River Market vs Beale Street

skirby

What do you like or dislike about the two areas. In someways they are alike but they also have their differences. What would like to see?

Beale Street during the day can be dead where as the River Market, due to it's mix, always has people doing something. Look at the difference on Saturday mornings when the Farmers Market in open in the River Market.

Beale Street at night has more of an open moving party feel to me. Maybe this is due to a number of the bars being open to the outside.

Beale has had more time to develop. It has had a long history. The River Market becomes 10 years old this year.

I would like the River Market develop more ways to use their Pavilions year round including nights. Also, they could increase the use of the Amphitheatre. Build a nice trolley stop for the area.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure that's a good comparison. Maybe a better one would be vs Bricktown in OKC, which honestly LR probably trails.

I think we need more numerous and diverse bars and restaurants in the area. As I said elsewhere, I think the library was a little too eager and tied up some great properties that could be used for other purposes.

The River Market is safer than Beale and though you may see a rare panhandler you don't get ambushed by them the way you do on Beale or in the French Quarter, so that's a good thing.

Archived