Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

I have been having some difficulty in posting. Something went wrong when I was trying to post a review in Dining out Scene. So I turned off computer, rested it a bit, and now it seems to work again. That explains a blank spot in Dining Out thread. Hope it has corrected itself.

Tommy, let's go bear hunting!

I last heard it was seen near Innsbrook. How in the world can people miss something that big?

Haha! Thank god it didn't pass through the woods behind my house in Twin Hickory! I was out there yesterday and Friday!!

I'll be gone for a while... have fun! :)

You too, G! See ya when you get back! :hi:

Sunday night, an Amtrak train (I think it was the southbound Silver Meteor) speeding along at 70 mph crashed into and split in half a car stuck between closed gates on the CSX line near Chester, about 20 miles south of Richmond. The sole female occupant of the vehicle miraculously survived and is in serious condition at VCU Medical.

A couple of years ago two men were stupidly lying between the rails in the same area and barely escaped death when an Amtrak express barrelled down the tracks toward them.

Actually, the Sunday night Florida train was just a few minutes off schedule, but needless to say, it was held at the crash site for a couple of hours causing frustrating delays to passengers all along the line.

Edited by burt

Hey anyone know Charles Pyle? Wasn't he Chuck Murphy back in the day on channel 12? I used to be mesmerized by that mustache when I was little.

I biked past your office yesterday, Cam! =]

Sorry I haven't been around much, fellas. This is my busiest summer on record. I still have to go shopping for upcoming vacations. I will be going out west for 10 days as of June 30th. Have fun! =]

I ain't sayin'!!!

How's California?

Sorry Burt, I just moved our conversation over here...anyway, California is...well...OK, but I don't have a place to live yet. I've been "pirating" the Internet from people who have wireless in different locations around here, so I'm not officially back yet. We have found a house and have placed an offer on it (the offer was accepted), but we are just waiting to close (probably sometime in the middle of July or so). I'll keep everyone updated. Until then, I'm still a nomad with nowhere to go. :cry: By the way, why "ain't you sayin'"? You ain't ashamed now are ya? It won't make any difference to me how old you are, I'm just curious. Pleassssssssse????

Sorry Burt, I just moved our conversation over here...anyway, California is...well...OK, but I don't have a place to live yet. I've been "pirating" the Internet from people who have wireless in different locations around here, so I'm not officially back yet. We have found a house and have placed an offer on it (the offer was accepted), but we are just waiting to close (probably sometime in the middle of July or so). I'll keep everyone updated. Until then, I'm still a nomad with nowhere to go. :cry: By the way, why "ain't you sayin'"? You ain't ashamed now are ya? It won't make any difference to me how old you are, I'm just curious. Pleassssssssse????

I don't understand why people obsess about other peoples' ages. :dunno: That you are in your upper 40's doesn't affect my respect for your insights. :P Suffice it to say I'm in my retirement years.

Here's hoping your family and yourself adapt quickly to life in California. I lived there for a number of years. You're a bit away from the high life up there between LAX and SFO, but the state has so much beauty and diversity I predict the family will not want to return east after experiencing the heights of the Sierras and sea mist from the Pacific.

Edited by burt

Ok, the lights on City Hall are officially tacky! There are so many burned out bulbs and whole stings not even lit! Please Wilder, think of a better scheme... it's alright for Christmas, but not the whole year. I'd much rather the top panels that don't match the rest fo the building be back lit or something! And the Wachovia at the James Center... someone please fix its lights! It looks terrible having the top left shining, the top right out, the middle right shining, the middle left out, and the bottom one being all that's lit! Turn the lights back on Vistas! Turn them back on the CNB! Come on, we have a nighttime image being wounded here!

Edited by Cadeho

Ok, the lights on City Hall are officially tacky! There are so many burned out bulbs and whole stings not even lit! Please Wilder, think of a better scheme... it's alright for Christmas, but not the whole year. I'd much rather the top panels that don't match the rest fo the building be back lit or something! And the Wachovia at the James Center... someone please fix its lights! It looks terrible having the top left shining, the top right out, the middle right shining, the middle left out, and the bottom one being all that's lit! Turn the lights back on Vistas! Turn them back on the CNB! Come on, we have a nighttime image being wounded here!

Amen, Cam! There's no excuse for not maintaining light featurea at the tops of buildings.

Amen, Cam! There's no excuse for not maintaining light featurea at the tops of buildings.

Add Berry Burk to that list, they only had the red light on for about 6 months till they all burned out or they were turned off. I think they had it on long enough to attract interest, then killed it.

Maybe Forbes only included the 40 largest metros in the ranking?

Per capita income strikes me as a factor, especially if it isnt cost of living adjusted. Crime rate and available housing are my two other factors. Now this time next year I will be concerned with the explosion of housing about to take effect with several thousand units to be ready and all. But right now if you think about, how many companies here can really attract people my age? Richmond wasn't my first choice to be honest... and it had to do with these factors I mentioned and just the lack of marketing on the part of the city.

Plus advertising in Forbes is always a good way to get a good review... IMO.