Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

I agree, that would be a major blow to Norfolk. btw, the girlfriend's cousin was also the art director for War of the Worlds. We'll have to wait till November to see his work on The New World...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is the name of g/f's cousin (unless he would prefer to remain unidentified)? Art Director is a BIG job. Ask him if he remembers Helen Jervey who is now wasting away in a Chesterfield nursing home. She was very active in casting and location work on many major projects in the Richmond area before falling ill.

Edited by burt

Re: The John Adams HBO miniseries, it is reported that a Production Office has been set up in Greater Richmond and the lease is for a year. Filming is expected to take at least 26 weeks in and around Richmond as well as much of it in Colonial Williamsburg. Anybody want to do extra work? Sometimes (though rarely) extras get up-graded to Day Player and enjoy all the accompanying perks such as private dressing compartment in a trailer, SAG minimum payment (about $500 a day) and the chance to mingle with the big boys.

Harry Kollatz, one of Richmond's best writers, reported in the July issue of Richmond Magazine that back in April, some Hollywood biggies had lunch at the Jefferson Hotel to discuss this project. Among those present were Tom Hanks, Steven Speilberg, Geena Davis and other showbiz types. Incidentally, Harry has lucked in on some day player work in other film projects. I Hope he gets another chance with this one! :)

adding to that....

"Estes Express Lines is now a national trucking power.....G.I. Trucking brings 56 freight terminals in the West, more than 5,000 trucks and trailers and 2,110 employees.

Estes, meanwhile, grows to 172 terminals and 12,000 employees, including those at its Richmond headquarters at 3901 W. Broad St. It will serve 46 states, up from 33......Last year, Estes was ranked the 23rd-largest U.S. transportation company, with revenue of more than $1 billion, the company said. "

Estes expands out West

Richmond is also headquarters for "K" Line America.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

The City is revving up for the National Folk Festival. I got an e-mail today from Richmond Rennaissance trying to line up supporters for the event. I'd share the e-mail if I knew how. :unsure: Maybe coupe received one and will post it. :rolleyes:

Edited by burt

hahaha I sure did get it:

In a few short months, the banks of the James River in downtown Richmond will welcome the 67th National Folk Festival, featuring 25 groups on seven performance stages, 15 of Virginia's finest musical instrument makers, amazing foods, a showcase of the finest craftspeople from Virginia and the region and a children's area. This "moveable feast of deeply traditional folk arts" has been held in 27 communities around the country, beginning in 1934, and now finds itself on the banks of River City October 7-9, 2005 as a signature event of Richmond Region 2007.

The National Folk Festival features a broad array of music including Cajun, blues, African, Celtic, bluegrass, Hispanic, klezmer, Asian, rockabilly, gospel, cowboy and much more!

In addition to it's national scope, each National Folk Festival host city celebrates its own regional flavor and heritage. From Tidewater to the Blue Ridge, Richmond's festival will showcase Virginia's rich, living musical traditions as well as its deeply rooted traditional occupations and crafts - the heart of our heritage.

The entire weekend is FREE to the public.

"But, we need your help!"

We need to get the word out about the event and we are asking you to join us as a marketing partner for this event that is slated to draw 100,000 people to Downtown Richmond. Below, there is a list of some very easy ways in which you might be able to assist us in spreading the word about the National Folk Festival locally. If you have any questions or need additional information about the Festival, or if you might like to get involved in other ways, please let us know!

Thank you so much for helping to make this event a huge success!

Sincerely,

Lucy Meade

Lisa Sims

Co-Chairs Marketing, National Folk Festival

...If you would like me to post more of the email I can do that as well...btw if I ran into Spielberg or Hanks while taking pics downtown I dunno what I would do :)

Just tip your cap and say "howdy, welcome to our lovely city". Which puts me in mind of a line from the movie "Nashville" when one of the nouveau riche characters greets visitors with "welcome to our lovely home" hehehehe. :lol:

Edited by burt

There's a glimmer of hope for preservationists trying to save the old Murphy and Richmond Hotels. They are presently in the swath of State expansion. Though both are occupied by government agencies, they do not provide ideal configurations. The State, in one scenario, would like to demolish both and erect another Soviet-style block in their stead.

BUT, to the rescue, comes a commissioned feasibility report whose first option is to salvage the two buildings and construct a new one at the parking lot at 9th and Broad where Mr. Wilder once proposed a new Lottery office building. I like the old hotels and believe they enhance the character of the City. I hope they remain. :)

This is so silly it's almost laughable. One of the FEW gubernatorial debates in which one of the candidates is willing to appear (no names, but surely everybody knows who!) will be held at the Greenbrier Hotel in - yes - WEST Virginia. And don't expect any TV coverage. :rolleyes:

Nice story by Melissa Rugiera (spelling?) on Flair page today in RTD. She speaks about progress at Ladybird. Toads Place Richmond will be a 1400 to 1500 seat venue for music acts opening in December. Coupe, could you post her full article since I still don't know how to do that? Sorry for my ineptitude. :wub:

here ya go:

New club will give city larger venue for live-music acts

The lease has been signed and initial construction has begun at the former Ladybird Hat building on Virginia Street near the Canal Walk. Opening Dec. 1 -- or, with some speedy work, a couple of weeks earlier -- will be Richmond's branch of Toad's Place music venue..........

........The 20,000-square-foot building is expected to hold 1,400 to 1,500 patrons on three levels -- a main dance floor with two bars; a mezzanine with cabaret-style fixed seating and a lounge; and in the upper region, VIP skyboxes with reception space behind them............

link

The Richmond-based ad agency Martin Agency has landed a $50 million AOL account. Pretty big deal for advertising in this town. My hope is that since AOL is part of TimeWarner, Martin Agency may be able to climb up the corporate ladder, potentially working on advertising for other segments of the mammoth corporation

The Richmond-based ad agency Martin Agency has landed a $50 million AOL account. Pretty big deal for advertising in this town. My hope is that since AOL is part of TimeWarner, Martin Agency may be able to climb up the corporate ladder, potentially working on advertising for other segments of the mammoth corporation

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's great for Martin. However, they will be sharing the $50M AOL acount with Carat Interactive in Boston and Atmosphere BBDO in New York.

AOL-Time Warner is headquartered in NOVA. I wish more big Virginia Fortune companies would send their advertising business to Martin Agency. They have certainly proved themselves with some very funny and imaginative campaigns - Geico, for example. :)