Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Are there any working groups we can be a part of to influence growth in the city of Richmond? Or can we start one? It would be great to start a group with the mission to represent the interests of the Richmond development community to city, the mayor and city council. A potential sub-goal would be to increase the height restriction in downtown. (Anyone have any info on this restriction anyway?)

Overall, I pose this because I’ve been paying close attention to the growth in Tyson’s Corner - especially with their plans for a 615 foot tower about to break ground. I just worry that Richmond will be surpassed by a Northern Va suburb! 

• Like 3

On 6/17/2018 at 7:35 AM, Ward Wood said:

Are there any working groups we can be a part of to influence growth in the city of Richmond? Or can we start one? It would be great to start a group with the mission to represent the interests of the Richmond development community to city, the mayor and city council. A potential sub-goal would be to increase the height restriction in downtown. (Anyone have any info on this restriction anyway?)

Overall, I pose this because I’ve been paying close attention to the growth in Tyson’s Corner - especially with their plans for a 615 foot tower about to break ground. I just worry that Richmond will be surpassed by a Northern Va suburb! 

There is also Chamber RVA, our local chamber of commerce. While they are not promoting specific development they are promoting job growth and efforts to strengthen our homegrown work force. All of this is to make companies want to stay in and move to Richmond, which causes continued development. My girlfriend just started working there actually.

• Like 3

Here is the article: 

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/richmond-region-could-recruit-more-middle-office-jobs-but-office/article_e69237f1-ca3f-5c0a-af79-1f8d5d0b51c0.html

This is good to hear, but while the meat of the article is good, so many details are missing.

They're talking about class A office space but make no mention of what our current vacancy rate is, what is it?? Where is the largest chunk of available space (I think it's James Center), how big is it, what's the news on it? Come on RTD, you can't talk about this kind of thing and leave out the details that development/business interested people would want to read about! (sorry little rant on RTD). 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Shakman said:

Any development done right would make a nice gateway coming into the City.   With it's location next to single family homes, one has to wonder how much can really be done.

I would imagine they could put in some smaller apartment buildings, townhomes and/or row homes as an extension of the neighborhood. A nice looking development would be a huge improvement to the entrance of the city from 64, which currently doesn’t look all that great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drayrichmond said:

Not big news by any means, but I love me some mini golf, so I'm happy to see one coming to downtown!!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/07/17/mini-golf-venue-planned-rehabbed-hotel-john-marshall-building/

This one just seems odd to me.  Is mini golf really a "thing" outside of vacationing kids and their parents?  Maybe I'm just not in the "in" crowd, but I laughed at this article when I read it this morning and said to myself, "What a stupid idea - it will never work!"  Am I wrong here?

18 minutes ago, eandslee said:

This one just seems odd to me.  Is mini golf really a "thing" outside of vacationing kids and their parents?  Maybe I'm just not in the "in" crowd, but I laughed at this article when I read it this morning and said to myself, "What a stupid idea - it will never work!"  Am I wrong here?

The concept is unique enough to where it just might.  I would be curious as to how well that mini-golf course on Midlothian does as it has been there forever.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, eandslee said:

hey it's just one more amenity for downtown living, though I think something like this would be a better fit for the canal area.

The way I look at it, is that most of the entertainment options are outside the city limits really. There's no movie theater downtown, the only big one in the city is out on Boulevard. There was no bowling alley in the city until River City Roll moved in, again on Boulevard. We're getting arcades (barcades) moving into the city, another entertainment option. Point is, that most of the entertainment options like this left the city when everyone fled to the burbs, so it's a good sign seeing more stuff like this in the city.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

@eandslee being pessimistic about something? Never thought i'd see the day

LOL!  Well, in all fairness mini golf isn’t going to make or break a city.  However, I’m game for there to be mini golf downtown as long as it works...I just didn’t know it was a “thing” and therefore thought it was a terrible idea.  You guys have allowed me to see the light.  So, pessimistic?  Maybe so, but only because I was not in the know.  I’m now optimistic about the project!! :)

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, georgeglass said:

All "things" have to start somewhere. Why can't Richmond be a trendsetter? To me, this is way more sensical than the shuffleboard place in Scott's Addition, but I hope both are immensely successful!

Well, the indoor mini golf is definitely unique to say the least (kind of odd), but all the reactions I’ve read about this project is positive.  Does anyone know if this has been done before elsewhere?  I’d like to see/read what it’s like and why it is or isn’t successful. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2018 at 2:59 PM, wrldcoupe4 said:

The topo is terrible through there, no?

Just looked at it on Google map's terrain feature and did the street level views.  It slopes towards the tracks though it does not look too steep.   The next time I'm in RVA, I will try to remember to stop here to see for myself.

2 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

These 'fun activity' trends are getting out of hand

Cutting edge: Axe-throwing trend flies into Henrico

Now we need one of these :D  :

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Rage-Room-Offers-Smashing-Way-to-Release-Stress-476308263.html

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 2