Riverfront Project

GRDadof3

I don't understand why the Press doesn't have links to the Region section :silly:

Exerpts from the article today:

"City commissioners decided Tuesday to test the waters to see if anyone is interested in buying 19 acres on the riverfront....."

"...Commercial real estate agent Ray Kisor said the parcel is large enough to attract attention from developers across the nation."

"The site really gives a developer the opportunity to put dimension into the plan, where it can have internal structure as well as a streetscape structure," he said

"Delong said they hope to model the process after the city's recent sale of the former City Centre site...."

"The decision to sell the city property is the brainchild of James White..."

Obviously there are concerns about Mark London's plans.

Here's a Regis image of the land I did a while back:

71951252_21435f00f2_o.jpg

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$$$$ Cha-Ching!! $$$$ :thumbsup:

Just check the ID of any buyers. Last thing we need is Azzar owning any more land in this state.

They should sell it the way they sold the fulton and division site. Make people tell the public what their plans are. I'd love to see an urban mall :good:

Hmm, hadn't thought of a stadium. Is that site wide enough? Gary, the article says they are looking at hiring a consultant and structuring it just like the sale of the City Centre site, which I would imagine would include a submittal of proposals and the city choosing the best option.

To me, the presence of the strip club could be diminished greatly by restricting signage, and maybe even where the entance would be. People who want to go there will find the door :rolleyes: Put the entrance off of Bartlett.

I just saw ballpark and thought about our discussions of a new football or baseball field downtown :blush: The size of this piece of property is immense for downtown. Check out the scale of it compared to the rest of downtown:

85309063_b2c9172909_o.jpg

It's way bigger than our coveted Market/Fulton wish list property, bigger than Vandenberg Plaza, bigger than GVSU's downtown campus, and it's on the river. Imagine what you could create right next to 131. $$$Chaching$$$ is right! Forget the strip club, any potential development would dwarf that place.

BTW: anyone can access these Regis aerials: http://ims.gvmc-regis.org:1052/website/public/ (click on parcel finder) It takes a long time to load on dial-up.

I just saw ballpark and thought about our discussions of a new football or baseball field downtown :blush: The size of this piece of property is immense for downtown. Check out the scale of it compared to the rest of downtown:

It's way bigger than our coveted Market/Fulton wish list property, bigger than Vandenberg Plaza, bigger than GVSU's downtown campus, and it's on the river. Imagine what you could create right next to 131. $$$Chaching$$$ is right! Forget the strip club, any potential development would dwarf that place.

BTW: anyone can access these Regis aerials: http://ims.gvmc-regis.org:1052/website/public/ (click on parcel finder) It takes a long time to load on dial-up.

I'm going with GaryP, that's a large enough space to do a pretty decent sized mixed use urban mall/movie theater/living arangement.. Granted, we want that behind the arena, but this may be an alternative, as it looks WAY bigger than even that area...

I could see maybe doing a residential mid-rise along the river, and keeping retail/entertainment out along Market for sure. Even though the view across the river is not dandy, that may change with Mr. KIA's place that he's working on :shades: The view looking North would be great. The rail bridge there might come in handy too :thumbsup:

I could see maybe doing a residential mid-rise along the river, and keeping retail/entertainment out along Market for sure. Even though the view across the river is not dandy, that may change with Mr. KIA's place that he's working on :shades: The view looking North would be great. The rail bridge there might come in handy too :thumbsup:

How big is that island? Foot bridge to it, small park on the island and connect on the other side big? I'm sure it get's flooded during high waters but..

FYI: I just checked and it's owned by the city.

I'd imagine we'll see things happening on the other side of the river in the next few years. We definately don't use it to our advantage right now. I know just down market there's some old crappy buildings on decent lots that butt up against the river (south of Wealthy).

My feeling is in a few years time, the businesses along there are going to be much like the farmers in Caledonia, sell thier prime real estate d/t and move out to the burbs someplace (or keep the main office d/t and the rest of the equipment). I would at least, no reason to have a "heavy moving" company right downtown really. :huh:

So what would the city do with the people who work there now? Isn't that where Northrup Grumman and all the other City of GR IT people work?

For $37-45 million.. they can find a new place for em.. :D

I'm sure they could move them to another city building, or lease space elsewhere. I think they have a lot of trucks there from time to time, so I'm not sure where they'd go with those :dontknow:

This might be a good spot for something like San Diego's Seaport Village, http://www.seaportvillage.com/, but with a Grand Rapids twist.

Possibly. Definitely boardwalks along the riverfront.

Haha! Look what comes up when I do a google.image search for "riverfront condominiums" on (link is page 2):

http://images.google.com/images?q=riverfro...=&start=20&sa=N

Archived