Louisville and Columbus

ppassafi

Louisville and Columbus  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Louisville and Columbus

• Louisville
    • Columbus

No big deal really. I never stated the NHL had more fans than D1 NCAA Basketball. But I bet the argument could made however about that when you consider the entire country to the north of here. Not many BBall fans up there I can tell ya. Nevertheless. NHL IS a pro sport and is followed quite well regardless of the spin ESPN puts on it (or any other US media outlet for that matter). There is a small group of broadcasters in the US that really resent the NHL. That fact has become more apparent since the lockout. The most obvious is ESPN and their President of Operations. The others would be various sports writers for both print and tv/radio media throughout the country. It is their 'redneck' agenda that gets in the way of clear, rational thought many times. If you have never been to an NHL game, then how can you honestly judge an entire sport?? You can't. Many, on the otherhand, try to classify it based on their opinions. I'll tell ya though. There isn't a tougher sport out there in the pros. 82 games and 60 minutes of skating, hitting, and sometimes fighting just sets it above the rest. Sorry for the rant. LOL!!!! Carry on.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have to say Louisville is more known than Columbus.

When I think of Louisville I think of:

UPS,Papa Johns Pizza, Louisville Slugger, Churchill Downs/Ky Derby, Muhammed Ali, Freedom Hall, Yum Brands (KFC), advanced medicine (worlds first artificial heart and hand transplants) ect.

Don't get me wrong, I think Columbus is a beautiful city with a wonderful skyline but I hear Dayton, Cincinnati, and Cleveland mentioned alot more than Columbus.

LouisvilleKYpic.jpg

Louisville I think is more a nationally recognized and prominent a city by a good margin, esp. with the common joe. Now in the Midwest, in particular the states that border Ohio, Columbus is probably much more recognized and thought of in similar terms as Louisville and Indianapolis, but in other parts of the nation I just don't think the name ID and appropriate size association is given to Columbus yet compared to its better known peers.

Considering it took me a while to figure out what state Louisville was even in, I would say Columbus. I read an article that read Louisville will have a problem growing because they lack the diversity of places like Columbus. Cbus is also more likely to be more internationally known because of thier world cup soccer team. The problem with Columbus is that Ohio has so many known cities and they can get lost in the mix.

As for the KY Derby, you would be surprised at how many people dont know it happens in Louisville.

^ The other problem with Columbus is that it cost my employer $500 for roundtrip tickets while Dayton OH was only $200.

Also, I don't think it's Louisville's fault that you didn't know it was in Kentucky - most people are very aware that it is in KY. Now for Columbus being ethnically diverse, I never heard of that, but perhaps I'll see it myself. Looking forward to checking out the city nonetheless...

^ The other problem with Columbus is that it cost my employer $500 for roundtrip tickets while Dayton OH was only $200.

Of course Dayton would cost less to fly into, trust me Columbus is well worth the extra 300 bucks. Columbus has attracted many immigrants. when compared to other cities in the region. The city has the nations second largest Solmali population, and now attracts the more immigrants per year than any other Ohio city. The immigrant wave has occured as the cities economy grew very fast through the 80s and 90s.

• 3 weeks later...

I know Louisville By:

1. The Derby ('nuff said)

2. The first artificial heart is a huge undertaking (and i did know that it was in louisville)

3. Ali

4. Louisville slugger

-But i have never considered kentucky in the south (thus louisville is the southernmost northern city)

-I know Columbus by:

1. Ohio State (not just OSU, cause that could mean a number of schools e.g. Ok State, Ore State)

2. The Horseshoe Stadium (again associated with ohio state)

-Other than that though, i don't hear much/think much of columbus. And by the way, columbus is nowhere near the size of cleveland and cincinnatti. City populations don't mean a thing. The same thing applies to Charlotte's population vs. Atlanta's.

Final Tidbits-

-When i hear columbus, i think GA (like in Tommy Boy :) )

-Wendy's was founded in Dublin, not columbus (if i remember Dave Thomas' commercials correctly)

-The NHL can be interesting, but i don't think that it'll ever be a "big sport" across the country (certainly not on the level as NCAA basketball)

-I have heard of the Bluecoats once before, but always have to think twice of where they are when i see scores on tv and such.

-MLS? Sorry, i am under the firm impression that soccer was for "3rd world countries and communists". Soccer is a kid's sport, destined for the local park on saturday mornings. That being said, the only MLS team i have ever heard of is DC united.

- I have nothing against columbus (and i am sure it's a fine city), but like other people said.....it's not on the same level as louisville in name recognition.

• 1 month later...

Bringing back an old topic, but after having visited Columbus OH I would place my vote as undecided. I love Louisville, but I now love Columbus' downtown / near downtown (North High). Highly underrated downtown, very attractive, very clean (puts a lot of sunbelt downtowns to shame) & a varied architectual selection of buildings.

Well, I think the question was about which city is more well known. To me that would be Columbus, I didn't know there was one in GA, maybe because I was brought up in NYC. I don't know why people have to write back and forth why their choice of city should win, it was a question of whether one city or the other is more known to you, not why your city should be chosen by everyone else. I'm not much into sports, but I've heard of the Kentucky Derby, and then, I think of Kentucky, not Louisville.

• 2 months later...

I think Louisville is more well known city overall. Though Columbus is slightly more populated right now...But that will change in the next 15 years with the construction of the new downtown arena and 61 story skyscraper. Louisville has grown alot throughout the last 10 years and it will only continue. The new museum plaza being built will also be awesome.

Never been to Louisville but I would say that it is the more well known of the two cities. I have been to Columbus...both OH and GA incidentally...and it was cool enough. I didn't spend much time there as we were simply driving through on the way to Pitt. Columbus GA doesn't compare favorably to either one unless you're looking for Army Rangers.

It sounds to me like Louisville is more well known, but Columbus is more under-appreciated. Honestly, I am impressed with everything going on in Columbus, it is a downright shame how little recognition it gets. They really should be pretty equal in stature. I know Louisville personally b/c of its rivalries with Memphis.

Archived