Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Great story in NYTimes business page July 20 about new life for downtown environs of Pittsburgh. New developments are popping up all over the PGH CBD, and that includes a REVITALIZED THEATRE DISTRICT. Meanwhile, someone in Richmond is so determined to scuttle Richmond's dream of rising above cultural mediocrity, he's threatening to sue on grounds of public access to information on VAPAF's fund collection.

well, I've heard from one of the people on RCW that HBO is moving into Tobacco Row for the John Adams miniseries. The poster is planning a move to Richmond....A management rep said that the River Lofts at Tobacco Row building is full until April when HBO leaves. It's sucks for the poor guy who was planning on living in this building. However, can you imagine leaving for work in the morning and passing Hanks or Spielberg!!

Mayor shifts focus to social issues: Wilder's not afraid to note problems that a mayor typically wouldn't address

Can we all say Hail Wilder? :) Great article about his intentions. Now that city hall has been turned upside down and sifted through to Wilder's expectations:

"Now that the new form of government giving a directly elected mayor strong executive powers is in place, the push to do something about Richmond's social problems will be the centerpiece of what City Hall does, he says. It is the vision behind his three-year-old campaign to reform city government."

One of my all time favorite quotes by Wilder:

"You can do this by going out into the neighborhoods and saying: 'Look, you can't do this, it's just wrong for you to steal, for you to rob,'" Wilder said. "Where are the leaders? . . . Yes, it is a bully pulpit, and I intend to use it."

Some people may not like his bluntness, his way of answering to no one except for the citizens and himself. Some people may not like his tough questions. I say screw them. He's here to make Richmond the wonderful city that it really can and really should be. The old ways are being swept out the door. I hope you are all there welcoming the ways of new.

well, I've heard from one of the people on RCW that HBO is moving into Tobacco Row for the John Adams miniseries. The poster is planning a move to Richmond....A management rep said that the River Lofts at Tobacco Row building is full until April when HBO leaves. It's sucks for the poor guy who was planning on living in this building. However, can you imagine leaving for work in the morning and passing Hanks or Spielberg!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Film projects often take vacant apartments in Tobacco Row when shooting in Greater Richmond. They house their actors, crew and administrative personnel there. Most of the filming on this project will be in Hanover, Richmond and Williamsburg and it will be the biggest and most expensive movie shoot in Virginia history. They have set up headquarters in Richmond and shoot will last 26 weeks. And coupe, I'm not sure Speilberg is actively involved in it other than it being his company as umbrella producer. Hanks, though, will be around.

The School Board is getting the boot from top floors in City Hall. They've discussed 3 options (read offers):

1. a rat-infested state building near DMV on West Broad (no price listed)

2. Space in Jemal's CNB tower (3rd & Broad) at $11 per sq/ft but no parking

3. Space in Bank of America tower (12th and Main) at $18 per sq. ft., parking included.

I think they're looking for something in excess of 50,000 sq. ft.

See today's RTD for more details.

Just found out the MetroJackson Chamber of Commerce (Mississippi) is sending a delegation up to Richmond in September to meet with city government and business leaders about downtown revitalization and waterfront development. They're meeting on Monday, September 26th at the Troutman Sanders offices in Riverside. I think it's cool that other cities are now coming to Richmond looking for ideas, instead of the other way around. B)

Edited by theriverpirate

Just found out the MetroJackson Chamber of Commerce (Mississippi) is sending a delegation up to Richmond in September to meet with city government and business leaders about downtown revitalization and waterfront development.  They're meeting on Monday, September 26th at the Troutman Sanders offices in Riverside.  I think it's cool that other cities are now coming to Richmond looking for ideas, instead of the other way around.  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know. After all the delegations we have dispatched to Pittsburgh, Columbus, Louisville, Cincinnatti, etc, we're getting the return compliment! Guess we're pretty important after all!! But make no mistake, the name Doug Wilder resonates thru all this attention!!! :)

Loving Produce seems jinxed. It's been determined that lightening was the cause of the recent fire that caused heavy damage on its building in the 1600 blocks of east Grace and Franklin.

And on top of that City inspectors have found all sorts of code violations and have condemned the building, though a 120 day grace period has been allowed.

Read more about this in today's RTD.

Just found out the MetroJackson Chamber of Commerce (Mississippi) is sending a delegation up to Richmond in September to meet with city government and business leaders about downtown revitalization and waterfront development.  They're meeting on Monday, September 26th at the Troutman Sanders offices in Riverside.  I think it's cool that other cities are now coming to Richmond looking for ideas, instead of the other way around.  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey I meant to respond to this yesterday. That is really great news. There is so much happening in Richmond its about damn time it got noticed! :)

There's a great story about the upcoming National Folk Festival in today's RTD. I tried to cut and paste portions of it and actually succeeded, but got scared that maybe I had infringed on copyright, so erased it all.

Go to the story and, if you're more confident in your C&P abilities than I, post the story here for everyone to enjoy. :silly:

Edited by burt

Richmond.com

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

America is getting a new set of baby pictures developed right here in the River City.

They're sure to be captivating, likely familiar and you might even find yourself in the frame. That's because an HBO mini-series focusing on patriot and President John Adams will be cast and shot in Richmond and Williamsburg.

The 10-part mini-series, aptly titled "John Adams," will air on HBO in 2007 and is being produced by Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman. It's the same tandem that brought the Emmy-winning "Band of Brother Series" to the small screen. The script has been pulled from David McCullough's Pulitzer Prize-winning biography on America's Federalist second president and it will trace the first 50 years of America's independence through the perspective of Adams and his wife, Abigail.

If you're a history buff or just interested in getting your mug on HBO, the mini-series will be casting extras at The Shops at Willow Lawn this Friday and Saturday. And if you're worried you don't have that chiseled and slick Hollywood look, then you might be in luck.

"I tell people that I'm looking for people that are coming out of a Charles Dickens story," Casting Director Jeanne Boisineau said. Crooked teeth? No problem. Is your hair sweeping the floor? Better yet. Remember, this is set in the early 1800s, making imperfections the new vogue.

Boisineau, who recently cast extras for the new ABC drama "Commander-in-Chief" in Richmond, said she's looking for thousands, especially those who have turn-back-the-clock skills. If you can do the work of a seamstress, blacksmith, wig maker, farmer, ship rigger or period musician, you're likely to get extra special consideration.

"Not everybody has to have special skills," Boisineau said. "We're especially looking for people with great faces, and of course, we're looking for re-enactors." The production will also need a few kiddies.

While extras typically receive $100 to $120 per 12-hour day, those boasting period talents might have their rates bumped up, Boisineau said. Leads have yet to be cast for "John Adams" and filming will take place mid-September through April at undisclosed locations in Richmond, Williamsburg as well as Europe.

HBO previously shot the women's suffrage flick "Iron Jawed Angels" in Virginia. And Gov. Mark Warner has high expectations for the economic lift the production will give the Commonwealth. "Because of the length of filming, the historical settings and scope of the story, this will be the largest and most expansive project ever filmed in the Commonwealth, with an estimated economic impact of at least $60 million," Warner stated in a recent release.

The open casting call will take place at The Shops at Willow Lawn on Friday, Aug. 5 from noon to 8 p.m. and on Saturday, Aug. 6 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. The mall is located at the intersection of Broad Street and Willow Lawn Drive. Those seeking extra roles need to bring a recent, non-returnable photo and know his/her clothing sizes, including hat, glove and shoe sizes. Children under 17 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From today's Richmond dot com :)

Edited by burt

"A Chinese company that makes custom metal products has opened its U.S. headquarters in Innsbrook.

Star Precision Industries Co. Ltd., which is based in Changzhou, China, is the first Chinese firm to establish a U.S. headquarters in the Richmond area, according to the Greater Richmond Partnership, the region's economic development organization."

A custom metal products maker is first from China to put U.S. headquarters here

very good news! as long as this isn't the initial thrust of a Red takeover :)

Adding to that, Dominion Resources, the Richmond-based major energy company, posted profits up 32% over the 2nd quarter of 2004.

"The Richmond-based energy company, which is parent to Dominion Virginia Power, reported net income of $332 million, or 97 cents per share, on revenue of $3.6 billion, compared with a profit of $251 million, or 76 cents per share, on revenue of $3.04 billion during the second quarter of 2004."

as for Markel Corp:

"Markel Corp. reported second-quarter net income of $60.17 million, or $5.95 per share, compared with $59.04 million, or $5.84 per share, in the year-earlier period.

Richmond-based Markel markets and underwrites specialty insurance products and programs. It shares fell 2.2 percent, or $7.51, to close at $333.49."

Richmond-based Brinks Co. reported lower revenue from a year ago. "Revenue in the second quarter rose about 16 percent to $1.32 billion. For the first six months of the year, Brink's earned $28.9 million, or 52 cents a share. That's down 35 percent from $44.4 million, or 82 cents per share, in the year-earlier period. Revenue rose 14 percent."

article

annnnnnd last but not least, thriving Richmond-based Cavalier Telephone, which just showed quarterly revenue jump 27% from a year ago, is launching entertainment services, such as video on demand, over a broadband network.

article

and thats your daily dose of business in Richmond :thumbsup:

Edited by wrldcoupe4

You know what I really think we are having more people post here in the Richmond forums.I've noticed that we have had alot more newer members posting who knows we might have more than the Hampton Roads-Tidewater Forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I'm afraid we've got a long way to go before catching up with the numbers of posters on the HR forum.

Why didn't you vote for Richmond in your survey about best city in Virginia? I notice that there are only 3 Richmond votes - Vacelt, Worldcoupe4 and me! your vote would have tied us with HR :lol:

Edited by burt

"Businesses also are considering the future. Carrabba's Italian Grill on Midlothian Turnpike has a green roof, and SunTrust Bank is installing an 11,800-square-foot one on its downtown headquarters. Construction started July 18 and is expected to be completed this month."

There's a great story in today's Flair section of RTD about "green rooftops". The above is a quote from the article.

:)

Sorry, I don't know how to do the "Link" thing. :rolleyes:

Edited by burt