Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm in Richmond right now. I had to make an emergency trip because my father's health is not doing very well and the prognosis is not good either. However, I will more than likely need to get away from "everything" here from time to time this week, so if anyone will be around this week and would like to meet up, shoot me an email at [email protected] and give me your contact info. Anyway, just thought I might take advantage of the time I have here, while I'm here. I'm actually home and it's nice to be back...except for the rain we had here today! :angry:

I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm in Richmond right now.  I had to make an emergency trip because my father's health is not doing very well and the prognosis is not good either.  However, I will more than likely need to get away from "everything" here from time to time this week, so if anyone will be around this week and would like to meet up, shoot me an email at [email protected] and give me your contact info.  Anyway, just thought I might take advantage of the time I have here, while I'm here.  I'm actually home and it's nice to be back...except for the rain we had here today!  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really sorry to hear about your Dad's condition, Eric. Did your family accompany you East?

Regards and best wishes from New York City. :)

Really sorry to hear about your Dad's condition, Eric.  Did your family accompany you East?

Regards and best wishes from New York City. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. It's just me, but it's still good to be home - just wish that I wasn't here under these conditions...Thanks Burt.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm in Richmond right now.  I had to make an emergency trip because my father's health is not doing very well and the prognosis is not good either.  However, I will more than likely need to get away from "everything" here from time to time this week, so if anyone will be around this week and would like to meet up, shoot me an email at [email protected] and give me your contact info.  Anyway, just thought I might take advantage of the time I have here, while I'm here.  I'm actually home and it's nice to be back...except for the rain we had here today!  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry to hear about your pops. You must be in the military i take to be in Montana. Airforce or Army i take it.

Keep in touch with us Eric, even in these stressful times.

You just happened to arrive home when things are popping.

Thoughts are with you, your Dad and your family.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words. Yes, I am in the military (Air Force). Right now, things are just kind of up and down emotionally, but that's kind of the nature of this "game". It is great to be in Richmond again to see all that is going on...it's wonderful. Today, I got out for a break from everything and headed downtown to see some of the different sites. I even managed to take some photos I will share when I get back to Montana. I saw the Federal Courthouse, the ROTJ project (which looks spectacular in person - I still don't like the way the roof was cut off of the condo tower, but oh well), I saw some work still going on at City Hall, saw a ton of work in Shockoe Bottom, Heck, I even checked out the Civil War Visitor's Center at Tredegar. What a nice place that is. There are few artifacts there, but it was nicely put together and a great place for tourists to come and get a first impression of our city. I'm staying in Chesterfield County down 360 and actually drove on 288 all the way to I-64 yesterday...that was awesome! Boy, so much has changed around here in just a year! Some things haven't changed like I thought they would, but all the good news in the downtown area is really overriding all of that! It's just nice to see everything that we talk about here, in person!

Can't wait to see your pics! You're right about being here to see things in person. Thats the only drawback of being at school. I'm stuck in NOVA where the only things that happen are suburban shopping centers, office parks, and cookie cutter mcmansion neighborhoods....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I detect a little bit of hostility towards NOVA. You don't like NOVA it seems to have alot going on up there. DC is not that far away either. :wacko:

I love going to D.C. Taking the metro is great. Even in Richmond I don't care much for the suburban developments. For the most part they are the same as every other suburbia. Perhaps once Fairfax starts to build REAL Urban centers, and have less traffic, I'll warm to it a bit. Don;t get me wrong, its a good area with good schools and lots of money (it's the main engine in the state's economy), I just prefer home, kinda like you Russ. :)

I love going to D.C. Taking the metro is great. Even in Richmond I don't care much for the suburban developments. For the most part they are the same as every other suburbia. Perhaps once Fairfax starts to build REAL Urban centers, and have less traffic, I'll warm to it a bit. Don;t get me wrong, its a good area with good schools and lots of money (it's the main engine in the state's economy), I just prefer home, kinda like you Russ. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well now you kind of understand me a little bit more. :thumbsup:

Carytown Watermelon Festival was today....wish I could've gone. Each year over 100,000 people flock to carytown for the festival to get some of that great melon, and some big discounts at the stores. There was also 120 musical acts on 10 stages all day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And according to Ray McAllister in today's (Sunday's) TD, there was a big Carribbean Festivl yeserday in the Bottom at the Farmer's Market. Apparently thousands attended.

it used to....now its got this stupid Metro Business thing in the TD every monday. It's a wannabe business journal. With everything going on in the area, its embarassing not to have a real one like insidebiz....:(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well perhaps soon. With Richmond booming all over the place I wouldn't doubt soon it could happen. I think the parent company of the Va Pilot publishes Inside Business.

Well perhaps soon. With Richmond booming all over the place I wouldn't doubt soon it could happen. I think the parent company of the Va Pilot publishes Inside Business.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think The Virginian Pilot owners also publish Richmond's highly acclaimed STYLE WEEKLY as well as Norfolk's (ahem, cough, not as highly acclaimed ;);) ) PORTFOLIO.

It appears the CAA basketball tournament will be leaving Richmond. Norfolk and Baltimore are among the bidding cities, I believe.

I hope Larry Wilson's departure from the Richmond Coliseum had nothing to do with the facility losing the tournament. I think he was a very good manager. Let's hope an equally good replacement can be found. ^_^<_<