Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

NearMap has updated their satellite imagery from the March 2016 to shiny new Sept/Oct 2016 imagery (if you're a map nerd who loves looking at construction progress from above, this site is a real treat).

http://maps.us.nearmap.com/

Remember, open it in incognito mode. After you scrim around a little it will freeze the screen and tell you you need an account. Nope. Just close the incognito window and open a new one. 

• Like 2

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/this-dupont-circle-sidewalk-turns-footsteps-into-power/2016/11/30/c69263f8-b020-11e6-8616-52b15787add0_story.html?hpid=hp_local-news_electricavenue-555pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.251b47d85a95

Interesting bit of innovation from DC.  While I have no idea about the physics/engineering underpinning projects like this, I would like to see RVA experiment with novel approaches to improving urban life and alternative energy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

I would like to see RVA experiment with novel approaches to improving urban life and alternative energy.

I would like to see RVA switch over to LED lights.  It would make the city look much more modern at night and use less energy (which means less money too).  

I think there are plenty of ways that RVA could improve its impact on the environment that have already been proven successes in more progressive cities.  Those things just aren't new technology that's catchy and good for soundbites that get voters interested.

Edited by RiverYuppy

14 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

The American Medical Association has expressed concern over the increased use of LED streetlights and associated health risks. 

https://www.ama-assn.org/ama-adopts-guidance-reduce-harm-high-intensity-street-lights

Indeed they have.  I think we should follow their recommendations if we decide to implement LED lights.

While what they are saying is true, it's also important to know that LED lighting can be "tuned" to a certain color temperature. This means we can make them give a warmer light that is closer to what a traditional (incandescent) light color is. I do lighting design for hospitals and we are starting to see "tunable" fixtures which means we can change the color temperature of the light on the spot. Make it warmer in the morning and cooler during the day. Basically all we would have to do is order warmer LED lights for streetlights and they will be very similar to standard ones. Also its good to note that all LED's give off color that is more true to the sun than any florescent bulb, which are terrible sources for light. 

• Like 1

Just a fun/interesting news/story from Nat Geo on mega-regions, basically a take on megalopolis but at an economic scale. So, its map is based on commutes and couple other factors that tie in these mega-regions. The relevant/good part for us is that it looks like Richmond is its own independent mega-region, it's tied in with the Hampton Roads area but the map makes it look like it's centered on Richmond. I think this is good because it sets us apart distinctly from the DC mega-region, meaning we are economically independent enough/different enough from DC to be our own region. We get overshadowed a lot by DC because it's so close and a lot bigger, so this is refreshing to see. 

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/11/us-commutes-reveal-new-economic-megaregions-map/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Richmond seriously has to get the crime under control again. 60 Homicides so far the year is way too many. Don't want to see Richmond go through another dark age with people fleeing from the city again. It kinda urks me knowing its going up so high again. Hopefully the new administration and get a hand on it again. I'd love to see Rodney Monroe come back again but I know that will probably never happen. I feel like he did such a good job.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been posted already or not, but.....

https://www.cnu.org/publicsquare/2016/12/05/traditional-cities-are-having-big-decade

Richmond ranks 5th in the country (behind New Orleans, Seattle, Washington DC, and Boston) for % population growth 2010-2015 by the Congress for the New Urbanism (CNU). RVA had 7.9% growth in 5 years, while for comparison, first place New Orleans had 13.3% growth (!).

Exciting times for cities nowadays, the suburbs now have to adapt to this new demographic shift.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I recently sent the following email to Richmond's public art director, Ellyn Parker (ellyn.parker@richmondgov.com). She is the the city official who will decide how our ~$2 million of current public art funds will be spent. She has already used $1 million plus of the original sum on two projects (the giant rings which adorn the south side of the Tyler Potterfield Bridge (~$200,000) and the Maggie Walker Statue/Plaza (currently under construction cost: ~$1 million)). She has recently been seeking public input for ideas regarding future projects.

Here was my email and idea for the best use of the funds: 

Hello Ellyn,

I had an idea for a very splashy public art project. What do you think of the possibility of teaming up with a downtown building owner to add an architectural crown to one of our tallest buildings. On the Richmond development forums every time a new tower is announced, a lot of us wait eagerly to see the renderings hoping that the new building will be tall and include an architectural crown or spire. Something that would break up the monotonous rectangular buildings that make our skyline feel blah. I don't think it's a stretch to consider a crown or spire public art, in fact the Chrysler Building's Art Deco crown is my favorite piece of eye candy in NYC. A very realistic example of what a retrofitted crown on one of our buildings could look like is Cincinnati's Great American Tower. It has an open steel-framed rotundous crown, and such a structure could easily be added to one of our buildings. 

Here is the building for reference: 
58adb6c053fe6_GreatAmericanTower.png.8b22709d4d8c0aa3095b1bfde8b3d688.png
This building was transformative for their skyline and serves as a punctuation both day and night. 

Anyway, please consider the idea. It may not be feasible, but it would be a splashy project that would change Richmond's skyline and excite a lot of the city. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you guys think of this idea? It would be amazing not to have to wait a decade to add a crown to Richmond's skyline!

By the way, I received an email back from her immediately saying she thought it was a great idea and that she would get in contact with some people. 

Edited by Blackbird Fly
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackbird Fly said:

I recently sent the following email to Richmond's public art director, Ellyn Parker (ellyn.parker@richmondgov.com). She is the the city official who will decide how our ~$2 million of current public art funds will be spent. She has already used $1 million plus of the original sum on two projects (the giant rings which adorn the south side of the Tyler Potterfield Bridge (~$200,000) and the Maggie Walker Statue/Plaza (currently under construction cost: ~$1 million)). She has recently been seeking public input for ideas regarding future projects.

Here was my email and idea for the best use of the funds: 

Hello Ellyn,

I had an idea for a very splashy public art project. What do you think of the possibility of teaming up with a downtown building owner to add an architectural crown to one of our tallest buildings. On the Richmond development forums every time a new tower is announced, a lot of us wait eagerly to see the renderings hoping that the new building will be tall and include an architectural crown or spire. Something that would break up the monotonous rectangular buildings that make our skyline feel blah. I don't think it's a stretch to consider a crown or spire public art, in fact the Chrysler Building's Art Deco crown is my favorite piece of eye candy in NYC. A very realistic example of what a retrofitted crown on one of our buildings could look like is Cincinnati's Great American Tower. It has an open steel-framed rotundous crown, and such a structure could easily be added to one of our buildings. 

Here is the building for reference: 
58adb6c053fe6_GreatAmericanTower.png.8b22709d4d8c0aa3095b1bfde8b3d688.png
This building was transformative for their skyline and serves as a punctuation both day and night. 

Anyway, please consider the idea. It may not be feasible, but it would be a splashy project that would change Richmond's skyline and excite a lot of the city. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you guys think of this idea? It would be amazing not to have to wait a decade to add a crown to Richmond's skyline!

By the way, I received an email back from her immediately saying she thought it was a great idea and that she would get in contact with some people. 

I like this idea.  It certainly could improve an otherwise banal rooftop.  It will be interesting to see if it has legs.

• Like 2

I also LOVE this idea!  I'm wondering why we didn't think of this earlier!  I, too, hope this has legs. Blackbird - what an awesome idea!  This is an "arts town" and would be a great way to display art in a very prominent way. Keep us updated on any developments!

By the way, I think that the Suntrust tower would be an excellent candidate for something like this!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

Also I do not think that public funds should be going towards a private entity. It would be wiser to approach the current tenant or organization and work with them and not use our city funds. Those funds should go towards parks that need art, or even adding art to an area that will raise the tax value assessment of the entire area bringing revenue back into the coffers of city hall. Art should be seen as an investment and art!  Also many of these organizations downtown also have a yearly art fund it may be wise to approach them, The federal reserve each year in Downtown Richmond invests in Art but I doubt they would want to Cap their building. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am very excited about the prospect of HGTV adding "Richmond Rehabbers" as a new show on its network. The show would follow the Cobblestone Group, a local husband-wife team who rehabs properties all over the city. At this point they have filmed a pilot episode which will air in May multiple times, and depending on reception, may be picked up for a 13-episode season. The Bizsense article features interviews from the couple and I love what they're saying; they say they will do their best to highlight Richmond's charm and resurgence as well as featuring local businesses!

Here is a link to the article: http://richmondbizsense.com/2017/03/09/local-house-renovators-ready-for-tv-spotlight/

I'm very excited about this prospect raising our profile as a destination for tourism and potentially getting more people interested in moving to the city. I'm kind of familiar with HGTV shows and I have never seen one that highlights a city to the level they are talking about with this one. For example, "Property Brothers" follows two brothers (one real estate agent and another contractor/carpenter) who help families buy houses with the intention of fixing them up to suit their needs. All of its episodes are in Toronto, but they pretty much never mention it and generally de-emphasize the city. This show on the other hand has Richmond in its title and the husband-wife team express that they want to highlight Richmond and make it hyperlocal!

This is a huge opportunity; let's cross our fingers that the show will be picked up for at least 1 season. Also, make sure to watch it and tell your friends/family too!  

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, hikendesign said:

Due to our new office location, near Atlee off 95/295, when I go to meetings, etc. downtown now I go 95 south more than I ever have.  Talk about a less than optimistic approach to the city for the millions of cars that pass by.  They're greeted with run down warehouses, old manufacturing buildings, dilapidated buildings, graffiti, falling over residential buildings and barely a decent downtown view.  I hadn't really paid much attention to this drive but now that I'm forced to due to the new office, RVA needs to pay attention to the area highlighted here.  I think the Boulevard development would tackle a lot of this or go a long way, hopefully something gets legs there. All cities have these areas it's just too bad it's one of the more frequent approaches for people that may assess our city by what they see here.

Google Maps.jpg

Agreed 100%!