Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Flew out of RIC this morning and in Orlando for the next few days for business.  Driving around here and admiring their nice buildings downtown and elsewhere.  I hope something groundbreaking happens to Richmond to help propel it into the city big leagues.  Sigh...

Edited by eandslee

12 hours ago, Hike said:

It's fun to be on the road,  enjoy!  When traveling, it always feels like where I am is so much better, more fun,  more going on, etc. then when the trip is over,  can't wait to get home...

I struggle with wanting to move to so many cities I visit. But I always have to tell myself that its only this fun because its vacation, and normal life would not be so glamorous. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tparkerzut said:

I struggle with wanting to move to so many cities I visit. But I always have to tell myself that its only this fun because its vacation, and normal life would not be so glamorous. 

So true.  Was just telling my in-laws this yesterday when they were talking about moving to Orlando (I have thought about it too), but then where would you go on vacation?  It would difficult to live in a popular vacation destination. So nope, we’ll stay where we are. We actually love it in Virginia!

14 minutes ago, eandslee said:

So true.  Was just telling my in-laws this yesterday when they were talking about moving to Orlando (I have thought about it too), but then where would you go on vacation?  It would difficult to live in a popular vacation destination. So nope, we’ll stay where we are. We actually love it in Virginia!

While I agree with your sentiment about the Commonwealth, there is something to be said about living some place that other people seek out for their vacations.  

5 minutes ago, Wahoo 07 said:

While I agree with your sentiment about the Commonwealth, there is something to be said about living some place that other people seek out for their vacations.  

Maybe, but I just think that the excitement and “flashiness” would wear off really fast and would become boring at some point.  At least in Virginia I can experience the 4 seasons and getting down here for an “escape” when I want, is easy and cheap!

30 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Maybe, but I just think that the excitement and “flashiness” would wear off really fast and would become boring at some point.  At least in Virginia I can experience the 4 seasons and getting down here for an “escape” when I want, is easy and cheap!

I can't say about other vacation spots, unless you count NYC, but I've lived in Florida, the charm and excitement will wear off fast, especially if you enter the work force down there. When it comes to work in the standing motto is why do you need a vacation, you live in Florida...

• Like 1

On 12/1/2017 at 7:43 AM, Wahoo 07 said:

I think that idea definitely wears off. I've talked to a lot of the people who moved here from San Diego with Stone and they all said people act like they are crazy to move away from San Diego. However every single one of them said when you actually work there it's just life as usual. No one has the time or money to just be vacationing all the time. And then you have to deal with all the real world problems that exist in whatever area you are living in. These may be the same every day problems other areas have but that's exactly my point, you end up living the same type of life no matter where you live. I think where you choose to live on a very local scale changes your lifestyle more, meaning which neighborhood you're in vs. what city you're in.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tparkerzut said:

I think that idea definitely wears off. I've talked to a lot of the people who moved here from San Diego with Stone and they all said people act like they are crazy to move away from San Diego. However every single one of them said when you actually work there it's just life as usual. No one has the time or money to just be vacationing all the time. And then you have to deal with all the real world problems that exist in whatever area you are living in. These may be the same every day problems other areas have but that's exactly my point, you end up living the same type of life no matter where you live. I think where you choose to live on a very local scale changes your lifestyle more, meaning which neighborhood you're in vs. what city you're in.

We may have to agree to disagree.  As one living in New York, it is not the daily routine that is terribly different, it is what you get to do with your free time that is.  Millions of people come here for the experiences that are available to residents every day.  My life here is markedly different from my life almost everywhere else that I have lived.  This has something to do with my neighborhood, but has far more to do with the city as a whole.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Devs at UP must be getting wiser. A page now loads and immediately gets blocked with a disable ad-blocker or related extensions page.

The funny thing is, I do not think I ever even noticed the ads on here until you pointed them out.  Amazing how it is possible to subconsciously block out common annoyances.

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

The funny thing is, I do not think I ever even noticed the ads on here until you pointed them out.  Amazing how it is possible to subconsciously block out common annoyances.

Ye you're right, even now with the blocker disabled they're not obtrusive (in fact I kind of have to look around to find them lol)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there are or ever were any plans recently to do anything with the building at 728 E Main. It seems a rather significant building downtown that stands vacant and boarded up on the upper floors considering all the development that has occurred downtown in the last few years. It looks like it was owned by Douglas Jamal at one point and I found mention of a redevelopment on a page that I linked below....but the sign for Jamal's company has been replaced with a Thalhimer's sign, but I cannot find the building referenced on their website. Seems like a good spot for a boutique hotel, unless we are saturated already, or more apartments. There are a lot of windows without obstructions so you wouldn't have to be too creative with how to get natural light into all the spaces.  I'd be happy for any use of this building...it's the only blight in that area and it looks awful.  I moved here in 2010 and it was vacant then. It looks like it has been vacant for at least 10 years from what I can find online. 

http://www.paretollc.com/portfolio/douglas-development-properties/728-e-main-street/

• Like 1

Greetings all - I'm in D.C. trying to move to RVA and currently looking for a new job in corporate communications/public relations.  Would love to network with anyone interested. Just shoot me a DM.   

That’s funny I have a friend moving back down from dc to Richmond and is looking for something in communications as well. She is going to be down here for good on January 6th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shakman said:

When changing my avatar, I keep getting a message that file size is too large.  How do I get around this?

In an image editor (MSPaint, Paint.Net, etc) you will have to resize it down to under 16KB, if I recall.  I found 178x178 to work but you may need to play around a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

I was a bit bummed that many of my friends moved away to DC after university.

However, after a few years many of them are trying to find work in RVA so they can move back.  A big part of it is that they are priced out of the areas they would want to live and relegated to the suburbs.

What RVA offers for its affordable living cost is extremely good.

One of my friends living in a nice apartment in DC is paying almost triple what I pay for my mortgage.  If you have the money to do that without having to be a workaholic, DC is a blast.  Otherwise, RVA looks very enticing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just want to take a moment to thank those of you who took photos and posted them on this site this weekend!  The photos were great!  I’ve never even seen some of these projects and these photos are telling the awesome story of the renaissance that Richmond is undergoing!

• Like 3