1 Beale gets tax break

TennBear

The CA reported today that 1 Beale recieved a tax break for 20 years versus the normal 15 years. Saving the owner, Gene Carlisle, approximately $13 million over the life of the tax break. It further mentioned that the project is expected to take 24 months to build with construction starting in early 2007.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great news! I like how this design looks and it should fit in wel to the master plan of the riverfront. I don't think a lot of people realize exactly where this building will be. I would say that most people unfamiliar with the area assume that it is in the heart of Beale Street but it isn't - which I think will give it a greater impact on our skyline.

That's great news! I like how this design looks and it should fit in wel to the master plan of the riverfront. I don't think a lot of people realize exactly where this building will be. I would say that most people unfamiliar with the area assume that it is in the heart of Beale Street but it isn't - which I think will give it a greater impact on our skyline.

I think that the address #1 Beale St. says it all. It is right on the river and will make a strong starting point for Beale St. For those who don't know, the 300-400s is where the entertainment area is on Beale.

Who do you guys think will be the hotel operator? The announcement is in a couple of weeks.

Downtown has too many Marriotts. Carlisle said that its going to be a high end hotel, so I'm hoping a Ritz-Carlton since there isn't one in the state. A W Hotel would be nice too.

I don't think Ritz is ready to come to Memphis just yet. I could see something like a Renaissance, Omni or MAYBE and Intercontinental. Marriott has made big strides to be in Memphis and I would guess that is because Hilton has a corporate presence here. I look forward to seeing what is announced. A Hard Rock Hotel would be cool and ties in nicely with Memphis' musical heritage.

I second Sleepy's Four Seasons since the whole "quasi-boutique" hotel is not unusual for the Four Seasons line...look at Mandalay Bay in Vegas...the Four Seasons operated the top four floors of this hotel, so they could just as easily do something similar with One Beale. I seriously doubt it would be a Hilton or Marriott since both lines seem to be saturating the Memphis market with hotels...I'd say my guess would be Four Seasons for the above reasoning (I honestly don't know of another upscale hotel line to do something like that), W, or Hyatt.

maybe :)

Well, in any event, in the next couple of years, Memphis will be seeing 3 new downtown hotels--the Westin, the Embassy Suites, and the unknown 1 Beale.

And let's not forget the new Microtel. :P

If Bass adds a hotel to the Pyramid site, we could probably expect 200-300 rooms added to the downtown market...could be nice! A country inn on the river in downtown Memphis...pretty neat concept!

A couple of years ago, I think it was Kevin Kane who said the Pyramid could be turned into a hotel. The only problem was the lack of windows. He proposed something like flat screen TV's showing webcams from around town in every room. Im thinking the new hotel might be an addition to the outside of the Pyramid but Kanes idea was pretty creative (and expensive).

A couple of years ago, I think it was Kevin Kane who said the Pyramid could be turned into a hotel. The only problem was the lack of windows. He proposed something like flat screen TV's showing webcams from around town in every room. Im thinking the new hotel might be an addition to the outside of the Pyramid but Kanes idea was pretty creative (and expensive).

ya no kidding.

although. to convert the pyramid to contain windows doesnt seem that hard from an engineering standpoint

as long as you have the forces from the top converging down to the corners of the building. you should be able to replace the mirror exterieor with reflective glass on the outside and transparent on the inside.

Now i dont know much about the statics and dynamics of the load bearing on the Pyramid. but from an Engineering point. designing a pyramid with out much load bearing on the sides would be simple.

Archived