Riverfront Project

GRDadof3

Not to rain on your parade, but you will never get that piece of land for your parking deck away from DTE. The site is contaminated, and they do not want to take on the liability that would come with selling it off. Other than that, your plan not only looks awesome, but also very doable in the hands of the right developer.

The next question would be in how we are going to raise the $37 million to make it happen. Bake sales and girl scout cookies always seem to be a big hit. :P

I thought about that. Plan B would be to make the portion South of the rail track a parking deck. I don't see any way around it. Even Rivercenter has two garages. We could just do underground parking under the Southern portion.

directory.gif

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice Prankster :P ^^

I forgot to add that I envision the canal/retail portion looking like Rivercenter in San Antonio:

I think part of the canal should be inside an enclosed retail area. Imagine a mini river running through Rivertown mall. Wouldn't that be wild?

I thought about that. Plan B would be to make the portion South of the rail track a parking deck. I don't see any way around it. Even Rivercenter has two garages. We could just do underground parking under the Southern portion.

NOOOO! I hope that doesnt have to happen. Isn't the ITP garage a block or 2 away; how about there? As for underground, I dont think that can happen with the river so close. Won't it flood? :dontknow:

I don't think ITP has a garage. :huh: The river obviously creates issues. But the Amway, Convention Center and Marriott have quite deep basements near the river, don't they? The other alternative is to buy out Mark London :unsure:

And definitely covering the canal portion with an atrium would be cool :)

I don't think ITP has a garage. :huh: The river obviously creates issues. But the Amway, Convention Center and Marriott have quite deep basements near the river, don't they? The other alternative is to buy out Mark London :unsure:

And definitely covering the canal portion with an atrium would be cool :)

I'm not sure who owns it, but there is a bus garage on Wealthy that sits on a fairly large piece of property.

The next question would be in how we are going to raise the $37 million to make it happen. Bake sales and girl scout cookies always seem to be a big hit. :P

Cookies for sale! Cookies for sale! Only $2,352.12 per dozen! At that price, you can't afford NOT to buy them!

Here it is\

Its owned by the GR transit authority. Its on Wealthy, taking the majority of the block between Finney and Ney.

Yah, I found it. The city also owns the property on the corner as well (in yellow):

85626876_cbc9b76c92_o.jpg

When are we getting LRT???!!!! Dealing with parking is a pain in the ass! :P It would drive up the cost and make it oh so more complicated this way. Where would the ITP relocate all those busses? Under 131 maybe?

Yah, I found it. The city also owns the property on the corner as well (in yellow):

When are we getting LRT???!!!! Dealing with parking is a pain in the ass! :P It would drive up the cost and make it oh so more complicated this way. Where would the ITP relocate all those busses? Under 131 maybe?

Well, now we have nearly an entire large block to dedicate to parking (at least it isn't on the river :thumbsup: ).

If I were the city, I'd take my cash and move on further down the river and do this again in ten years!

That would make for the world's largest parking deck I would think.

What is the next step for the city now? Who gets to make the final decision to put this property on the market and when could we expect something to happen? I don't see any reason to waste any time here do you guys? Maybe I'm just a little too excited :blush:

The city still has to hire a consultant and put together a marketing package and RFP's (I believe). I think that's how they did the City Centre. But that doesn't stop us from putting together something :thumbsup: I'm hoping someone like GRCentro can take our plan and do some sketches, and maybe Rizzo can work up some 3D renderings.

Did you catch that guys? We're looking at a 2 - 3 story retail urban mall with a canal and covered atrium, topped off with two residential towers over that (one being a hotel/condo concept), but that won't affect the plans:

RiverCenter.jpg

Palace%20Lofts%20jpeg.jpg

You got it. I'll have something up by Friday. Dad, what does the blue, red, and brown colors depict? Brown = parking ramp?

Red = retail mall

Blue = residential towers (furthest North being shorter than the other to maintain sightlines. Go 6 - 8 on the North tower and 10 - 12 on the South one)

Light Brown = boardwalk with outdoor cafes, going under 131 and linking up to Charley's Crab (would need to be extended up to Fulton eventually)

Burgundy = parking ramp

Ya, I like that idea. I want to keep with scale though, so how tall for the arches? A couple stories?

What about a pedestrian bridge over the canal? Should I include a few of thoes? Ah, I'll just put in what I think is fair and we can critique it later.

How about having the city commit to build the parking on the GRATA site. That way the ramp could be designed to be added on to later as the area fills in. We would have one big ass garage, but it could serve the entire area and no density would be lost to make way for parking.

Archived