Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

2 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

I would be curious to know when/if Richmond will pass Chesapeake and Norfolk in population.

I think it's on its way to passing Norfolk, but depending on how much Norfolk grows it could take another 15-20 years. As for Chesapeake that's a tougher question. That "city" has seen a decent amount of growth over the past 15 years but it's hard to compare to Richmond. Chesapeake is well over 300 square miles, in fact it's much larger than Henrico County is by area. Basically what that means is it has a lot more area for the population to move to, it could be a city of 500,000 people and still feel like the suburbs. I don't even county cities like VA Beach and Chesapeake when I think about cities in Virginia.

• Like 4

Well just a quick look at the US Census data, we are definately out pacing Norfolk and Chesapeake in population growth from 2010 to 2016.

If this keeps up at the same rate for all three localities then:

We will pass Norfolk around 2023.

We will pass Chesapeake around 2034.

But who knows, populations growth rates aren't constant and change year to year; we'll have a much better idea come the 2020 census.

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 12.45.04 PM.png

Edited by drayrichmond
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2017 at 11:45 AM, Icetera said:

For the city, those estimates sound low unless there is an expected slow down.  At current rates we should be reaching 250k my 2023-4.

2018 230129
2019 233689
2020 237304
2021 240975
2022 244704
2023 248489
2024 252334

I don't mean to be the resident buzzkill here but isn't that rather generous. 250K by 2024, good lord. I'm way more inclined to go with the projected 2040 or so estimates... unless we just start building on every parking lot in the city. And that's not accounting for the current transient population? The young ones who decide to start a family and move out to the burbs? 

7 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

I would be curious to know when/if Richmond will pass Chesapeake and Norfolk in population.

Not really likely. Chesapeake cheats in the manner that Houston cheats with Harris County, it has all the land containing endlessly expanding suburbs that add tens of thousands to the population every decade. Norfolk on the other hand is impressive, it has even less land than Richmond and has higher population meaning higher density. I honestly don't expect Richmond to overtake either but it will definitely keep within scratching distance, especially with Norfolk.

Hey. This isn't relevant to Richmond at all, but I'm liking how the development map is going and have decided to do a new one for the DC area where I now live. Anyone who is familiar with developments can edit. It will definitely take a while to be fully up to date, as I'm starting from scratch. That's why I'm thinking of posting it over to skyscrapercity or skyscraperpage or wherever DC development discussion is popular and will ask them to help as well.

It's nice to have these visual aids to track development, I notice the DC area doesn't really have one such comprehensive map. So here it is.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gO8tF82SAHz3dUkXkzvzcbxnwXo&usp=sharing

Holy smokes!  Talk about an undertaking! There is so much development going on in DC proper (not to mention the entire DC area) that it will be really tough to keep up with it all. Every morning when I crest the hill on I-395 in front of the Pentagon and look over the horizon toward DC proper, I can't even count the number of tower cranes all along the skyline!  I attempted to count one day and lost count at about 30 tower cranes and I didn't even get 3/4 through!  Crazy!  I wish Richmond would attain development on that scale!  It may never happen, but Richmond certainly can achieve a more brisk pace of developing smart, urban buildings very similar to what is happening up here. Hopefully, the BRT will play a role in that.  Good luck with the map!

7 hours ago, eandslee said:

Holy smokes!  Talk about an undertaking! There is so much development going on in DC proper (not to mention the entire DC area) that it will be really tough to keep up with it all. Every morning when I crest the hill on I-395 in front of the Pentagon and look over the horizon toward DC proper, I can't even count the number of tower cranes all along the skyline!  I attempted to count one day and lost count at about 30 tower cranes and I didn't even get 3/4 through!  Crazy!  I wish Richmond would attain development on that scale!  It may never happen, but Richmond certainly can achieve a more brisk pace of developing smart, urban buildings very similar to what is happening up here. Hopefully, the BRT will play a role in that.  Good luck with the map!

Honestly, I hope we never have explosive growth like that in Richmond.  That's one of the things I like about our city, the fact that we continue to grow steadily while avoiding the horror that is Charlotte, D.C., or Atlanta in terms of sprawl and traffic.

• Like 1

In my experience of watching NOVA grow in the past 7 years, I really have come to love the TOD that's been taking place along the new Silver Line and the infill/further densification of DC and the inner suburbs like Arlington, Alexandria, Tysons, Bethesda, etc. At the same time, I've come to really damn despise the endless sprawling outward into Loudoun and Prince William.

I think RVA and Henrico are at least on the right track now and have been geared towards dense, smart urban growth, Richmond out of necessity (it's a city with limited land), Henrico out of will (just look at plans for Libbie Mill, Innsbrook). Chesterfield for some reason doesn't seem to get it, it's just endless sprawl further out you go on Midlothian or Hull...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

In my experience of watching NOVA grow in the past 7 years, I really have come to love the TOD that's been taking place along the new Silver Line and the infill/further densification of DC and the inner suburbs like Arlington, Alexandria, Tysons, Bethesda, etc. At the same time, I've come to really damn despise the endless sprawling outward into Loudoun and Prince William.

I think RVA and Henrico are at least on the right track now and have been geared towards dense, smart urban growth, Richmond out of necessity (it's a city with limited land), Henrico out of will (just look at plans for Libbie Mill, Innsbrook). Chesterfield for some reason doesn't seem to get it, it's just endless sprawl further out you go on Midlothian or Hull...

Chesterfield has the potential to create 3 urban areas on midlothian. They've got chesterfield town center, westchester and the village on midlothian near winter field road. If they can capitalize on these areas, they have the potential to lobby LRT and commuter rail along midlothian turnpike. They have the apartments proposed in westchester commons and winter field crossing and the possible redevelopment of chesterfield town center, which could create mixed use communities that have offices, shops and apartments. I really hope they capitalize on these opportunities as it could help limit the endless sprawl out towards Powhatan and Amelia counties.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was back in Richmond over the weekend and had a chance to kayak from Pony Pasture to Reedy Creek.  It was a great experience and provides a fascinating perspective on Richmond and what a gem the James River Park System is.  Makes me seriously consider moving back sooner rather than later!

• Like 3

Off to Seattle for a week. Coming back to VA next Wed. Will still be actively checking UP, BizSense, RTD etc as usual. Will be most interesting to me to observe the patterns of urbanism in Seattle, how public transportation, urban planning and density all contribute to the quality of life there. Maybe RVA can take some notes. Might post some pics if I can

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Off to Seattle for a week. Coming back to VA next Wed. Will still be actively checking UP, BizSense, RTD etc as usual. Will be most interesting to me to observe the patterns of urbanism in Seattle, how public transportation, urban planning and density all contribute to the quality of life there. Maybe RVA can take some notes. Might post some pics if I can

Go learn some good things and bring the lessons learned home!  The City of Richmond leaders do a city visit every year (or there abouts) to learn lessons from other cities.  Some good ideas come back, but few are actually implemented I'm afraid.  Would be nice to take the good in all of these cities and actually implement them here - gotta have a good salesman to pitch them to the public to get them off the ground though!

I look forward to your report when you return!  Safe travels to ya!

• Like 1

I can't remember if it was on this board that we had discussed the possibility of Aetna Insurance Company moving its headquarters to Richmond or not.  Since I had not heard anything from the RTD about it in a while, I decided to look it up. Well, turns out that NYC beat us out. Here's an article on it:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/439298001/

I wish we might have won, but then again they're only moving about 250 executive jobs to NYC and about 5000 will still remain in Connecticut.  Tough loss for Hartford though.  Also, it doesn't look like the company is doing too well.  Wouldn't want a company who is struggling to move here only then to go completely under.  We might have lost out on wooing Aetna, but at least Richmond won't become infamous if the company goes under completely.  This all could be a good thing in the long run. 

I am disappointed in the RTD for not following up a while ago after Aetna had decided to move to NYC (unless I totally missed it).  Was I not paying attention or is journalism at the RTD that crappy?!  Just wondering. 

Edited by eandslee

How many of you suppose that any news of economic development in Richmond will be delayed until everything settles down around here?  I don't like the craziness going on - may peace prevail and normalcy return soon.

On second thought, released details of the Dominion Energy Arena just might divert attention away from all this mess and give us something more positive to talk about!

On 8/15/2017 at 8:25 AM, hikendesign said:

Completely agree with your concern, was worried about this too.  Will there be any negative impact on the cities in the south,  RVA, as people and businesses plan for their futures, vacations, developments?  Is there a fear that these locations are now too controversial, risky - placing a hold or stepping back until this works itself out?  A difficult topic and may be too soon to tell, we'll see how optimistic things are soon enough.  The Civil War museum broke ground yesterday, seems like unfortunate timing, but perhaps there's optimism within this somehow. 

Not to start a huge debate about the monuments, but if they were to be removed wouldn't the brand new Civil War museum be a great place for them? Also I'm glad we are going through with the museum. It shows that Richmond does actually care about its history in the civil war even though some people seem to think all we want to do is erase it.

53 minutes ago, tparkerzut said:

Not to start a huge debate about the monuments, but if they were to be removed wouldn't the brand new Civil War museum be a great place for them? Also I'm glad we are going through with the museum. It shows that Richmond does actually care about its history in the civil war even though some people seem to think all we want to do is erase it.

Could we please not raise this subject here?  This place is my internet sanctuary and I value how upbeat and positive this board is about all things Richmond (not to mention the fact that everyone here treats everyone else respectfully).

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Wahoo 07 said:

Could we please not raise this subject here?  This place is my internet sanctuary and I value how upbeat and positive this board is about all things Richmond (not to mention the fact that everyone here treats everyone else respectfully).

Word!

Love you enthusiasm!  I often feel the same as you. 

I don't know if we should add it to the list, but I think it bears keeping in mind:  3Twenty One Canal (was to be the new Suntrust tower).  I really believe that if a new tenant can be found, that project can be resurrected.  Remember it also had a huge residential component to the project. It would be great to see this go up.  Maybe if we can find a tenant that wants more space than what Suntrust wanted, the tower could go higher than 21 stories.

• Like 3

Well they have started demolition of the General Assembly building so there is progress there.  The Belvidere is supposed to start in October.  The site has been cleared.  I have my doubts with this one but it's too soon to rule it out (mid October would be a good time to declare it DOA).