Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Burt, Vdogg put it at the top so that it would be more prominent :thumbsup:

As for the forbes rankings, I don't think Richmond was included... only the top 40 largest metros were included in the list and Richmond isn't one of them.

Is Norfolk proper in the top 40 largest? It would be if metro areas were counted. And Richmond's metro is larger than Raleigh's metro (which does not include Durham).

Forbes simply missed the boat on this ranking.

PS, it wasn't I who asked about M/WV placement, but have to admit I have wondered why it's where it is.

Even if Richmond just didn't make it into the top 40 based on merit (though I don't think that is the case), it would seem the results here contradict so many other good things Forbes and others have recently said about career opportunities, business opportunities, and attraction of the Creative Class in Richmond.

Even if Richmond just didn't make it into the top 40 based on merit (though I don't think that is the case), it would seem the results here contradict so many other good things Forbes and others have recently said about career opportunities, business opportunities, and attraction of the Creative Class in Richmond.

In total agreement, Coupe. That's why I said Forbes just missed the boat on this ranking.

Well, may be. But still, Richmond's metro is larger than Raleigh's, and that city got a high ranking.

I think I'll chime in here on how I think the top 40 metros were picked. Forbes probably used combined MSAs, called CSAs- such as Washington/Baltimore, which each have their own MSA but are also considered part of a larger combined MSA. Richmond's MSA of 1,194,008 (which includes the tri-cities) is larger than Raleigh's MSA (994,551). But Raleigh is also the core city in a larger combined metro called the Raleigh-Durham-Cary CSA with 1,565,223. Richmond is not currently part of a CSA. I'm almost positive this is why Richmond did not make the rankings.

Edited by mclawsdrive

I think I'll chime in here on how I think the top 40 metros were picked. Forbes probably used combined MSAs, called CSAs- such as Washington/Baltimore, which each have their own MSA but are also considered part of a larger combined MSA. Richmond's MSA of 1,194,008 (which includes the tri-cities) is larger than Raleigh's MSA (994,551). But Raleigh is also the core city in a larger combined metro called the Raleigh-Durham-Cary CSA with 1,565,223. Richmond is not currently part of a CSA. I'm almost positive this is why Richmond did not make the rankings.

You and Coupe are probably right, but by that reasoning you'd think the 34th ranking would go to Virginia Beach since it is the largest of the 7 cities in that particular CSA of almost 1.6 million.

Richmond, by the way, is among the top 49 MSA's which I read in a story today at inRich on another subject.

http://www.ci.richmond.va.us/applications/...einfo/index.asp

set the dates so that it includes everything from January 1st, then the type of crime

To make it easy, the current count is 23 for 2007, down from 40 in the same time frame in 2006.

That means the homicide rate is down almost 43% compared to 2006.

I wonder how many homicides in C'ville year-to-date?

http://www.ci.richmond.va.us/applications/...einfo/index.asp

set the dates so that it includes everything from January 1st, then the type of crime

To make it easy, the current count is 23 for 2007, down from 40 in the same time frame in 2006.

That means the homicide rate is down almost 43% compared to 2006.

Thank you for the link. That is even lower than I expected and sufficently shut him up. Now I am curious to C-ville's count...

I suspect Charlottesville's count will be fairly low

Yeah, only 3 in 2006...

They've also been having some unfortunate goings-on with unruly types around the Pavillion and elsewhere along the mall. Just big city problems in a not so big city.

But Charlottesville is a gem and Richmond is lucky to be so near. Vice versa, too!

Newmovers Overview

So, I've been a Richmonder for 1 & 1/2 months and had some interesting experiences thus far.

Job

I relocated here on a job offer. Work has been good and I have no major complaints. It was a great transition and given the company's presence it is certainly offers the opportunity to move, if necessary.

Living

I reside in the cusp of Shockoe & Churchill. It's a great area in that the dynamics provide a good mix of home and activity right in it's backyard, per se. Some of the homes are amazing, given the history. I really like the area and it's proximity to work is excellent. I do find that for the amenties, size, parking issues, other miscellanous aspects, and the rents are certainly higher than comparable cities with often better accomdations overall. I reside in of the highest rated apartment in the area and I was not impressed with the "what you get for the $$$". I've lived in two metro areas and I found that Richmond prices are at metro rates w/o truly metro living amenities, IMHO.

Entertainment

This one, it's hard for me to elaborate solely because I have worked so frequently I have barely enjoyed the City. So, I'll have to come back to this at a latter date. I will say that the commute to Norfolk is yucky; I went down on a few occasions and it felt like I was driving to DC :D

Amenities/Lifestyle/Public Services

Not sure if this is the right title, but I'm referring to everyday services any family would peruse. Cavalier Telephone is hands down the WORSE utility company I have ever had to deal with and I only hope that my relationship with them will be short. Rudest customer service. I also blame in part to the owners of this building who would wire with one carrier who is not the Telecom (long story).

More specific to downtown, I think there is a big failure of along E Broad and getting major retailers in the area. I cannot understand this. For me, I'm not sure space is a good excuse considering I've seen cities like Midtown Atlanta and areas of DC have retailers located on 1st or 2nd floors of multilevel buildings or they build high and have retailers stacked multilevel. Lot of opportunity in downtown but not truly perused. I hate I have to travel 10 mi to get to a Walmart, Target, etc...

Travelling is a breeze for the most part. I absolutely hate the roads. I already had a flat and experienced some damage due to street parking. Roads are bad all around the River district.

Restaurants. Richmond gets an A just due to the variety. Love the fact chains are not in an influx but I noticed you will only find them in strategic areas, not always accessible along highway exits and such.

The people. Honestly, I have met a lot of transplants thus far. Hard to say if I get a since of community feeling maybe simliar to what goes on or around the 757 area code.

History. VA is full of history. No need to elaborate here. I definitely want to spend some more time learning more about history in regards to architecture, neighborhoods, and real estate. At some point I hope to invest in the area.

Overall

So is RVA my final home? Not sure! I could see myself leaving and coming back at a latter date, possibly when my family were to expand. While, I have never been a great fan of NOVA, it's likely I could be there due to a job transfer.

I'm happy to be back in the state of VA. I hope I experience all the fruits RVA has to offer. I look forward to watching the growth take place in this City. I think there is so much potential, as long as plans to build enrich the community and not just the Investors.

Thanks to all for all the help that was provided during my transition.

Edited by cityhopper

Newmovers Overview

So, I've been a Richmonder for 1 & 1/2 months and had some interesting experiences thus far.

Job

I relocated here on a job offer. Work has been good and I have no major complaints. It was a great transition and given the company's presence it is certainly offers the opportunity to move, if necessary.

Living

I reside in the cusp of Shockoe & Churchill. It's a great area in that the dynamics provide a good mix of home and activity right in it's backyard, per se. Some of the homes are amazing, given the history. I really like the area and it's proximity to work is excellent. I do find that for the amenties, size, parking issues, other miscellanous aspects, and the rents are certainly higher than comparable cities with often better accomdations overall. I reside in of the highest rated apartment in the area and I was not impressed with the "what you get for the $$$". I've lived in two metro areas and I found that Richmond prices are at metro rates w/o truly metro living amenities, IMHO.

Entertainment

This one, it's hard for me to elaborate solely because I have worked so frequently I have barely enjoyed the City. So, I'll have to come back to this at a latter date. I will say that the commute to Norfolk is yucky; I went down on a few occasions and it felt like I was driving to DC :D

Amenities/Lifestyle/Public Services

Not sure if this is the right title, but I'm referring to everyday services any family would peruse. Cavalier Telephone is hands down the WORSE utility company I have ever had to deal with and I only hope that my relationship with them will be short. Rudest customer service. I also blame in part to the owners of this building who would wire with one carrier who is not the Telecom (long story).

More specific to downtown, I think there is a big failure of along E Broad and getting major retailers in the area. I cannot understand this. For me, I'm not sure space is a good excuse considering I've seen cities like Midtown Atlanta and areas of DC have retailers located on 1st or 2nd floors of multilevel buildings or they build high and have retailers stacked multilevel. Lot of opportunity in downtown but not truly perused. I hate I have to travel 10 mi to get to a Walmart, Target, etc...

Travelling is a breeze for the most part. I absolutely hate the roads. I already had a flat and experienced some damage due to street parking. Roads are bad all around the River district.

Restaurants. Richmond gets an A just due to the variety. Love the fact chains are not in an influx but I noticed you will only find them in strategic areas, not always accessible along highway exits and such.

The people. Honestly, I have met a lot of transplants thus far. Hard to say if I get a since of community feeling maybe simliar to what goes on or around the 757 area code.

History. VA is full of history. No need to elaborate here. I definitely want to spend some more time learning more about history in regards to architecture, neighborhoods, and real estate. At some point I hope to invest in the area.

Overall

So is RVA my final home? Not sure! I could see myself leaving and coming back at a latter date, possibly when my family were to expand. While, I have never been a great fan of NOVA, it's likely I could be there due to a job transfer.

I'm happy to be back in the state of VA. I hope I experience all the fruits RVA has to offer. I look forward to watching the growth take place in this City. I think there is so much potential, as long as plans to build enrich the community and not just the Investors.

Thanks to all for all the help that was provided during my transition.

First off... Welcome City! Now I know each person has their own opinion and that is what makes this forum thing work... and in actuality when I first moved to Richmond myself I shared the same views on things as you did, the issues as such. But you have arrived at a good time. The influx of mixed use developments in downtown Richmond is occurring, in fact by the end of next year certain parts of the city close to you will have been completely transformed. Along the entertainment lines, you are now a few blocks from Toads Place, a huge venue for food and concerts... and not to mention the prevailing nightlife in the bottom. If you are a brew fan, well there are several local breweries around that are world renown, or if you prefer other micro-brews, I recommend Capital Ale House up Main St a bit between 6th and 7th Streets. Or just peruse the dining out forum, which just recently a call came out for downtown eating destinations, and the response was overwhelming, which should easily give you a restuarant destination for the next few weeks!

My recommendation is to troll the forums a bit and see what is going on around you. If I am judging your placement right, you will be interested in the forums on the Shockoe Bottom and Slip, Downtown development, Rocketts Landing, and well the list goes on.. in fact just check back often and the forums that are the most active correspond to the hottest developments going, which 85% of are downtown... hottest in favorable opinions at least.

Welcome to Richmond and hope you enjoy!

Coupe stop going to the islands without us! :angry:

cityhopper welcome to Richmond and the East End. Amen to what you said about E. Broad. I've been lamenting for ages and it gets shrugged off by the spoiled subrubanites here who enjoy the status quo. Other cities have done it, we have the population, we have everything, yet there are some deep issues our city has that they just won't work through to dispel bad myths and stereotypes. I so long for the day I can do all my rounds downtown.