Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Article on population growth in Virginia: http://statchatva.org/2016/01/27/population-growth-in-virginia-is-reversing-decades-old-trend-estimates-show/  

Cooper Center Estimated Population for Richmond (released 1/27/16 for July 1, 2015):  Richmond City  217,938 (which seems to lag a year behind Census estimates)

Link: http://www.coopercenter.org/demographics/virginia-population-estimates 

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this. I just got a chance to look at it.  Richmond and its surrounding counties are holding their own (Richmond City and Chesterfield County appear to be growing the fastest in the metro area - Henrico is not too far behind). Still, the Richmond area has the least populated localities in the urban crescent (meaning between just outside of DC and the Norfolk region).  Richmond needs some kind of catalyst to increase it numbers - some kind of new industry to draw in more people.  The region can certainly handle the population increase - the roads are hardly ever congested and the road network is phenomenal for a city this size.

Didn't mean to abandon the conversation... got tied up with some things.

Exciting times for Richmond though.

A couple of thoughts (*opinions) about what Richmond is still lacking to make it a top tier city:

PUBLIC PLAZA(S). Every great city has public plaza space. Richmond has great green space (especially along the riverfront - with improvements on the way), but lacks any large scale plaza space. I guess we'll get some plaza space with the 17th Street Market. And perhaps portions of Grace Street (a block or several) may be a good opportunity for something like this (Portland).

0414-r04_fit5oo.thumb.jpg.356dae120a1aa4

HIGH-END RETAIL. I'm all for supporting local shops and business (I have a small business myself), but I think Richmond could definitely support some high-end retail. With Whole Foods coming in, maybe others will follow suit. This is where the Boulevard development could come in. A mall or retail corridor (other than Cary Street) in the city would be great I think.

CONTEMPORARY CONDOS. We have a lot of historic and some contemporary(ish) condos, but nothing ultra-contemporary. We are fortunate to have many well-done historic rehabs, but it would be nice to get some more modern architecture in the city (like this).

152-Elizabeth-Street-by-Tadao-Ando-rende

Edited by evanf
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, jbjust said:

Well, we're working on Kanawha Plaza right now.  It's hard to do public space right and make it something that is used by the public.  Look at the disaster that is the Government Center Plaza in Boston.  It's the most depressing part of the whole city. 

What I would love to see is the expressway capped all the way to VCU and have one large greenway with a concert area and public art. Similar to Klyde Warren Park in Dallas.

1 hour ago, jbjust said:

Well, we're working on Kanawha Plaza right now.  It's hard to do public space right and make it something that is used by the public.  Look at the disaster that is the Government Center Plaza in Boston.  It's the most depressing part of the whole city. 

Ahh yea, forgot about that. Does anyone know if the design has changed on it? I know that the Urban Design Committee was not happy with it and made recommendations (which were ignored if I remember correctly?)

30 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

What I would love to see is the expressway capped all the way to VCU and have one large greenway with a concert area and public art. Similar to Klyde Warren Park in Dallas.

That would be really cool. I like that idea.

4 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

paving a path for a new coliseum?  this house bill passed allowing a more clear partnership to try to do so.

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/article_7570dfb1-f7a3-57e3-ad4d-8b3ebb7177ab.html

Wow!  Glad to see this pass so easily.  We need a new Coliseum so bad it hurts.  Hopefully, this is the start of something good and doesn't drag out like the baseball diamond.

Dug up another Google Maps My Maps map I made a couple years ago of vacant lots and surface parking lots in the downtown area. Again anyone can edit, I'm sure some of them have disappeared as new developments get proposed/built.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zQTz3AtiXT9I.kI6yUBdA6TYw&usp=sharing

• Like 2

Bear with me here, but based on @RVA-Is-The-Best's map (which is super awesome, btw!) what about a new stadium in Monroe Ward? Easy access to the DT Expwy, between the CBD and VCU, existing surface lots and potential for infill development w/parking garages scattered throughout on other lots, and potentially sick views of the skyline. Thoughts?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Dug up another Google Maps My Maps map I made a couple years ago of vacant lots and surface parking lots in the downtown area. Again anyone can edit, I'm sure some of them have disappeared as new developments get proposed/built.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zQTz3AtiXT9I.kI6yUBdA6TYw&usp=sharing

It felt good to be able to remove a good chunk of those.  I will have to dig deeper later.

4 hours ago, TBurban said:

Bear with me here, but based on @RVA-Is-The-Best's map (which is super awesome, btw!) what about a new stadium in Monroe Ward? Easy access to the DT Expwy, between the CBD and VCU, existing surface lots and potential for infill development w/parking garages scattered throughout on other lots, and potentially sick views of the skyline. Thoughts?

For an arena? I like the idea that it's so close to VCU but Monroe ward isn't very flat, making it a bad spot to build a stadium. Also, the current streets couldn't handle the amount of cars that would be driving and parking around the arena would be horrible. I also thought about putting either a coliseum or baseball stadium there, but it isn't a very good topographical site.

It's been awhile since we've taken a glance at the Downtown Master Plan Illustrative vision map. Evaluating almost 7 years after its commission, how well do you think the city has adhered to it? How far have we gotten in development? Neat to glance between this and Google Maps to see the work in progress. After all, cities are always a work in progress.

http://www.richmondgov.com/PlanningAndDevelopmentReview/documents/PlansDowntown/Rich_IllustrativePlan_lo_res.pdf

• Like 1

Last post for tonight, I swear.

I found a website with the most recent satellite imagery: 

NearMap, with imagery from November 8th, 2015, newer than the circa early-2015 imagery on Google Maps (otherwise the most recent people can find easily).

http://maps.us.nearmap.com/

NOTE: This is crucial. The website needs to be accessed in incognito mode on Chrome. It has a paywall/registration thing that makes you enter an email/create an account to continue browsing. Nonsense, just like getting past newspaper website paywalls, just close and reopen in a new incognito window (not tab) when it hits you with the splash screen ''Keep exploring nearmap! Provide us with your business email address to keep exploring. As a bonus you will receive access to our powerful business tools.'' and continue browsing.

Enjoy the most recent (only 4 months old!!) imagery! Biggest change I've noticed? Stone Brewing. Google Maps still shows the lot as a grassy, undeveloped plot. It's awesome.

• Like 2

I contribute to OpenStreetMap, and I've been adding buildings and building data like crazy lately. I found this 3D map renderer that takes OSM data and converts it into a 3D world. 

http://demo.f4map.com/#lat=37.5376458&lon=-77.4354782&zoom=17&camera.theta=80&camera.phi=25.267

The link above opens right onto the Richmond skyline, the reason I'm posting is because I've added The Locks at 321 to the map, which you should see next to the twins. I set the height to 94.488 meters, which is around 310 feet. Zoom around, play with the compass, change the orientation, you can view the skyline from different angles. They're all plain gray buildings, but hopefully it gives a basic idea of how the building would fall in place.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention you need WebGL enabled in your browser, otherwise the 3D rendering won't work.

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For the sake of keeping discussion rolling, (and because I'm bored sitting at this desk), how about some questions:

• What is the under construction development you are most excited about?
  • What is the proposed development you are most excited about?
  • What are some vacant/underutilized lots you would like to see developed/redeveloped?

Nice.  I'll bite...

I am excited about Main Street Station.  A little anxious, too, as we still don't know exactly what it will become.

I'm most excited to see the new highrises proposed along the south side of the river.  This and the Dominion tower.

It's a proposal just as much as it is an underutilized lot, but that darn Richmond Coliseum needs to GO.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

For the sake of keeping discussion rolling, (and because I'm bored sitting at this desk), how about some questions:

• What are some vacant/underutilized lots you would like to see developed/redeveloped?

Alright

1. The MSS train shed is definantly the most exciting development due to the endless possibilities of what could go inside. 

2. I think that we all would agree that dominions new tower is the most exciting building planned. 

3. I think the site with the most development potential isn't on the boulevard or the coliseum site. I think that the 4 acre site at the southeastern corner of 14th and Main could really be a key to the city. It is located in a prime location and could be used for a new arena or for a mixed use high rise development.

4 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

1.  I guess I have to also go with the Main Street Station since there is nothing else more exciting going on right now. Not sure if I'm really excited about this one. I'm actually more afraid that it will just become nothing since there is no solid plan for it yet. I am hoping for the best though.  If this could become like Philadelphia's Reading Market Terminal and be successful, I would be stoked!

2.  Definitely super excited about the new Dominion tower.  I just hope it doesn't disappoint!  A close second and third are the new Suntrust Center and the proposed residential towers on the south side.  Hopefully, those are at least 16 stories high.

3.  Would love to see a new arena built where the Coliseum is, but there are many potential sites for some good development downtown.  Personally, I would love to see the Centennial Towers project resurrected. Those towers would have really made a huge impact on the skyline!  If not Centennial, at least something like it and just as tall...of course at that location.  Can't believe Goidstein hasn't come back to do this project even considering the housing boom downtown.  Wish it were different.   Sigh....

1 hour ago, blopp1234 said:

3. I Think the site with the most development potential isn't on the boulevard or the coliseum site. I think that the 4 acre site at the southeastern corner of 14th and Main could really be a key to the city. It is located in a prime location and could be used for a new arena or for a mixed use high rise development.

I think that lot is too small to fit an arena, lest you are thinking of demolishing that parking garage as well. And I don't think historic preservationists or whatever would ever approve of a high rise development in the heart of Shockoe Slip. 

9 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

I think that lot is too small to fit an arena, lest you are thinking of demolishing that parking garage as well. And I don't think historic preservationists or whatever would ever approve of a high rise development in the heart of Shockoe Slip. 

The whole lot would be razed making it 3.5 acres which is enough for an 18,000 seat arena( it would be tight but they could close some of the Cary and 15th when there is an event). Even if an arena isn't built it is still a good spot for development due to its proximity to the pulse

Edited by blopp1234
  • Like 1