the Midwest would know or even think about where OSU is. So it therefore doesnt bring Columbus as much recognition (nationally) as Louisville having major college bball (and now football) athletics named after its city. Afterall, most state schools like that are in small towns (Ann Arbor, Champaign, Bloomington, etc).

For the record, Louisville is building a new downtown, 350 million state of the art arena that will inlude a high rise hotel and condo tower and several restuarants, along with 80 luxury suites.

I just got back from Miami and took a direct flight on American Eagle. I found it funny that the flight board said simply "Louisville" while right below that entry at my AE gate was "Columbus, OH." They inluded the state name for Columbus...just an interesting observation.

I think the polls prove this thing is pretty equal, and if anything, the two cities are well known

inside their regions (South vs North).

I just got back from Miami and took a direct flight on American Eagle. I found it funny that the flight board said simply "Louisville" while right below that entry at my AE gate was "Columbus, OH." They inluded the state name for Columbus...just an interesting observation.

I think the polls prove this thing is pretty equal, and if anything, the two cities are well known

I don't think that too many people are going to fly to Louisville, TN or Louisville, MS from Miami; but they might be flying to Columbus, GA.

I would say that they are pretty equal.

Blah, the Louisville Cardinals and Rick Pitino are bigger than Columbus' NHL team. Anybody who knows sports knows Pitino and Louisville bball. The same cant be said for the NHL (outside Canada, MI, etc), and besides, Louisville's name shows up on ESPN/scoreboards just as much as Columbus' hockey team (its not like NHL is MLB or even NBA!)

True, arguably OSU football is more well known than Louisville bball, BUT, OSU doesnt have the city in its name. Not many outside the Midwest would know or even think about where OSU is. So it therefore doesnt bring Columbus as much recognition (nationally) as Louisville having major college bball (and now football) athletics named after its city. Afterall, most state schools like that are in small towns (Ann Arbor, Champaign, Bloomington, etc).

For the record, Louisville is building a new downtown, 350 million state of the art arena that will inlude a high rise hotel and condo tower and several restuarants, along with 80 luxury suites.

Some corections to your post.

1. Louisville BB is big in Louisville. It is still second best to UK in Kentucky hands down.

2. The Columbus Blue Jackets continually sell out the arena up there despite being one of the worst teams in the league. Popularity is actually in the eye of the beholder I guess, but the Blue Jackets aren't unknown. I would say they are better followed than UofL basketball. Regardless of whether God himself is the coach of the Cards.

3. The NHL has seen an upswing in intrest and attendance this year across the boards. You might want to make sure what you are saying is fact rather than opinon made to sound like fact. No, it's not the MLB or the NBA, but it is positioned to be one of the fastest growing leagues in the nation while the other two mentioned are in decline attendance wise, quality wise, and popularity across the boards. Will we see a change of guards among major league sports in America? Not in my lifetime, but you will see hockey emerge from its slumber among pro sports. Mark my words on that.

4. Louisville IS NOT BUILDING, but planning an arena downtown. It still hasn't broke ground or even gotten approval yet.

Some corections to your post.

1. Louisville BB is big in Louisville. It is still second best to UK in Kentucky hands down.

2. The Columbus Blue Jackets continually sell out the arena up there despite being one of the worst teams in the league. Popularity is actually in the eye of the beholder I guess, but the Blue Jackets aren't unknown. I would say they are better followed than UofL basketball. Regardless of whether God himself is the coach of the Cards.

I have two comments about the corrections:

1. Louisville B-Ball is certainly bigger in Kentucky this year. Unless it is being outpaced by the Kill Tubby Movement.

2. Who or what are the Columbus Blue Jackets? Don't mean to sound stupid, but what do they even play?

I have two comments about the corrections:

1. Louisville B-Ball is certainly bigger in Kentucky this year. Unless it is being outpaced by the Kill Tubby Movement.

2. Who or what are the Columbus Blue Jackets? Don't mean to sound stupid, but what do they even play?

To reply to your post:

100 years of traditon and seven National Championships will never take second seat to a coach with a big name and a couple of good years with the "other" team down I-64 in Louisville. LOL!! The state of Kentucky still bleeds blue regardless of what happens this year, end of discussion. To the majority of Kentucky residents, UofL is still "Little Brother" to UK.

The Blue Jackets are the NHL team in Columbus. The Columbus Blue Jackets in Nationwide arena are one of the best attended teams in the league. It's out there on the web, tv, and live and in person. Us Americans are soooo closed minded about sports, LOL!

I assume we are talking about Columbus, Oh and not Columbus Ga? Many people in the South would not automatically assume the one in Ohio. However everyone knows about Louisville mainly because of the very unique and well known Kentucky derby.

True but there is also Louisville, GA which used to be the state capital. It's pronounced different but spelled the same.

Both cities still need the state listed after them to recognize them.

True but there is also Louisville, GA which used to be the state capital. It's pronounced different but spelled the same.

Both cities still need the state listed after them to recognize them.

I somewhat agree with that, although I think Louisville's name gets out more with the Derby. You will never see Columbus on Newlyweds with Jessica Simpson or on the Anna Nicole Smith show. This isnt really a huge deal, but sadly this is what most Americans watch and how they know cities. Just look at what Real World has done in turning Austin into a name brand. I would say both cities need their states behind them for recognition, but a few more people have at least heard the name Louisville due to "Louisville Slugger" Louisville Cardinals Sports, and the KY Derby (and this depends on whether they know the Derby is in Louisville which some do not). But anyone wathing E or Extra or Jessica Simpson or many other shows in May will see Louisville in the national spotlight. Columbus never sees this.

Sports are another factor in city recognition for the common man (non urban planet forumer), and you will never prove to me the NHL has more fans than Div 1 College Basketball. The sheer fact that there over 100 teams in college bball proves this. Where did I say Louisville bball was bigger in KY than UK, Lexy? I DID say that Louisville and its program give the city national name recognition, probably more than OSU does for Columbus since not every knows where OSU is. The team name of "louisville" is also the city name.

Archived