Superbowl Bus Routes?

haydenth

Does anyone know what is going to happen to bus routes during the Superbowl? I (and about 15 of my friends) want to get from my apartment in midtown to downtown on Superbowl Sunday and back to midtown around 2:30am after boozing it up. Do you think the bus lines are going to be running in full? I presume DDOT busses serve the line down Woodward, but I'm not sure, I don't ride the bus typically, and their website is confusing. I imagine that traffic on Sunday is going to be a mess and cabs are going to be virtually impossible to come by.

Anyone?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to DDOT's website doesn't really help...it sends me to the Super Bowl website for more info. But the Super Bowl website tells me to go to DDOT's website for more info. Hmm....

Yeah, that's why I was pretty confused. I was hoping someone had some inside information on the bus routes, maybe I should ask on detroitYES. I could call, but the thought of being passed through an endless maze of apathetic customer service agents scares me.

I saw a presentation by Parsons Brinckerhoff at MSU last semester detailing the super bowl transportation plan (as well as the snow removal strategy!). They are going to have a few park and rides from the suburbs and possibly one from WSU. All of the bus routes are going to be re-routed along Cass Ave. downtown (winter blast will close of pretty much all of the downtown core. There are far more details but I cannot remember them at the moment.

I saw a presentation by Parsons Brinckerhoff at MSU last semester detailing the super bowl transportation plan (as well as the snow removal strategy!). They are going to have a few park and rides from the suburbs and possibly one from WSU. All of the bus routes are going to be re-routed along Cass Ave. downtown (winter blast will close of pretty much all of the downtown core. There are far more details but I cannot remember them at the moment.

I too heard that Cass was going to be a major bus route. My Detroit STAR organization is going to be volunteering with some of the hospitality downtown, and we were told there will be a park/ride free shuttle on the east side of town that will run everry 10-15 minutes to and from Cobo Hall. They originally told us it would be at the Budd Co. - Detroit Plant, but I will find out for sure this afternoon.

Does anyone know what time in the morning the park and ride shuttles begin? I don't see it mentioned in the article. Also will the normal bus schedule be interrupted (i.e. Tireman or Joy Road)? I just received a jury summons and I have to be at the Frank Murphy Hall of Justice at 7:45 AM on Jan. 31. I don't think I want to deal with driving downtown and parking during that week at all.

GCP to CMart is one thing, but GCP all the way north to Mack? How are people going to park in the new parking lot leftover from the demolished Motown headquarters buildings?

That's just on the game day and it'll be accessible via Henry st. I guess.

I was worried about the whole thing but it doesn't look so bad. Just need to stay off of Woodward between Congress and GCP for a few days. I'm actually kind of looking forward to it. It's going to be neat to have so much activity going on in the downtown - during winter even!. :)

I'm guessing that they'll have to do something about those who park at the LoMR structure on Grand River, though.

I personally think that all the improvements downtown are worth being inconveinenced for one week out of the year. I really dont wanna hear anybody complaining because this event has done so much for the city.

You make a good point. Thanks for putting it in perspective for everyone. I think it'll be worth it.

Archived