Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

OK, this is enough to piss me off and want Richmond to join the race! We're the Capital for goodness sakes! We should have the tallest! We've had the tallest for so long only to have it taken away now?! So, what developer is going to step up to the plate?

IMG_0288.jpg

Yes, BUT this structure is STILL technically taller. We can justify it anyway we want, but it doesn't negate the fact that we no longer own the tallest in Virginia. I think the sign was just begging for a competitor and I would just love Richmond to contend. I don't like to be defeated and Richmond shouldn't either! :D

On a sad note, my cousin who owned a barber shop in Shockoe Bottom has passed on Memorial Day. I don't know what's to become of her shop. I hope some of her immediate family and friends can keep it going.

Sorry to hear about your cousin, Cam.. I send my condolences to you and your family.

OK, this is enough to piss me off and want Richmond to join the race! We're the Capital for goodness sakes! We should have the tallest! We've had the tallest for so long only to have it taken away now?! So, what developer is going to step up to the plate?

IMG_0288.jpg

That is really annoying that they would put that on a sign up there. <_<

Edited by TBurban

Yes, BUT this structure is STILL technically taller. We can justify it anyway we want, but it doesn't negate the fact that we no longer own the tallest in Virginia. I think the sign was just begging for a competitor and I would just love Richmond to contend. I don't like to be defeated and Richmond shouldn't either! :D

We'll get more height if/when demand warrants it. Currently, we've got plenty to revitalize, we're getting some nice urban infill, and we've got decent density. Honestly, I'd rather have better retail downtown before some big tower. You've got to fill a big tower with something. Not that I would turn down a new tallest or anything... in fact, I'm hoping that somehow what may be planned on the triangle lot will get us a new tallest and hopefully our second spire (one that actually sits above the other towers). Don't feel defeated... even with its "Ours is bigger than yours" title, Virginia Beach has a LOT of catching up to do.

Also Cam, I must have missed your last comment about your cousin when I read that post originally. Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully the business can be salvaged :unsure:

IMG_0288.jpg

Why does being the capital mean you have to have the tallest? We have over a 1/2 miilion more people

What's funny is that without the spire on the Westin, Richmond has at least 2 towers that are actually taller.

Well, not to split hairs Coupe, but the spire which is that needle at the top, is still under construction. The base that the spire sits atop, or more appropriately the crown, brings the tower to 460ft I believe. But going by your definition, other that Monroe, I have trouble seeing what the 2nd tower you're referring to is. Without anything on top, the tower is 413ft tall. What building, other that Monroe, is taller than that in Virginia? :huh:

Sorry to hear about your cousin, Cam.. I send my condolences to you and your family.

That is really annoying that they would put that on a sign up there. <_<

Yeah, I can see how that might be a bit of overkill. I think they did it more as splashy advertising than anything else though.

Sorry, I was considering the spire and crown to be one in the same, so to split the hair, you'd be correct. (Guess I should improve my skyscraper diction :lol: ) I was looking at the tower up to the "crown" going by a rendering on the Westin's website. It's listed under photos>renderings and titled "Height Comparison: Armada Hoffler Tower vs. Westin Tower." Unless the rendering is incorrect, it puts the tower--minus "crown and spire"--at clearly less than 400'.

Given the rendering's information (maybe it's out of date?), Richmond's SunTrust Plaza sits at 400.5', joining the 400+ club with the Monroe Tower. I can't make out the height actually listed on the rendering as it is too small, but if it is less than 393 ft, then it would also be shorter than the Federal Reserve.

Sorry for the confusion even though none of it really matters since the Westin is still the tallest in the state. Perhaps you could clear up the confusion on the split hair though?

Also, thanks for the visual, but I'd hope I were well aware of the details on Richmond's tallest buildings :lol: It may be useful to others though.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Sorry, I was considering the spire and crown to be one in the same, so to split the hair, you'd be correct. (Guess I should improve my skyscraper diction :lol: ) I was looking at the tower up to the "crown" going by a rendering on the Westin's website. It's listed under photos>renderings and titled "Height Comparison: Armada Hoffler Tower vs. Westin Tower." Unless the rendering is incorrect, it puts the tower--minus "crown and spire"--at clearly less than 400'.

Given the rendering's information (maybe it's out of date?), Richmond's SunTrust Plaza sits at 400.5', joining the 400+ club with the Monroe Tower. I can't make out the height actually listed on the rendering as it is too small, but if it is less than 393 ft, then it would also be shorter than the Federal Reserve.

Sorry for the confusion even though none of it really matters since the Westin is still the tallest in the state. Perhaps you could clear up the confusion on the split hair though?

The article for the topping out ceremony put the buildings height at 413ft to the roof. Planning dept. officials give the figure of 458ft to the base of the spire/top of the crown and 525ft to the top of the spire. I'll find a link to the topping out article and post it here.

Vdogg, thanks but it really isn't that big of a deal. No need to go through all the trouble. I'm fine taking your word on it. I was just going by apparently false information on the Westin's website unless the heights you mention above include height above sea level. The point I was trying to make to Eric is that we really aren't that far behind as far as height goes... it's the aesthetic touches that make a difference. Hopefully Richmond's future towers will include more. :)

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Did you see where I got my information from? It's not as if I was just pulling numbers out of the air and I certainly know the heights of Richmond's tallest buildings, but thanks for taking the time to go through all that when I already took your word for it. It seems that the Westin folks have not updated the rendering on their website, which would be nice so others don't come across as fools... I'd throw in the visual, but don't really feel like doing a screenshot, crop, save, upload, post etc etc.

And in the end, I was merely trying to help Eric out... as most of you know I personally don't really care much at all who's is bigger than who's :)... though others are certainly more than entitled to have the concern.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

"But we're the capital! " So said Albany and Springfield. Followed by a few others...

Hey I see that the settlement of Henricus does belong to Henrico, while most of the park is in Chesterfield. Although I still want to know when Henrico gave Farrar Island to Chesterfield.

http://www.co.henrico.va.us/maps/fdisplay2...m=460&mtp=t

Edited by Cadeho

Hey... has anyone noticed the color satellite photo local live uses now? It's pretty neat... and dated... I can see that so much has not been built or demolished. Thalhimer's is still standing! But 6th Street Marketplace isn't... so it's 2004... probably September, definitely post Gaston. Riverside's still under construction. Then in the birds eye view, they switch times of the year! One pic can be green, another dark and brown. There's one pic of my house, the car's out front, so I was off... the time looks to be about 2PM by the buses lined up outside Kennedy, my grandmother's cars are still on the street... the sun's angle is low and the trees are quite bare, I figure the picture was taken December 12, 2005! Yeah... I think I'm that good. I wonder what I was doing then?

I can finally follow Three Chopt's original path from the air... and I can see it!

Edited by Cadeho

Why does being the capital mean you have to have the tallest? We have over a 1/2 miilion more people

AAAAAWWWW guys, I'm just having a little fun! No need to take it too personal. I'd just like to see a friendly competition between Richmond and VA Beach developers, that's all. At worst, we'd get taller buildings! Besides, it looks like the developer of the Westin is begging for the competition based on his over zealous banner flying atop his tower! All I'm saying is that Richmond developers should respond to that banner with, "BRING IT ON!" Of course, I'd like to fill those tall towers too. :thumbsup:

AAAAAWWWW guys, I'm just having a little fun! No need to take it too personal. I'd just like to see a friendly competition between Richmond and VA Beach developers, that's all. At worst, we'd get taller buildings! Besides, it looks like the developer of the Westin is begging for the competition based on his over zealous banner flying atop his tower! All I'm saying is that Richmond developers should respond to that banner with, "BRING IT ON!" Of course, I'd like to fill those tall towers too. :thumbsup:

Trust me, he is. Divaris likes to brag, alot (example, putting that ridiculous spire on top of the AH tower just to beat dominion tower downtown. The thing doesn't even mesh well with the building <_< .) I see nothing wrong with a little friendly competition though. It's a win/win for all involved since all of VA's cities have been lacking in the height department for their respective sizes. :)

Well, vdogg and Russ. It may not have the tallest, but Richmond will soon have the first Ice Bar on the East Coast. See our Dining Out Thread for details. (You don't have one of those, either. :P )

How do you like them apples? :lol:

:D That ice bar is pretty neat.

Trust me, he is. Divaris likes to brag, alot (example, putting that ridiculous spire on top of the AH tower just to beat dominion tower downtown. The thing doesn't even mesh well with the building <_< .) I see nothing wrong with a little friendly competition though. It's a win/win for all involved since all of VA's cities have been lacking in the height department for their respective sizes. :)

I agree totally. Now if we can just get the Richmond developers to join in...we'd have a nice little, friendly competition going on! :w00t:

A Jackson Ward movie?! A movie movie? Not an educational thing for the schools?

"Aaron is a young cop walking a thin moral tightrope. He spends his days patrolling the streets of his small southern town." WHAT?!

Haha Marc John Jefferies... the PeoplePC kid. He just had a birthday recently.

We need more movies actually set in Richmond than us being DC or some other place.

We've got Texas Beach and Belle Isle. :w00t:

And I'll add the unofficially named (by me) Tredegar Beach.

Edited by Cadeho