Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSP Tiger

GA-72

Since this is one of those projects that is intended to spur econmic development more so than a remedy for busy auto traffic, I would want to see some examples of similar projects that have been successful--particularly roads that were built in regions without much promise for immediate growth. I'm not knocking that region of GA by any means, but it is quite rural w/o a lot of traffic concerns.

Additionally, Georgia has the habit of building 4 lane roads that are NOT limited access. Hence, they tend to be rather dangerous high speed roads with many rural highways (with elderly or less savvy drivers) crossing them with "at grade" intersections that can be quite dangerous. When development does come to these roads, every intersection ends up with a traffic light and these roads become anything but a fast means of travel, see GA 316 for an example of that.

I like GA's solution to rural highways and the irritating problem of getting stuck behing slow-pokes. Every few miles (maybe 15-20) they have a 3 lane section of road that gives one direction an additional lane for a few miles then the other lane so that you can pass cars (or tractors) Its a much better solution than carving a 4 lane divided highway through the landscape. Probably mucheaper too.