Riverfront Project

GRDadof3

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about diverting the river and creating some canals and then filling them in with Amsterdam inspired town homes for the residential portion of the project?

kloof.jpg

amsterdam-house_boat.jpg

120998_023.jpg

Then there could be a jetski/kayak rental place for tourists and locals who want to enjoy the river.

Now you're talkin! Shoot, since the city owns the island too, why not just go halfway out into the river with the development. A little mixture of low-rise canal dwellings tied into a higher mid-rise:

riverfront_park_twr.jpg

220828A.jpg

Palace%20Lofts%20jpeg.jpg

Of course, I won't be able to afford anything there :P

Now you're talkin! Shoot, since the city owns the island too, why not just go halfway out into the river with the development. A little mixture of low-rise canal dwellings tied into a higher mid-rise:

We could put the mid rise along the river and have the canals run under the midrise. That would be kinda cool looking.

Is there another piece of city property around? One stipulation I'd like is NO PARKING on this really incredible piece of property. Put in a skywalk or something, but let's not waste this land.

We could put the mid rise along the river and have the canals run under the midrise. That would be kinda cool looking.

Is there another piece city property around? One stipulation I'd like is NO PARKING on this really incredible piece of property. Put in a skywalk or something, but let's not waste this land.

I hear the city is open to the concept of underground parking :lol: Seriously though, I have to re-do my map. The city actually owns land all the way to Wealthy, except for one chunk right by Williams:

85410028_e32ddba198_o.jpg

I cant tell you how many times I wished someone in the 1800s had did that to the whole west side of GR. I wouldnt know why they would, but it would have been nice.

They coulda done it to connect downstream tributaries up to and past the rapids allowing for more river traffic to come in from different directions. Now if only I had been born about 140 years earlier.

I think Michcon or DTE owns that surface lot just South of Wealthy and Market, and West of Oakland, that could make a good spot for a parking ramp. Then traffic that does drive in could come via Wealthy instead of Market. Especially since there no longer is a Market Street exit on Northbound 131. Skywalk to the development Gary ;)

Sounds like we have an urban retail section with canals running through it, mixed with some low-rise residential with canals, and maybe (3) 10 - 12 story residential buildings staggered looking North to preserve views.

Hopefully the project will include a condo hotel too. The kind of condo building that doesn't have permanent residents for part of the year and is rented out like a hotel (if you arent familiar with the concept). These are springing up near the lakeshore and have been around on the coasts for a while.

I think Michcon or DTE owns that surface lot just South of Wealthy and Market, and West of Oakland, that could make a good spot for a parking ramp.

You are correct, it is DTE employee parking and fab shop.

Another idea that nobody has explored yet, that goes along with the current theme downtown - DASH Lot. :rofl:

OK, here's a rough, rough site plan. Red is retail and some low-rise "villas" along the blue canal. The two dark blue masses are mid to high-rises. The one furthest North is in the 6 - 8 floor range with stepped back upper floors. The one furthest South is 10 - 12 stories with the same look, like the picture below. Purple is parking deck. I'm hoping someone takes this and cleans it up :) I was going to start a new thread, but thought we should name our new project first.

85458438_5032265999_o.jpg

Palace%20Lofts%20jpeg.jpg

Nice Prankster :P ^^

I forgot to add that I envision the canal/retail portion looking like Rivercenter in San Antonio:

rivercenter.jpg

RiverCenter.jpg

http://www.shoprivercenter.com/

I put angled edges on the towers to capture as much of downtown as possible :good: But I can tweak it if you guys don't like it. I don't know on the light rail part, but it certainly provides some interesting flexibility. There is at minimum a ROW there.

OK, here's a rough, rough site plan. Red is retail and some low-rise "villas" along the blue canal. The two dark blue masses are mid to high-rises. The one furthest North is in the 6 - 8 floor range with stepped back upper floors. The one furthest South is 10 - 12 stories with the same look, like this:

Not to rain on your parade, but you will never get that piece of land for your parking deck away from DTE. The site is contaminated, and they do not want to take on the liability that would come with selling it off. Other than that, your plan not only looks awesome, but also very doable in the hands of the right developer.

The next question would be in how we are going to raise the $37 million to make it happen. Bake sales and girl scout cookies always seem to be a big hit. :P

Archived