Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

1 hour ago, Wahoo 07 said:

That would be great.  I would love Richmond to blow past Memphis, Jacksonville, Louisville, etc.  Richmond's assets are at least a tier above it's present population status.

Just taking a quick look at current populations, according to the numbers above Richmond will blow past Memphis, Jacksonville, and Louisville by about 300k people; we're gonna blow by quite a few other cities

(using metro area population)

• Like 2

That would be awesome, I however just don't see that happening. From 2010-2015 the metropolitan area has grown by about 63000 people according to the census and 2015 census estimate, which is a solid 5% growth over 5 years. With that information the census is saying that in the 17 years from 2013-2030 the metro area is going to grow by about 60%. That's going from the about 1% growth per years we have seen, to forecasting 3.5% growth EVERY year for the 17 years. To put that into perspective that would be Richmond growing faster than Austin has for the past 5 years for the next 15 years. I would say a more realistic estimate would be somewhere about 1.6 million by 2030, and that's still growing slightly faster than we are now.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A little tongue in cheek, but one of the most exciting projects in downtown looks to be about complete: The new parking lot in front of CenterStage fronting Broad Street!

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5423168,-77.4365478,3a,75y,175.59h,92.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sErJEi9IfhSDmbgbJpCtHEw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

A little tongue in cheek, but one of the most exciting projects in downtown looks to be about complete: The new parking lot in front of CenterStage fronting Broad Street!

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5423168,-77.4365478,3a,75y,175.59h,92.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sErJEi9IfhSDmbgbJpCtHEw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Yeah it really helps enhance the neighborhood, *cough* *cough*

11 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

In other news, a moment of silence for this conceptual Kanawha Plaza redevelopment rendering. RIP in peace.

Urban-Ribbon-I-Kyle-Thomas-Murphy-3.jpg

Rest in peace indeed. Talk about a signature tower. I'm still hoping for a signature tower on the lot behind gateway. Would help fill the gap that gateway left.

4 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

An article on development of the boulevard and higher speed rail for the region. I absolutely have come to hate this idea. They keep mentioning that it will be "a new downtown". What do you guys think?

Yep... I absolutely hate the fact that a faction of this community is essentially pushing to disinvest from downtown In favor of Boulevard.   No it is not a new downtown...it's not even close. It has a few breweries, a few apartments, and a movie theater and that's it, yet they somehow see a notional equivalence between it and the real downtown (which houses a federal reserve bank, a major research university, a medical school, the state government, and tons of residents)??  That's ludicrous. There is no way Boulevard ever comes close to being as important as downtown proper, and trying to invoke some sort of equivalence between the two in order to create an argument for the Boulevard station concept is a blatantly misleading.  What's worse is that a Boulevard area station doesn't eliminate the need for the Acca bypass, and it would require an entirely new station to be built from the ground up, so it's certainly not a cheap alternative as its supporters seem to imply.  Plus since it won't be directly adjacent to downtown and it will have no connection to the Pulse, the convenience factor will be  almost completely eliminated.  

I really wish the excessive Boulevard fetishism would go away.  Sure it has some nice breweries and restaurants that make it a neat place to visit, and I hope it continues to do well but not at the expense of downtown. And these groups that continue to insist that it could be the new downtown often favor policies and developments that would redirect investment into the Boulevard area to the detriment of downtown.  The last thing Richmond needs is decentralization away from its core.  Build a strong downtown first and then work your way outward people.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with this almost entirely. I do however lean towards the idea of defining the downtown area of Richmond, and a lot of other cities, as bigger than just the Central Business District. Because that is really what the article is arguing there. He believes that we should only call the Central Business District downtown, while I believe we can expand that in today's context. 

However, other than that I completely agree. It's absurd to build another station in an area that is not walkable and would require more transportation to go anywhere from it.

• Like 1

It's been kind of slow on the boards so I thought I would ask everyone a question (that has probably already been asked tons of times but whatever). There was an article posted here recently about the population growth of Richmond area over the next 15 years, I was skeptical of the results but regardless:

What do you think Richmond's population will be over the next 4 census's, 2020, 2030, 2040, and 2050. Also what would you like to see Richmond's population at/does it differ from what you think we will see?

What I think it will be:

2020: 228,500

2030: 245,000

2040: 258,000

2050: 260,000

I'm conservative on what I actually think our population will be. I definitely think it will slow some. Here's what I want though:

2020: 232,000

2030: 252,000

2040: 268,000

2050: 285,000

How about you all?

2 hours ago, tparkerzut said:

It's been kind of slow on the boards so I thought I would ask everyone a question (that has probably already been asked tons of times but whatever). There was an article posted here recently about the population growth of Richmond area over the next 15 years, I was skeptical of the results but regardless:

What do you think Richmond's population will be over the next 4 census's, 2020, 2030, 2040, and 2050. Also what would you like to see Richmond's population at/does it differ from what you think we will see?

What I think it will be:

2020: 228,500

2030: 245,000

2040: 258,000

2050: 260,000

I'm conservative on what I actually think our population will be. I definitely think it will slow some. Here's what I want though:

2020: 232,000

2030: 252,000

2040: 268,000

2050: 285,000

How about you all?

I would like to see the City crack 250,000 by 2030.  300,000 would be even better

I think it really depends on how the schools and demographics change in the area.  My old boss is moving out of Chesterfield because "their schools are slipping" in his opinion.

If RVA can turn its schools around, I think that would be a 25-50k difference in population over a decade.

We moved out of the city 2 years ago (90% of the reason because of schools). The school my kids go to in Western Henrico feels like a private school. We were zoned for Fox when we lived in the city which is considered one of the top schools. Sadly, they just found black mold in the school. With all the shenanigans at city hall and the school board that would have been the final nail. Bottom line, they need to consolidate kids and close schools that are no longer needed to allow for more $$ overall in the system.

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

I noticed what looks like is going to be a construction site at Hull/Midlothian & 27th.  Does anyone know what's going on there?

Possibly another car wash:

10/24/2016 $485,000 GENES CAR WASH INC ID2016-20742 1 - VALID SALE-Sale Outside Market Range

I went to Stony Point to get a new coat yesterday and it was nice to see it so lively.  It looks like they rushed to finish much of the construction and had new amenities out, including an ice rink. 

I was also able to get my new iPhone from the Verizon store on Lombardy.

I only ended up getting the two things, but they were both big ticket items and it was nice to be able to get them within the city limits instead of having to go to Henrico or Chesterfield. 

• Like 2